Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 Turbo EFI will not stay running! HELP

Old 06-28-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Turbo EFI will not stay running! HELP

Ok guys here's what I have. 87 turbo SR5 pickup.
New parts:
Toyota long block
fuel pump and fuel filter
AFM
turbo and manifold
new complete Fuel injector harness
new coil
new radiator
vacum lines
battery

Now the problem starts here that I've been chasing for weeks and weeks of research. The motor starts when cold and runs. Idle is near perfect. Once you try to rev the truck the motor cuts out and stumbles. You can hold the gas to the floor and it will clear out and run fine for a few revs then cuts out again. Once the truck gets up to temp the motor starts to stumble and eventually dies unless kept running through the gas petal(petaling the gas from wide open throttle and idle). Coil was replaced with a new one and has the same problems. Good compression on all four cylinders. Good spark. Fuel pressure is with in spec.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What do the plugs look like??

Are you testing the fuel pressure with the engine running or just static by jumping the fuel pump test contacts .

Have you done the simple just did not list it??

I am not sure just what comes with a long block different from one place to another

You mean brand new fresh rebuilt or brand new old stock from Toyota??

Major Tune up I would think with a new block.

Did you replace or service the fuel injectors?

So giving it more air keeps it running .

How much gas are you getting in the oil if you have been trying to start this for weeks?

Fuel injectors stuck open??
Old 06-28-2014, 01:51 PM

What do the plugs look like?? plugs look normal, slight brown tint to the ends. not to white or black on all four.

Are you testing the fuel pressure with the engine running or just static by jumping the fuel pump test contacts. tested while the motor was running and going to test again here in about an hour. was running close to 38 pounds and then 97 with return line cut off

Have you done the simple just did not list it?? new plugs, wires, rotor button and cap, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, all new hoses and pcv(thought there was a leak in the EVAP lines somewhere)

I am not sure just what comes with a long block different from one place to another. from the bottom crank to the top of the head minus the rocker assembly. 6K in reciepts. motor came in two pieces and was put together by toyota.
You mean brand new fresh rebuilt or brand new old stock from Toyota?? Brand new old stock from toyota

Major Tune up I would think with a new block. Already done and answered previously

Did you replace or service the fuel injectors? injectors were cleaned and new o-rings and gaskets

So giving it more air keeps it running. Seams to be the problem is air. not enough or too much. I'm thinking bad AFM as well as the ECM being a possibility

How much gas are you getting in the oil if you have been trying to start this for weeks? no gas in oil. smells good and is still thick. Truck runs and idles when in cold start mode till temp switch cuts on then it pretty much dies unless you petal the gas petal from wide open throttle and 3/4 throttle and back to idle.

Fuel injectors stuck open?? I'm not doubting that as a possibility there are bassically the only thing left from the previous motor. They are firing and clicking as normal 22re should. Friend works for Toyota and has a dory light or what ever its called. I'm at a loss here.

Thanks by the way, any help is much appreciated!
Old 06-28-2014, 01:54 PM

I'm going to run the truck again in a bit and run it till it dies again and pull the plugs immediately after it dies and trying to start it again. That should give us a better idea of what is going on. If they are wet/dry will tell us a lot. I'll keep you updated as soon as I get done with this test. Trying to make sure the truck is good and cold before I try to start the truck again. Don't like trying to start the truck knowing it won't crank(for good reason, gas in the oil etc.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:29 PM

Red face

Just a thought is the cold start injector stuck open and just keeps dumping fuel in the engine then you need the extra air to try and compensate for the over fueling condition .

Nothing really dumb it happened to me and drove me about nuts mouse nest in the intake

Good luck
Old 06-28-2014, 07:00 PM

Good thought, I'll leave it unplugged on the next run. That could be. Man thanks wyoming. I'll let you know
Old 06-29-2014, 01:19 AM

Red face

The thing is if the injector is stuck disconnecting the electric will not do anything

If the time switch or the temp sensor are in the closed position then unplugging would work.

You are getting closer
Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 PM

Exclamation

Sorry took so long to get back to this, did a couple of test runs to get as much info as possible. Cold start injector is not the problem cleared that today. So I've had enough to run two test runs from yesterday and today. So here we go.

Yesterdays(saturday) run:

Pre-turning the key, Checked all hoses again for tightness. Hooked up the Fuel pressure gauge. Cranked the truck. Truck cranked on first turn over and revved up to 2K RPM and idled there for approximately 30 secs. Motor then slowly came down to close to 1k RPM and stayed there long enough for me to get under the hood and control the throttle at the throttle body. Motor wanted to idle really low and almost die without gas. Had to slightly give gas to the motor to keep from stalling. Once the motor warmed up after a few minutes the truck would idle without giving any gas for a few minutes prior to wanting to die again. When the truck would try to die again I gave it gas in order to try to keep it running. I would only come back and run at wide open throttle as it would cut out and eventually would clear out and rev up like normal. Letting off the gas would bring the motor back to idle and you be basically repeating the steps to keep it running. The Fuel pressure stayed at 38PSI give or take a pound. Once the truck died of repeated on off of the throttle it would not start back. End of Saturdays test run.

Today's(Sunday) run:

Prior to start, changed the AFM to the original. Check to gas tank to make sure there was plenty of gas as to I was unsure of the fuel gauge being correct. Added another 5 gallons just to be sure. Started the truck and it started again on the first turn over revving to just above 2k and then slowly coming back down to where it would want to die. Had to slightly give it gas again to keep it running then it would start to miss. Motor would only run at idle with absolutely no throttle given. As soon as the throttle is applied the truck cuts out and tries to die unless given wide open throttle. Same as the day before until it eventually dies and will not start back. Immediately pulled the plugs to see what was going on. The plugs where pitch black this time. WAY TO RICH! None of the plugs where wet but did smell of fresh gas. Seems I'm losing air somewhere or the computer is dumping way to much gas. This would make since to why the truck does not want to rev(not enough air given) and why only wide open throttle would get a response(more air).

My next run will consist of a bottle of brake cleaner to spray around the hoses to get a response and see where I'm losing my air. All gaskets are new, but I'm losing it somewhere. All of the signs point in that direction to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

What else should I test on the next run? I'm all ears here!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 PM

Just to be sure, I cleaned the plugs thoroughly before replacing them back in the truck if that means anything to anyone. They were brand new plugs as of 5-6 weeks ago.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:17 AM

Red face

It just might have been your haste in typing.

Remember the throttle body movement only gives you more air it does not effect the amount of fuel going into the engine.

You do have the correct ecu for the engine ??

Fueling the engine is controlled I am sure you know by the ecu changing the pulse length of the injectors

Since all is new out of the box but the injectors I would think long and hard about them You did say cleaned as in taken apart flow tested ??

Running the correct heat range plug for this engine

Remember your drawing air through the whole intake system turbo wheel spins free all that good stuff.

Clean new air filter.

Bottom line it seems like the plugs are fouling out engine dies no matter what.

Can be wrong plugs To much fuel not enough air ignition problems

You just need to try and eliminate one thing at a time

At times these can be a real pain till all the bugs are worked out
Old 06-30-2014, 01:37 AM

Yes, injectors were cleaned and such. They were not flow matched as I do not have the tools required to do such nor have I sent them off to be. The ECU is correct(turbo ECU) and original to the truck. The air filter is new, yes. I'll double check the plugs this afternoon as I believe they are the right plugs. I agree on the not enough air as to make the truck run rich. I understand the computer is controlling the injectors and I don't believe the injectors are the problem. I was wondering about the turbo as well but the engine will still run and rev regardless of the turbo spinning or not(should just be sluggish without the turbo spooling). I understand the injectors for a turbo truck dump more fuel due to more air pushed by the turbo. But to answer the question about the turbo, yes it does spool up and spin freely by hand. Its going to kill me once I figure this out, I'm sure it is something simple starring me in the face. I really appreciate the help Wyoming. This truck is making my head spin. I think if I had a fresh set of eyes to look at it and not knowing what I have already done could fix it in no time. Probably just going to buy a new set of plugs tomorrow afternoon as well to see where that gets me.

Last edited by NIGHTMARE; 06-30-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:07 PM

Red face

Are you running Toyota spark plug wires ??For some reason these engines can be real touchy about wires .

You are quite right about another set of eyes I do that all the time to others at work.

Your just a tad to far to stop over.

Hang in there you will get it.

Have you tried the Toyota Turbo Forum??
Old 07-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Red face

Any luck with getting this figured out??
Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check engine Vacuum.

Verify no exhaust system restrictions.

Check temperature sensors/control.

Cold Start Injector Time Switch..?

Coolant Temperature Sensor..?

Verify that their electrical connectors and not swapped.

Mentioned that you replaced the fuel injection wiring harness..?
-Installed correctly..?
-Injector pulse at harness..?
-Faulty fuel injectors...?
-Engine wiring harness grounds/wiring damage..?