Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 runner 11 years not fired...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 87 runner 11 years not fired...

Hey guys! Im new to this place had to join after constantly coming back... lol... Any ways here it is... I got an 87 Runner that was parked in 99 brought it to my hose did the usual fluid changes and tune up and what not.. I know i messed up by being lazy and didnt drop the tank i pumped what i could out and left the rest of the bad gas in there and added new gas to it and blew out the lines that i could. finally got it fired after replacing the fuel pump... It ran like a top for 3 days smooth as can be... then it started missing so me being used to older cars i started pulling plug wires and listening for changes turns out number 3 was dead so i though it was a clogged injector replaced that still nothing now it has no compression in #3 does not smoke or anything... the oil smells like gas and the plug comes out wet every time i pull it... its not the head gasket haven't had to add coolant yet... what could it be? burnt valve? im guessing it has to do with the bad gas being ran through it but i dont know... And i did a hot lash to make sure it wasn't valve adjustment. No rod knock either no metal in the oil. Thanks guys, Chubbs!
Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can`t help with the engine problem, but there is a drain plug on the bottom of the gas tank so you can drain it. Did you replace the fuel filter ?, if not it would be a real good idea.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Lol shows how much i know about yotas!! ill get there haha and yes i did do the filter. could not even blow through it it was bad. and thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Makes me wonder if the exhaust valve or even the intake valve is stuck open at a point it would not knock. As there is no compression and you are getting fuel. just a guestimate. Good Luck though.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good or bad gas isn't why you have gas in the oil pan. As you stated #3 spark plug isn't firing, so that cylinder is getting washed with gas and ultimately pulling the gas down past the rings into the oil pan. Afterall an engine is a glorified vacuum/air pump. Try the obvious first, why isn't #3 firing? Do you have a dead plug, do you have a bad plug wire, is your distributor cap corroded or cracked on #3? Wait until after dark and start it to see if anything on #3 might be shorting to ground.

Ultimately with that engine sitting for 11 years, you'd be incredibly lucky if the rings didn't stick, but you said it ran like a top for 3 days. Once you figure out your firing problem, if it was my engine, just for peace of mind and to have an idea of what the bottom end was like, I'd be performing a complete compression test. First a dry test and then a wet test. I could tell you how to do it, but a quick google search will give you lots of videos an how to do this.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Were are you located in california ?, I used to live in the bay area.

Do you have any pictures of your 4Runner ?.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Number 3 is firing 1 2 and 4 have great compression 3 on the other hand none... it has 150k on it.. the owner would go out and spin it over like once a month. He parked it because it looked like crap. Ill get more pics soon.. I live in riverside.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 22re is an interference engine, which means a valve stuck open would hit the piston and you would definitely hear it, so if you know that #3 has no compression there is only two other possibilities. Either you have a cracked piston that is allowing blowby or your rings are shot allowing blowby. I would bet on the rings!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Did the old rag by the exhaust trick and it indeed does pull the rag in... bastards
Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bet a corroded valve guide stuck a valve open.i have seen this a lot on junkyard engines.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:35 AM

what is the rag by the exhaust trick it sounds like a new trick to learn and i am always willing to learn.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
^^^^ I have seen it used before, but it was with a piece of notebook paper. With the paper at the end of the exhaust pipe, when it gets to the cylinder that is not operating properly, it will actually suck the paper to the exhaust pipe for a split second. I suppose a rag would give similar results.

Another thing that the note book paper will give you, is if it is spiiting out some fluid such as gas, water, or oil. This is before catalytic conveters were used so it is a test that is getting forgotten about. I have not seen this done on a fuel injected motor and it was only on carbed motors from when I have seen it done.

As I understand it, on a carbed motor, with a valve stuck open, instead of the fuel mixture going out the exhaust, it goes out the intake system, thus causing a suction on the tail pipe. With a fuel injected system, I dont know if it can let happen quite as much, but it could give similar results with a stuck valve, I just have never tried it.

For the rag trick, I have put a little diesel fuel or ATF fluid (teaspoon or so) in the intake system and plugged the tail pipe with a rag to look for exhaust leaks. The smoke will come out the leaks. You dont have much time to do that test before it will lug the motor down or stall it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-07-2014 at 06:48 AM.