Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 4runner broken Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4runner broken Camshaft

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ueless-221521/

Above is a link to my last post about what happened to the 4runner. Work finally slowed down to a point i could work on my Runner. So there was what happened to it...

quick rundown 89 4runner, 217xxx miles, 22RE *BUSTED*

Heres what i found. Pulled the valve cover to check the timing chain etc...Start moving everything to TDC and see only half of my cam is turning. Its no supposed to do that!!! However i did see that the Timing components did look fairly new, Chain was in good shape, Sprocket looked good, teeth werent worn and pointed. This has been changed previously at some point before i purchased it.

The shaft was broke just before the 2nd holddown. I removed the rocker arm assy. As i was removing the bolts for that i noticed the intake side bolts turned easier....when they pulled out they were oil covered and slid out with ease. Exhaust side was much tougher to turn the bolts, (yes i loosened them in the correct pattern according to the repair manual) When they came out the middle 3 were covered with a smutty looking crud. The 2 end ones slid out and were oil covered just like the intake side. This seemed odd to me...not sure of the cause hoping you guys could tell me if this is normal or not.

Upon removing the hold downs to remove the cam i find the front one is busted (from too much end pressure...it was the only one holding the front half of the cam) but the area the cam rode in was nice and smooth. The 2nd was burnt slam up. Aluminum spun all around it blocking off the oil hole and everything and thusly ruining my head ( i assume) The 3rd was also in good shape, no wear there.

My main question is what would cause this...I'm assume low oil flow. But why only the middle holddown? The gauge in the truck ran maybe at 1/8 while idling before this happend and a lil under 1/2 at speed. I was told this was somewhat normal for a truck this old with 217K+ miles. Is it possible something is clogged or what?

What should be my next course of action?

Of course im looking a new head assy. Found some on ebay complete with new cam, valves etc, just have to reuse my rocker arm assy. But what else should be addressed while I've the motor apart. Looking to just get it back and reliable to drive back and forth to work. Gas continuing to creep higher is killing me as my F150 is a HOG compared to the Runner!

Again sorry for a long post but hopefully its easier to read than the previous one!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
If you're shopping on eBay make sure the parts are coming from a reliable source. There are a lot of crap forgeries out there that take pictures from sites with good quality merchandise and pawn it off for their crap. Search on here about fake 3.0 HGs, personally I recommend going to Engnbldr and getting one of Tim's brand new recast heads. I have one and most of the guys on here use them.

I have a few questions, so your rig has 217k miles on. Is this the first time you've taken the motor apart? Were there any recent issues or repairs? 22res are pretty indestructable and last forever, in comparison to other motor designs, 200+k is getting close to the time of part fatigue. Perhaps a valve went and the cam was sacrificed during interference. Perhaps there was an oil starvation from gunk building up in the passages in the valve train. Perhaps there was an overheating issue between those two cylinders. A busted cam is unfortunate but if it is an isolated failure they are pretty cheap.

Pull the head and send it to a machine shop to make sure nothing else is wrong. Either parts wash you valve train or see if the machine shop can hot tank it, sometimes they won't do items with lots of little pieces that can come off and get lost. Replace anything that is beyind salvage and rebuild.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
You can do a bargain basement topend rebuild for around $300. Add $400 if you need a head. Add more if you want to shoot for the moon. 22res are easy to work on and easy, relatively, on the wallet.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A warped head ( cam bearing bores out of alignent ) can cause this ,also to great a runout in the cam shaft itself. Your bolts are normal .In the hotter areas of head the oil will be carbonized/ burnt onto the bolt threads.