Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 pickup wont start, really odd

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 pickup wont start, really odd

bear with me here, its gona be a little long
So for about a year now my 1988 Toyota 4x4 22re pickup has every now and then not been starting. This happened perhaps once a month, then about once a week, and now it is every time I try and start it.
What is happening is when I turn the key, with or without the safety cancel for the clutch, all the electrical works, I can here the starter engaging as well as the fuel pump, but the truck doesn't start.
Now sometimes when I just sit there holding the key it will suddenly start after a little while, or sometimes it won't. Sometimes I can start it by push starting it (although it might just be coincidence), and sometimes that doesn't work either.
I had an extra starter when down and got it tested, it worked fine, put it in, didn't change a thing
Put in my extra coil, didn't change a thing
Re-stripped the wires going to my battery terminal, as well as cleaned that, didn't help
bypassed the circuit for the safety cancel and little button that the clutch pedal pushes by connecting those two wires, which again didn't work.
Now one thing I have thought is that the prob could be the flywheel, but that makes no sense because sometimes after it won't start, I will try an hour or so later, with out even so much as moving the truck an inch, and it will start, leaving me thinking it is an electrical problem, and also leaving me very confused.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM

I ran into a similar issue with my 87. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 PM

doesnt turn over though

The motor is not turning over, and besides that, if i finally do get it to start the engine is practically flooded and starts pretty rough
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I tried reaing your post and at first thought the starter wasnt engaging then when you mentioned coil and fuel pump I was thinking you meant motor was turning over just not starting.

I have an 88 also and think there is a relay involved somewhere but could be wrong as far as the starter.

On the hard start. When was last tuneup? Check your fuel filter. Just a few things I would start with and see how things go from there.