Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 4Runner (3.0 V6) Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is one well preserved Yoter right there!!!! Im highly jealous of the in-tact-ness of your interior!

I have a 22re, but in the same respect, I also have very limited room being in base housing. I would see about aquiring an over head rafter mounted hoist and remove the hood. Save yourself about 6 ft behind the truck. Lift the motor straight up and roll the truck back to set the motor down on the ground or dolly of some sort to allow yourself to move it around. Or if you get a day where you are able to temporarily move the truck out of the garage, move it back as far as needed and sit an unused motor in the rear of the truck. (on some plastic bags or wood to save the carpet of course) I utilized this method to save floor space when I had my motor torn apart for a rebuild. I laid sheets of plastic in the back of the truck and loaded it up with various parts for storage. Other ways are stackable rubbermade bins for their very small footprint and even sliding large items under the truck.

I can also vouch for the black magic springs. I have the 12 inchers on mine and its sitting as perfect as the day it rolled off the showroom floor....minus my 31s. LOL. GREAT TRUCK YOU HAVE!!!

Last edited by Kingjerd; 07-30-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Why thank you The pictures are a bit deceiving as the interior is a bit dirty but definitely intact. One of the items on the list for it is to do a top down clean of the interior hehe.

Im bummed, still no email. I know I have a few weeks till I will actually be able to buy the engine, but I am impatient for the details hehe.

Think I will spend some time cleaning the garage tonight to keep me busy and see how much space I can squeeze out of it.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Mine is also an 88. My interior is all there, but pieces are broken and the carpet is horribly stained. The previous owner hauled engine parts (clean or not) with it. Now its my DD, Family hauler, wheeling toy...
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 PM

Its whats at heart right? hehe
Old 07-31-2012, 10:57 AM

I heard back from Cliff at toyonlyswaps.com and working out the details currently

Getting super excited!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Well the plan is set. I will be putting a deposit down on the paycheck from 2 weeks from today which will secure me a spot as well as get the ball rolling on Toyonlyswaps.com sourcing an engine.

Spoke to Cliff on the phone (who was super nice) and indicated they would let me know what choices they find.

I am going to then set a date to bring the Runner to them to perform the swap and once complete I give them the rest due

This takes all the stress of figuring out how to do this in my garage out of the equation.

Future upgrades will be done by me personally with help as needed so figured I could slide on this one.

I should have a running truck by mid-September (earliest I would have the second half of the cash) depending ofcourse on their availability and when they get the engine.

Will follow up as I get more details ofcourse.

This weekend is going to be about getting the radiator fixed (or replaced), possibly hitting the pick and pull for a new fan blade/shroud and maybe a passenger door, and picking up a 1" body lift and any tools I may need (jack stands/hydraulic jack).
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 AM

Well didn't get anything done this weekend thanks to being ill. Will have to have the radiator work done next weekend and will be stopping at the parts store tonight after work.

Decided to get the fluids knocked out as I have no idea when the last time it was done on this rig. This will include both diffs, the trans case and the transmission. I am also picking up some brake fluid for the clutch cylinders to see if I can locate the leak (possible the rubber hose portion as there is some build up on the bottom end of it.

I also ordered a body lift kit (with bushings) from 4Crawler to get that knocked out before the engine swap. I only ordered the 1 inch as I want to keep the COG low on this vehicle so may need to do some hood work still but will see.

When i dig into the fluids change and clutch work will get some pics of that progress and get it up here
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Well got most of what I needed at the parts store with exception of the rear wiper which looks like I will have to hit Napa for and the GL-4/GL-5 oil.

Anyone on the Seattle area know of a local source to get Redline MT90 75w90 (GL-4) and 75w90 GL-5 from in qt/gallon size? I am not having much luck finding it (O'reillys sells per case which is more than I want to spend right now).

I was also going to pick up plug washers (fill/drain) as recommended in a post I read but wonder if better to grab replacements (magnetic low profile). What ya think?

Last is a lift which I am debating getting from Harbor locally, unless someone has a good recommendation on that? Need it for the body lift primarily.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 AM

I forgot to mention that I ordered the lift kit from 4Crawler as well as the diff breathers from Addicted
Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM

Got my diff breathers from Addicted yesterday, woot! Got confirmation of shipping for the lift kit from 4Crawler as well so should have that soon.

Probable wont do too much this weekend save perhaps for cleaning out the remaining stored camping gear from the truck and finish re-painting the wiper arms and getting them back on the truck.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:24 PM

Hi Webbuff just wanted to say that you got a nice lookin 4runner on your hands and its only gonna keep getting better, especially with this swap youre planning. Seems to be moving along pretty well too haha.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Why thank you dswag

Yeah its starting to get rolling, cant wait till its driveable. Wife already said that once it is we are going camping hehe.

Have some interior cleaning/work and a new radio (antennae too since its broken) and add a CB .

Next items on the slate after the initial lift to fit 33s will likely be sliders, then bumpers, then on to dirvetrain upgrades (dual xfer/lockers).

Speed of those additions will all depend on what the wife will let me get away with hehe
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Got the body lift in the mail yesterday

If I can manage some blocks or a lift will likely get this done this weekend.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Meant to update this sooner hehe.

Well didn't quite have all the needed cash to put down on the engine, but am close. Well I could have done it but didn't feel like eating a full ramen diet for 2 weeks so decided to wait till next payday.

I started on the body lift but hit a roadblock with the borrowed lift being to darn short and not having enough wood to put under it. Gonna re-attack it with the bottle jack this weekend as I will be able to single stack the wood for better height. Will get pics up on it once I have that done.

I did get the fluids for the diffs/tranny/xfer case ordered as well as new drain plugs and a new antennae (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-257618/) since mine is toast. Should be getting those all in late this and early next week.

I took the radiator to a shop and they gave it a good effort but the hole where the neck suaters too kept opening up. He said the metal is just too old to fix so a replacement is being sourced now. Don't want the plastic tank ones so digging for a full metal replacement.

All in all its progressing, my biggest concern is to ensure its reliably drive-able for now then can work on further upgrades as I go. I think interior will be next, the back carpet is deteriated and oily underneath so it must go hehe. The whole interior needs a good cleaning so want to knock that out so its nice when it becomes the sole daily driver

Last edited by Webbuff; 08-22-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a lot of stuff planned. Good luck. Try letting all the air out of your tires to bring the body closer to the ground. Should give your jack a better chance.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Toyo, good call.. I should of thought of that haha.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Webbuff
Toyo, good call.. I should of thought of that haha.

im pretty tall for an Asian. im 5'11 so i have no problems working under the hood of most trucks at work. i see the other techs taking the wheels off or letting all the air out of the front to gain better access. it came to me when i read you having issues with the jack. i have the same problem at home with my low profile jack back when i was into imports. but i have tons of wood to bring my jack up like what you do
Old 08-25-2012, 04:13 PM

The body lift is in!

I am not a young man anymore so I appreciated the help from the wife today as it kept me from having to get up and down while getting it installed

Nothing like a good woman who supports your projects!

Luckily I found some extra 4x4s which gave me plenty of height to use the bottle jack as seen below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83338601@N04/7860396316/

Here is the before:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83338601@N04/7860397100/

Here is the after:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83338601@N04/7860397676/
Next step is to change out all the fluids in the diffs/trans/xfer case which I will likely hit next weekend.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:09 PM

I was a bit under the weather last weekend so didn't get anything done, so felt compelled to get something knocked out this one.

After realizing I did not have a big enough socket (24mm) for the fill plug I had to run a couple times (grabbed wrong size the first time) to the parts store hehe.

With socket in hand I attacked the rear differential. I removed the fill then the drain plug fairly easily (used torque wrench for extra leverage). Drained out the old oil which didn't look too bad but definitely not as clear as the new stuff going in.

By the way, GL-5 smells terrible! I havent smelled the GL-4 for the xfer case yet, but expect it to be the same. I used Red Line which I read was recommended and filled the rear diff with 2.3 qts (till it spilled out a little).

I replaced the drain plug with the magnetic one I picked up from Addicted Off Road.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83338601@N04/7959075586/

I reused the stock one for the fill hole as it was in good shape and the washer looked fine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83338601@N04/7959076956/

Then I installed the new diff breather I also obtained from Addicted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83338601@N04/7959073754/

This was all I could manage for today. The bottle pump I picked up worked fine but as the bottle opening was a bit smaller than the bottle pump screw and it didn't seal completely. It took a bit longer to get all the oil in which tired out my arm.

Next weekend I will hit the front diff and hopefully the trans/xfer case

Last edited by Webbuff; 09-10-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:19 PM

nice body lift. i know its not much but you should look into now raising the gas tank and exhaust system.

Quick Reply: 88 4Runner (3.0 V6) Day 1