Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

88 4Runner 1kd-ftv swap (NEW) w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Correct. Since they are a repower in most application the hole unit is self contained and the only external feed is to the supplied dash control(idiot lights and gauges. So in theory I could put a marine engine in and run the marine ecu. Tach signal, water and voltage are all part of the dash unit on these engines. I am sure that there are applications that have other sensors apropriete to the vessel, but it is made to be self contained.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Dang, that's a sweet looking engine. What are these Marine motors put into? DIOdn't even know they were made.

Oh and "Waste gated turbo, non variable vain. So ECU doesn't monitor turbo(not sure if this is good or bad)" , it still might, is this a MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) type engine or is it still AFM/MAF?
I'm sure the engine still reads boost. Most all electronic diesels now have a MAF and MAP sensor. The ones that are still using a wastegated turbo often use the MAP reading to tell the wastage when to open and close. More and more the trend is to run a Vgt turbo in place of the fixed geometry.

RBX - This swap is really interesting. Just a thought on the Marine engine. I am not sure if it is the case on the Toyota but many of the other Marine specific diesels are programmed so that they make power at a constant set rpm and are designed to run that rpm for hours on end. This could possibly cause some drivability issues unless you can reflash it. I talked to a guy here locally that had a c7 Cat Marine engine in a dump truck and he had one heck of a time getting it right. Also check and be sure the engine rotates the same way as the stock one. Most marine engines can be set up to run either direction. Looking great though and I look forward to seeing it run!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:10 AM

suscribed!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 AM
RBX

^^^ on second thought there must be a boost sensor how would the computer know how much boost it's making.

The information I have been writing here is purely base on my notes and conversation I had with the engineer that has been so kind to me. I may have misunderstood somethings. I appreciate all the comments and information.

Rotational changes in the engine now happen in the transmission, so I'm told. It is very costly to build an opposite rotation engine, it's cheaper to make a transmission.

The ecu can be flashed to accommodate differing conditions. These engines are primarily found in pleasure cruisers of 30'. The engineer told me they are under constant load unlike a street application. However, he said that isn't really a concern sine he can alter the ecu. I don't want it to be a tractor engine to say the least. The flywheel is quite thick, but I'll compare it to the auto version.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:25 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Order an engine already

I am sure you contacted Spectre off road but wonder if they have a half cut for you...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 AM
RBX

I'd love to order a half cut already. I haven't contacted SOR
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM
RBX

SOR doesn't deal with late model diesels according to their response email.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-1KD-F...item2a1badd929

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-1KD-F...item3f15b9c87f
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Hey RB, ...if you want me to delete this(for the purpose of keeping your thread super "Toyota Diesel" exclusive... lemme know, I'll gladly do so ).... Just curious what you think about the Cummins CUT motors... My buddy is asking, and I hear nothing but "the Cummins and Isuzu Diesel motors are some of the best in the world".... and he's got access to Cummins stuff, cheap.... Says, "I don't need a 5.9.... Just want the 3.9 or 4.2 and I can build it up from there if needed".....

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/4bt.html

I had an Isuzu in a box truck I drove around for a bit.... THE THING WAS INCREDIBLY powerful.... But I'm not sure which would be stronger/better built.... or if they even offer smaller stuff.

Sorry for the tangent, just curious what you thought/have read.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-04-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 PM
RBX

Thanks mark. I'll check with that company about other parts for the block. I really don't want to piece it together.
I'm not crazy about the cummins. Ill have to make adapters and how is fuel economy? If I go cummins I'll have to piece it together. And they are heavy!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Just another thought: If you used an aftermarket ecu, you could program it the way you wanted to instead of trying to swap out a whole wiring loom. I know a guy who put a wrx engine into a 21 window vw van who went that route. Something to think about.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:35 PM
RBX

^^^ exactly
Old 04-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
Thanks mark. I'll check with that company about other parts for the block. I really don't want to piece it together.
I'm not crazy about the cummins. Ill have to make adapters and how is fuel economy? If I go cummins I'll have to piece it together. And they are heavy!
Oh, I wasn't suggesting it for you, RB(I know, you're probably just thinking out loud at this point seeing that you're having a lil more trouble than you'd thought you'd have finding that Toyota-D).... I was honestly just asking wut you'd read. My neighbor has a Ford Diesel and he's not happy.... He had an Isuzu in another ford..... IT WAS INDESTRUCTIBLE and ALMOST trouble free for 280K. He also had a cummins with less issues in a dodge work truck he had.... It also was less trouble.

I think it's a pretty general consensus with mechanics I've spoken with about pretty much anything Toyota Builds(Motor wise)..... "They're just by far some of the most precise/easy to work on/longevity driven products we come across..... which is rarely!".... They're all excited about the Tundra Diesel and they're telling ME, anyway, ..."IT IS coming soon"... My machinist thinks you're nuts, lol.... But he DOES like it as a choice of diesels.... And, he REALLY doesn't like the Mercedes Turbo Diesel Swap(he says he works on them quite a bit, parts are too costly.. And even though they're known to last a while, ... the cost factor when doing OEM replacement parts.... "IT'S JUST STUPID", in his words, lol. He LOVES that motor you're looking at... But he said that he's seen guys have issues with parts finding, etc., when they've done it. He even HAS a Toyota-D in the boat he stores on his lot.... but it's an older one with less high tech features.... But, he said, "In a car, done right and with the right mods, I could get 30MPG easy with it".... He also said that if you end up needing parts..... "They will NOT be cheap.... In fact, I don't see this getting done for less than 4G's.... But that's ONLY cuz I'm impatient and not wanting to wait more than a week for what I want! lol".... Dude is hilarious, trust me!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
RBX

Thanks mark. I'm working on getting information from foreign part suppliers for used parts or new aftermarket. The boat dealer with the marinized engine can get me OEM parts.

Also, mechanics have great things to say about the Isuzu engine found in the NPR trucks, 4bd-1, and great things to say bout cummins. You won't get much info about the yoga diesels because they are simply scarce as you know.

Last edited by RBX; 04-04-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBX
Thanks mark. I'm working on getting information from foreign part suppliers for used parts or new aftermarket. The boat dealer with the marinized engine can get me OEM parts.

Also, mechanics have great things to say about the Isuzu engine found in the NPR trucks, 4bd-1, and great things to say bout cummins. You won't get much info about the yoga diesels because they are simply scarce as you know.
Yoga diesel?... ooooommmmm maneh patmeh...ommmmm rumble rumble....

hAHA hate having big fingers and small keys when typing fast...

1kd ftv parts should be all the same... marinized engine parts might be built even tougher to handle possible salt water cooling issues...

bad news that shop near me does not import diesel eng. but they gave me
a lead on a shop in Montreal... I'll post more info when I hear back... it was one of two they were'nt sure which...

chef great link on that shop manual...
Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
RBX

Haha yoga!
Thanks aviator.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 AM
RBX

http://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/la...00/?color&trim
Link with part numbers for 1kd-ftv, seems to have no pics
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

If you want to check prices for parts for these engines drop me an email and I'll request some for you.
Stuff like fuel filters, oil filters etc. is cheap to get here plus we can get good quality aftermarket stuff here.
If you need parts like a head, head gasket, starter, ECU etc. hold on to your wallet. These are amazingly expensive.
If you need something like i.e. a new injection pump I guess your better off buying a second used motor.

I know you all think these engines are near indestructibel, and indeed they are very good, but sometimes they do fail. I've been asked often if I have a spare head or bottem end......or turbo...
Thats also the main reason why it is hard to find a used motor over here.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
RBX

^^^ very cool, thanks!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:48 PM
RBX

Pm sent

Quick Reply: 88 4Runner 1kd-ftv swap (NEW) w/pics