86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 4x4 rear brake keeps self adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 4x4 rear brake keeps self adjusting

So I've searched these forums and did not find anything like my problem. I have an '88 4x4 standard cab. My left rear brake keeps over-adjusting. Ive adjusted the parking brake, checked to make sure all the adjusting mechanism is properly installed, adjusted the levers that are on the rear of the backing plate, and all of these were done per the factory service manual. The wheel cylinder is fairly new and all the return springs connecting the shoes are strong and are installed properly. After I drive for about 10 miles after adjusting everything, my left rear wheel is blazing hot and I have to back the adjuster off again. Drive another 10 and the same thing happens. Could it be possible that whenever I hit the brake pedal, for some reason, that the brakes are adjusting when they are not supposed to?? any Ideas??? I'm really stumped.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aalba92691
So I've searched these forums and did not find anything like my problem. I have an '88 4x4 standard cab. My left rear brake keeps over-adjusting. Ive adjusted the parking brake, checked to make sure all the adjusting mechanism is properly installed, adjusted the levers that are on the rear of the backing plate, and all of these were done per the factory service manual. The wheel cylinder is fairly new and all the return springs connecting the shoes are strong and are installed properly. After I drive for about 10 miles after adjusting everything, my left rear wheel is blazing hot and I have to back the adjuster off again. Drive another 10 and the same thing happens. Could it be possible that whenever I hit the brake pedal, for some reason, that the brakes are adjusting when they are not supposed to?? any Ideas??? I'm really stumped.
You get it figured out aalba? I know it has been awhile since you posted this so I hope so. I just rebuilt both of my rear drums and this just started happening to me so let me know if you found a solution. I believe it adjusts every time you pull the parking brake. But from my understanding of the situation, it shouldn't adjust when it is tight because it can't spread the shoes any further when it is pressed against the drum. I thought at first that it was because I had the parking cable adjusted too tight from when my brake shoes were nearly gone. Let me know if you have it figured out.

Thanks!