Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'88 4runner water hose problem (22re)

Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '88 4runner water hose problem (22re)

hey everyone. i need help identifying and plugging in hoses to the intake. i just put on a new head on my runner and i was down to the last couple steps before i start the engine. as i was putting water in the radiator i saw/heard some water come out the intake, so i immediately stopped and drained most of the water out of the radiator/block. i have spend hours on the net/haynes book/ and toyota factory manual trying to find a hose diagram, with no luck. the lame part is that i have a 91 and 92, but they have a different layout, dont have the part in the white box (from my pic) and dont even have the two hoses that i cant identify, nor can i identify a part that the a couple hoses enter into (white box).If someone has done some work on an 88 22re and has pics, diagrams or insight please help me out. i am down to the last couple hoses and wanna start my baby up. the waiting is killing me, but i dont want to rush anything and brake something. the biggest problem i have is water coming into the intake because i am plugging in water/air hoses wrong. PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

here is a pic from the front, H3 (hose 3) and H4 are from the water pump. H1 carried water into the intake manifold, which is wrong i am guessing.The white box is around some part that for the life of me i cant identify.

here is a top pic, this hose carried water, but the attachment site here dumps the water straight into the intake. (as i had it setup.)

this is a pic from the middle left of the engine, right under the intake manifold.
Name:  bottom.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  27.3 KB
Old 01-10-2009, 10:15 PM

You have H1 right. H4 looks right too.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 PM

H3 is right. H2 I can not see well enough. But since you have the others right, there really is not many more hoses left in that area
Old 01-11-2009, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure man, ive never removed my intake or head. next time i talk to my mechanic, who has, ill ask him for ya. prob be tuesday.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Hey revolt, did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem. This hose diagram doesn't seem to exist and I didn't get good pics of it during disassembly.

I "THINK" this is how it should be:
1. Large coolant bypass hose goes from pipe mounted to water pump to elbow connector on the intake manifold (points towards the rear and is almost directly underneath the thermostat). I think this is not how you've got it connected in your pictures.
2. Small coolant bypass hose goes from pipe mounted to water pump to the small connector closest to the front, facing to the right on the idle air valve. I think this is what you've got in your pictures.
3. Large vacuum hose on front of idle air valve goes to right-most downward facing connector on throttle body. You've got it labeled this way.
4. Large vacuum hose on rear of idle air valve goes to leftward facing hose barb on the intake plenum. I don't think you've got it this way in your pictures.
5. The rearmost right-facing connector on the idle air valve goes to the real long skinny downward-facing connector on the throttle body. You've got it this way but this is one of the connections I'm not as confident about. Isn't that a coolant line? Maybe not. If it's a coolant line it probably shouldn't go to the throttle body...
Old 10-07-2013, 05:55 AM

Wow this is an old thread-

I took my air valve apart once to look inside. I don't remember finding anything much. There is a crescent shaped opening that varies in size depending on a combination of the coolant temperature and 12v heating element during warm-up.
Attached Thumbnails '88 4runner water hose problem (22re)-toyotaairvalve.jpg  
Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I found this picture in my FSM, but it doesn't show much. I looked through a punch of my old pictures and some more I found online and I'm pretty sure I have it right above. The small hose that goes to the throttle body just goes right back out again and into the elbow connector on the top of the manifold right next to the thermostat. They just tee off from the coolant bypass and run it through little passages on the air valve and throttle body for temperature sensing is all. It's kinda goofy, but hey.