86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 toyota 4runner starting issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
88 toyota 4runner starting issues...

This is another issue besides the other ones I have already posted. I have a clutch switch on the dash that I used to push before starting the truck. It was working fine and at some point stopped working and I had to start pressing the clutch in order to start the truck. Now some times neither of them work, the clutch push switch nor the clutch pedal. When this happens, I have to get out of my truck, having the key switch open, connecting a wire from the starter ignition connector straight to the positive of the battery to start the truck manually from the engine area. Ones it turns on, I go ahead and disconnect the wire I used to start it, reconnect the ignition connector and close the hood. This had happened several times and some of those times it has been very inconvenient to me perhaps because I am dressed up or it is raining in which I can get dirty or wet. Any ideas of what is going on here. Honestly, the only thing I've done is to clean he connection on the starter, check the connections on the clutch start switch, inspect the wires on the key switch area and nothing unusual. Once again, some times this switch works but not most of the time and the clutch also surprises me not working either. Thanx guys!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There should be a small plastic connector on the bottom side of the starter, I think it goes to the relay maybe. Give it a good jiggle or unplug it and clean it. My truck did the same thing for a while and jiggling that plug around fixed it.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 AM

I think that is the connector i am taking about that i disconnect in order to connect the wire that i use to start the truck manually. Then i connect backup once i start the truck. I will check again to see if there is another plastic connector. Thank you...

Last edited by Chaviator; 01-25-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its the connector..got to be hooked up..
Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaviator
I have a clutch switch on the dash that I used to push before starting the truck. It was working fine and at some point stopped working and I had to start pressing the clutch in order to start the truck. Now some times neither of them work, the clutch push switch nor the clutch pedal. When this happens, I have to get out of my truck, having the key switch open, connecting a wire from the starter ignition connector straight to the positive of the battery to start the truck manually from the engine area.
Looks like your starter solenoid (pigybacked on starter motor) is good, but there is no power getting from starter relay to the solenoid.

Next time this happens, I suggest you do this quick check:
While pressing on Clutch OR with clutch safety cancel switch ON, attempt to start.
Do you hear a click behind the glove box? That's the Circuit Opening Relay. If it clicks, your ignition switch is good.
Does starter relay click? If you do not have an assistant, use RAD4Runner's Special Service Tool here =D

If starter relay does not click:
1) Disconnect relay from connector
2) Put negative side of voltmeter on thin black wire with red stripe, pos side of voltmeter on black wire next to it (NOT on black wire diagonally across thin wire)
3) Attempt to start as usual
4) You should get 12 Volts.
If you get 12V volts there, relay coil is likely bad. Check continuity.
If you do not get 12Volts trace positive side of circuit back to ignition switch, negative side of circuit to clutch safety switch (near pedal)/clutch safety cancel switch (dash).

Starter relay clicks but solenoid does not do a thing:

1) Disconnect brown connector thick (AWG12?) from solenoid
2) Attempt to start (starter relay should click).
3) Measure voltage at connector pin. You should get 12V. If you do, chances are your wiring is flawed like many 86-88 4Runners. You get 12Volts there but once solenoid loads the circuit, there is too much resistance in wiring that there's not enough current to energize solenoid coil. Many still work with the flaw because after all there are Toyota's, and Toyota robustness could mask a problem. Wiring flaw is explained here.

Clean and Robust Fix for that wiring flaw is here

86-88 4Runner cranking system explained

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-08-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added details
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Thank uou so much. I have not gotten a chance to get back and try any of the mentioned suggestions, but as soon as I have a chance, I will do the tests, hopefully I figure something out there, I really hope so. I am tired of dealing with this...!