Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 pick-up V6 (Running list of To-Do's and Ideas)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 pick-up V6 (Running list of To-Do's and Ideas)

I purchased a 1988 Toyota Pick up last weekend for $1200. V6, Reg-cab, Short-box, 4x4, and she even came with five, 31 inch, AT tires with 50% tread left. It was a VERY good deal.

I've been waiting for a year and a half now for this exact truck truck to pop up somewhere at a low price and here she is. Now I've been driving her for a week and I was expecting something tragic to happen, It was too cheep to be true, and I never had a chance to test drive it (it was a buy it now or forever hold your peace sort of deal), all week I've been scared of a blowing head gasket or something terrible coming but apart from some seriously warped breaks and some screeching when I push in the clutch, and the fact that the guy fitted a miniature flashlight to the steering column to make up for the fact there were no interior lights, Nothing.

My Current maintenance list consists of:

New break pads and routers
New Throw out and pilot bearings
Interior lights
Spark plugs and wires
Alternator flush
New oil and filters

Is there anything General maintenance wise that would be a good idea to add to this list?

Now I'm unsure of Mods I want to give the truck

My current Mods list just consists of:
Bush guard
Bush Lights
Boat rack
Gun rack for behind the seats
Front bumper that will fit a winch

Anybody with any ideas for extra mods for this truck that they have put on their own and enjoyed?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Do you know of any valve adjustments that have been made on the truck? Valve adjustments on these v6s are very important, as well as timing belt replacement. Flush the cooling system well. Folks will tell you to use only toyota red antifrezze, but Ive been using green for years. I do flush mine every two years. Some folks will tell you you are waisting your time with the v6, thats not been my experience at all. I like mine very well and take good care of it. They are not easy to work on and they do take some work, but so does everything else. Good luck with it.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you got a great deal! pics!!!!!!
Look aaround on the fourms, but intake and a e-fan will make the truck a little more fun. I would check the torque on your head bolts as well.