86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 Pickup 92 engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 Pickup 92 engine

Hey guys, got a pretty big issue for me here.

I've got an 88 pickup with a 92 engine, and basically from what I can tell a hodge-podge of parts and an equal number of problems. Let's start with the biggie first.

Recently I replaced the radiator in my truck due to corroded fins. This involved re-routing the transmission lines from the old radiator (don't ask me why they were there) back into themselves and such as associated with a project like that. Got the radiator replaced no problem, but now I have a new issue.

I was sitting for a couple days (in warmer weather, like 20-30 degrees) at between 1/4 and 1/8 tank gas, and truck would not stay running without gas being applied. Put 20 bucks in today along with a bottle of HEET since I figured there might be water in the gas from having more air space in the tank.

After letting the truck reach operating temp, I took it out for a couple miles, just to see how it would handle. Very rough after a bit, to the point it died multiple times. It actually reached the point where I could not stop the truck because if I did it was going to die again, I managed to nurse it home before it did.

Now it's to this point. My driveway is not very even so the truck usually bounces when I pull out. However, at the current time it will not stay running if I let off the gas, I have to have it at a higher idle before it'll stay going. If I put in in gear it will drop to mu much lower RPMs and even if I floor the gas it will not do more than idle at the same range as if it were in park with your foot barely resting on the pedal. It will not bring the truck forward or back at all. In all honesty it seems to be choking itself out but I don't know why.

I have checked all fuses both in the cab and in engine compartment, all those are good (replaced the two that were blown out); new master cylinder for the brakes, new radiator... I'm completely stumped. I truly have no idea what to do at this point, and I have virtually no money to get any parts. Anybody have any ideas or need more info? I can't think right now.

*EDIT* Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that a few months ago I yanked the O2 sensor out, it was shot to hell anyway so I pulled it to replace it, not realizing that parts for imports up where I live are about 5 times more expensive than the identical part for a domestic! Ergh! So anyway yeah, that might help diagnose the situation here. If I can't figure this out within 2 weeks I'm gonna sell the truck for parts so either way, we'll arrive at a resolution.

Last edited by ghost25; 01-18-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 PM

did you cheak the timing??? could be off
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM

How would I go about doing that? I've done all the work on my own vehicles aside from changing tires (no equipment to do that) but I've never owned a Yota before this so I'm kinda lost here.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 AM

ok. get a 19mm socket and ratchet and put that o the crank pully and spin it till the little notch on the pully is lined up on the number 5 degree mark. thats top dead center. than remove the distributer bolt and take the cap off of it and see where the rotor is compared to the number one plug on the cap. shuld have numbers on it. if its off then take the distributer out just enough to spin the rotor. make shur cheak multipul times when movingit. just go one tooth at a time til it is close andthen u can adjust the distributer alittle bit wile its back into placs.
thats how i do it. if anyone has an easyer way id love to here it
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
i use a timing light. less guess work.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Well, just thought I'd pop on here and give a quick update... looks like last time I tried to turn the truck on, the oil was super-cold so I ended up throwing a rod. At this point, it's just not worth it to try fixing any more, so the truck is now awaiting a ride to the junkyard. Thanks for your help guys, too bad it didn't help. L8r.