Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 4runner and some front end concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4runner and some front end concerns

Howdy guys,

I recently posted about trading my 2001 impreza for an 89 4runner and I've come across only one issue when inspecting the truck.

The body rust was absolutely minimal for a 25 year old vehicle, which was really surprising to me, and upon a decent looking over I found absolutely no rust on the frame whatsoever. There seemed to be no leaks from the oil pan, head gasket valve covers or anywhere else that I could notice. The wheel wells were in good order. It has a salvaged title because apparently the previous owner wrecked it on the passenger side, but he was a body guy by trade and fixed it up himself with the money from the insurance claim, and then painted the whole thing with Rhino lining.

The interior was pretty nasty, nothing that a good cleaning won't fix, but none of the wiring seemed to be chaotic and jerry rigged, but I've yet to check behind the dashboard. The rear window however was jerry rigged, but still worked. I feel like it's something I'll be fixing in the near future if I still decide to go through with this trade.

The only major issue I found was the outside boots of the cv axles were torn and I decided the whole axle would need replacing. After talking it over with the guy I'm trying to decided on a total trade something like this:

My car in exchange for 2 new cv axles, a 22 rifle and 200 rounds of ammunition to go with it.

From the sounds of it, he's gonna go with the trade and I'll have me a new 4runner to start tinkering with and eventually turn into a South America-kayak-toting-raft-carrying-adventure-mobile.

My now long overdue question for yall masters of the yotatech is the following. How easy will it be to replace my cv axles, and if I replace everything else on the front end like pitman arms, ball joints, tie rod ends?

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
As always, you must rely on The Good Book: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...onandaxle.html

Replacing the half-shafts is actually pretty common at this vintage; a brief search here will turn up scores of postings on that. The cost of replacing the boots (you need both inner and outer because you remove the inner to get to the outer) is high enough that using a rebuilt often costs less!

There is one trick that trips up many who tackle this task. The half-shafts will NOT come out if the front wheels are dangling on jack stands. It has to do with the angles. Instead, the suspension has to be compressed as though the wheels were on the ground (I use a jack under the hub to lift it just enough.) Then the half-shafts will pop right out.

Why do you want to replace the rest of the front end? These aren't "maintenance" items, and there are tests for each component you mention.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 AM

^^ what he said. CV axles are very common to replace, plenty of info out there about "tips and tricks" in replacing them
Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
As always, you must rely on The Good Book: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...onandaxle.html

Replacing the half-shafts is actually pretty common at this vintage; a brief search here will turn up scores of postings on that. The cost of replacing the boots (you need both inner and outer because you remove the inner to get to the outer) is high enough that using a rebuilt often costs less!

There is one trick that trips up many who tackle this task. The half-shafts will NOT come out if the front wheels are dangling on jack stands. It has to do with the angles. Instead, the suspension has to be compressed as though the wheels were on the ground (I use a jack under the hub to lift it just enough.) Then the half-shafts will pop right out.

Why do you want to replace the rest of the front end? These aren't "maintenance" items, and there are tests for each component you mention.
Wow, that is the good book if I've ever seen one!

I'm just considering replacing them because from what I had been told, they were all original. I should test them when I actually acquire the truck and I most likely will.

I've searched on the forums for replacing cv axles, but hot damn I must be one of them not so smart southerners. All my searches seem to be pulling up nothing related to cv axles and typically show more of the "Main" threads on here. Maybe one of you boys could edumacate me
Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Just google toyota pickup cv axle replacement how to. See what comes up
Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
In google, use something like :
cv replacement site:yotatech.com
that asks google to concentrate on THIS site, and you get a little more user-friendly search power than you do with the otherwise excellent search function on this site.
This guy https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-158106/ has a lot of good pictures, but he's certainly not authoritative, Plus, you need a cat.