Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 4Runner (3.0 V6) Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good call. Did some checking around and not sure is 1 inch is enough to really lift the tank much but there appears to be some replacement options. Will have to do more research on this one.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 AM

Curious if I can get my thread title changed Realizing this one was not well thought out hehe.

Either Webbuff's 88 4Runner Project or My Wife Calls It Betty will work.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 AM

Exclamation

Your diff. breather appears to be resting on the exhaust pipe. I'd be concerned about it melting.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Its just the angle of the shot, saw that too but double checked the clearance when I installed it
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Worked on getting the passenger fender off but stopped at the adhesive used on the top. Did some research and found how to get through it so will hit it again this weekend.

Got the down paid for the 3.4 swap and Cliff is now working on finding me an engine and parts for the install
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Wasn't able to get the fender off to get to the pinch weld so replaced the antennae with the one I purchased from Crutchfield which fit nicely.

Pulled off the wheel well coverings on the front and the chrome trim as it was a little beat up.

I got a used replacement radiator from car-parts.com (90 buck which included shipping) and got it installed. I also obtaining a new replacement fan blade and re-used the fan shroud I had for now. I also installed the 1 inch drop brackets for the radiator to ensure everything was back to stock orientation for the engine swap.

Will spend the next few nights finishing the fluid changes in the front diff, Man trans, and xfer case. This will be the last touches before taking the truck down to Oregon on Friday to have Toyonlyswaps get the swap rolling.

Getting excited to be so close to have a running vehicle
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM

Got all the fluids changed out except the transmission as the socket and the extension I have are too long to get cleanly on the fill plug thanks to the exhaust. Will deal with it when I get the Runner back.

Dropped it off this weekend at Toyonlyswaps to get the conversion started

Will take this time to clean up and reorganize the garage lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Got an email from Cliff today at Toyonlyswaps saying they got pics up on their facebook page of the swap in progress so thought I would share

https://www.facebook.com/pages/toyon...=photos_stream

Last edited by Webbuff; 10-18-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 AM

Got the Runner back this weekend (picked it up Friday and drove it back home).
MAN! what a difference hehe. Though I was not able to really drive it before, I have driven 3.0 4Runners (test drives) as well I owned a 22RE 4Runner before.

The gas pedal is very responsive! Never once did I feel like I there was no go left when I needed to accelerate. No car was un-passable and there seemed to be no end to acceleration. She is fast!

The guys at Toyonlyswaps were great! Always helpful and upfront about all steps of the process. In addition to the swap they were able to replace my radiator (junk yard replacement was trash), timing belt/water pump, and ensured I had a good clutch. They also found out my starter was going and was able to install the 3.4 one with only a small labor charge (50.00).

They were great in accommodating my schedule (Saturday drop off), and they were nice enough to pick us up from our hotel on Friday as a rental car wasn't in the budget (rode the train down from Seattle).

The work looked top rate, and it opened quite a bit of space in the engine bay (pics to follow). They made sure all the touches were done before we drove away which I really appreciated.

If getting this swap done is not something your able to knock out yourself, I would HIGHLY recommend TOS. The cost was totally worth the result!

Last edited by Webbuff; 11-12-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Well now that the holidays are over I can begin progressing again. I have the truck pulled and ready to be pulled apart lol.

Had an interesting development yesterday. I park my vehicle in a park and ride lot and last night when I went to drive home I noticed my exhaust sounded like I was running a V8. I immediately knew what it was and a look under the truck confirmed that someone had stolen my catalytic converter off my Runner. All the bolts and brackets were on the ground.

I even know who did it, as the night before a white 5th gen 4Runner was parked about an inch from my Runner (passenger door to passenger door) and immediately drove away when I pulled up next to my vehicle.

This was obviously that person either casing the truck or I caught them just before they started.

I believe them parking like this was to provide cover for them being under my truck pilfering my hardware.

I saw the same Runner drive into the lot this morning as I was exiting so I know the person is a regular.

I am not terribly torn up about it other than the fact that it was a Toyota person who obviously knew the value of it, but as they were driving a newer 4Runner and has a job (used the park and ride) they obviously weren't doing this out of need but just a**holery!

I am resisting the urge to return the favor (in some form) to his vehicle so he could feel violated too lol.

Let me know what you think? Resist or Revenge?