86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87runner Shock up grade and bj spacer install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87runner Shock up grade and bj spacer install

Well I broke a shock somehow I'm assuming it's because of the zuk mod with stock length shocks so I'm going to redo them all and install some ball joint spacers

So I'm not sure what shocks are on there right now. And I was looking at pro comps es3000 then read some more thought the es9000 were the way to go then maybe I should just save the money and do blisteins so I'm kinda stumped are the pro comps a waste of money. I dd this truck but hit the hills and trails about every weekend. If I do the blisteins I need more of a lift I think. And I don't have 400 bucks for a ome set

Completely disconnected! There 2004 tj springs on he bump stops
Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd first figure out why you snapped that shock. Wouldn't make sense to me, to put new shocks on an application where the previous one broke. Did it get over extended or over compressed?
Old 08-11-2015, 10:37 AM

if they are monroes. its a problem they have been having lately. mine did it up front.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:16 PM

Almost positive it's because of being over extended those tj springs are super stiff I can't even really tell that my back one is out hah
So I'm Installing 2 inch spacers up front and I've got about 2.5 " of lift in the rear I thought I'd get the 4" lift shocks and if the rear needs more I can get some extended shackles that is the pro Comp es9000
I'm running 33x10.50 I do weigh this thing down with a family and full camping gear
Are the blisteins worth the money or should I just save for the ome set? If did get a ome set which ones all I find on the site is other applications or other vehicles
Old 08-11-2015, 08:39 PM

Almost positive it's because of being over extended those tj springs are super stiff I can't even really tell that my back one is out hah
So I'm Installing 2 inch spacers up front and I've got about 2.5 " of lift in the rear I thought I'd get the 4" lift shocks and if the rear needs more I can get some extended shackles that is the pro Comp es9000
I'm running 33x10.50 I do weigh this thing down with a family and full camping gear
Are the blisteins worth the money or should I just save for the ome set? If did get a ome set which ones all I find on the site is other applications or other vehicles
Old 08-12-2015, 08:58 AM

People say that shocks can handle being over extended - it's pretty common on most vehicles and is what limits down-travel. What they don't like is over compression, where the piston inside bottoms out on the internals.

I have OME shocks on my truck and I got them because it's what ARB recommended to pair with the OME leaf springs - of course! I can't comment on Bilsteins because I haven't used them personally on anything. I have used Pro Comps in the past on a k5 blazer and thought they were crap, but I didn't put them on and don't know how much use the PO had, others seem happy enough with them. Whichever you choose, new shocks are going to be better regardless of brand.

When I put on my OMEs, they were limiting down travel, so I triangulated my shocks with ubolt flip kit. Now the rear is happy. Can't exactly compare to me, since I have a 93 pickup. I'd suggest you look through some 4runner builds and see what shock setups others have.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:26 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I think you have to be careful with saying that shocks can handle over extension. While it's true that a lot of solid axle (front or rear) suspensions (the Toyota 4runner rear axle included) use the shock to limit down travel, this isn't really a normal every day occurrence. Usually the only time the shock limits down travel for a highway vehicle is when the vehicle is raised on a lift or jack, and that's a pretty gentle experience.

When the limiting happens rapidly, suddenly, and frequently on the trail, I suspect that may fall outside of the expected use model for many shocks, and I wouldn't necessarily expect a shock to tolerate that long term unless it was specifically designed for it.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:28 AM

So if the rear is lifted and let's put it in to scenario so it's compressed all the way who know how old the shocks are and then sudden drop to far on that one side and it snaps? Or what else? I mean im pretty gentle on the rig but some times that doesn't work. The shock is completely loose I can compress it and move the tube in and out no force needed.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Ok so I saved up some more $$ and I think that I'm going to get the bud built rear shock mounts and triangulate these guys. So here is the question what shocks I guess I should measure from where the shock mounts will be ? I want to install my ball joint spacers as well in the same day along with new shocks all around. Was thinking about saving for blisteins but is there anything else brand wise? Kyb monroe rancho. Something cost effective
Old 08-18-2015, 08:59 AM

are you talking about the bud built bolt-on shock mounts? i asked about those before and everyone says they're not great. i'm sure they'll work, but just make sure you inspect them regularly. i went with a traditional ubolt flip kit from TG, which you have to weld new mounts on. my shocks are stock length OMEs and are pretty spot on for travel. a lot of it has to do with the angle and position of the shock mounts, so best thing is to measure from where you plan to mount.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:35 PM

Ok picked up another cheap Monroe for the time being and talked to my buddy who I got my bumper from. He told me to get a shock mount kit from low range and a u bolt flip kit and then we will find out how long we need I think I'm getting some bilstien 5100s good deal set of 4 for 279$