86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 22re FlameThrower Injector Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
89 22re FlameThrower Injector Review

So I was one of the lucky few to get a set of the Bosch FlameThrowers for my pickup. Here's my take on them:

I noticed 2 physical differences (other than the color) between the old stock injectors and the new FlameThrowers. The first is that there are 2 o-rings at the top of the Bosch injectors v. only 1 o-ring on the stock injectors. I'm sure this will help ensure a better seal to prevent leaks. The second difference is the number/size of holes at the bottom of the injectors. The FlameThrowers have 4 smaller holes while the stock injectors have 2 larger holes. The holes on the stock injectors look to be about twice the size of the holes in the FlameThrowers so that adds up as to how they still achieve the same flow rates. Having twice as many holes that are half the size is how they achieve better atomization of the fuel, I'm sure. Overall, I think the design is very good.....simple changes that are much better than the stock injectors.

The install was pretty straight forward and most people know how to take off their intake plenum so I won't go too far into that. I will say that the new injectors come with the required gasket for your intake plenum which is also very helpful so you don't have to order things from 2 or more places to upgrade to these injectors. They also came with all the right seals for the injectors themselves and pigtails to hook them up to your stock wiring harness. Everything fit right and sealed up good. No leaks anywhere on the first try!

I had unhooked the battery connections while doing the work so the ECU has some learning to do again, but the idle was noticeably smoother and more steady than before. There's WAY less fluctuation in the idle speed. I verified this with my timing light, not just my ears. The driving results were impressive. I went for a short drive this evening on some secondary roads in the hills where I live after completing the swap-out. I didn't notice anything majorly different in the low-end range although I seemed to run thru all the gears a little quicker than normal and I did notice a slight improvement in the throttle response. What stood out the most was the power increase in higher gears. There is one hill in particular that I have to drive up when going to work that I normally have to down-shift into 3rd about halfway up the hill because the truck just feels like it wants to die. Now, with the FlameThrowers, I went up that hill in 4th gear and held 40 MPG the whole way.

Overall, I'm VERY satisfied with the new injectors so far. I noticed immediate improvements (which is always a satisfying feeling after working on your truck) and I hope to see more improvements once the ECU relearns things again and I can get some info as far as my fuel mileage. I'll continue to post updates over the next couple of weeks as I notice them. The only thing that I would change about them is the wiring adapters. They add about 4 inches or so of wiring to each fuel injector and it just looks a little messy down there with the wires twisting around and such. It would be nice if the FlameThrowers could connect directly to the stock harness. This is a miniscule issue at best and I'll definitely take that trade-off for the improvement they've given me. Maybe one day I'll cut the connectors off and resplice the stock wiring to the FlameThrower plug ends, but for now it's fine. I don't know the exact price of these injectors, but I understand it's about the same as the cost to have stock injectors reworked. That's a no-brainer to me.....definitely worth the dollar!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I've run a few tanks of gas thru my truck since I installed the FlameThrowers. I'm a little surprised that my fuel mileage had almost no change. From what others have said they saw an increase in fuel mileage so I was expecting the same. I haven't done any road trips lately so maybe that's why. I'm still holding right around 22 mpg average for my daily driving.....not shabby considering where I live and the roads I have to drive. I do feel a little more power which is always a plus and to not hurt my fuel mileage while getting more power only makes it better so overall I'm very happy with the injectors.