Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 pickup, starter not disengaging

Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 pickup, starter not disengaging

I searched the threads and didn't find an answer to my problem.

I have a 1987 toyo pickup 22R. After driving the vehicle for 11 months, my starter began grinding. Didn't know that was the source of the noise at the time. Had no choice but to continue driving it at the time. Starter finally stopped functioning and after removing it, I saw that the teeth were completely worn off. Completely replaced the starter, and the new one does the same thing. After starting the engine it begins to grind. The kicker is, that once the truck warms up, the starter will finally disengage. I have verified this over and over. Not knowing what temperature has to do with my issue, I replaced the ignition switch hoping that would solve the problem. No go. I know after researching, and reading up on this for hours, that it should only be either the starter, the ignition switch, or a short in the wiring. I have verified it isn't any of them. Could my relay be sticking, but when it warms up it will finally open? Seems strange but I just can't figure out why temperature has anything to do with it. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's some very useful information regarding the starter Toyota uses for our vehicles.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/elec04.pdf

If you haven't come accross this, take some time to read it. It's very good stuff as it tell us the principles of how the stater system works.

Other than that, in the past 25 years of owning my truck I have never had this issue occur to me so I can not give any personal recomendations. You'll have to wait until others chime in.

Last edited by slow-mo; 10-12-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 AM

Thank you for the link. I will check it out, and hopefully someone else with my issue may have found a solution. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 AM

I am thinking about putting an interrupter switch as suggested on other threads, but not for exactly the problem I am having.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Well, I have now ruled out the relay I hope. I started the truck and then immediately unplugged the relay. The starter stayed engaged. I don't know how this is possible with the relay disconnected, as according to the schematic this should cut power to the solenoid. I really need help with this one!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 AM

Boy, that is odd.

That relay is what energizes the solenoid in the starter to transfer the large 12V power directly from the battery.

If anything I would say the solenoid plunger is not disengaging. Its gear is always meshed with the flywheel. Since you have removed the source power to energize the starter, the only other thing is a faulty starter, the solenoid plunger portion. Or that the starter itself is not aligned correctly. Therefore, the plunger is physically not able to retract.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM

I suppose I could have gotten a faulty starter from AZ. Not unheard of from that place. I just ruled it out as that was what the original starter was doing so I assumed the replacement doing the same thing, must leave the problem elsewhere. I will post how it goes and thanks slow-mo for you suggestions!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:01 AM

I was thinking, because of the prolonged condition of your last starter, that may have buggered up the teeth in the flywheel which is now causing the new starter's teeth to not disengage.

I would say pull the starter and look at it's teeth and then look at the teeth of the flywheel. You would have to rotate the engine to check the whole flywheel's teeth. Sparkplugs removed so it's easier to rotate the crankshaft.

Last edited by slow-mo; 10-18-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So a buddy of mine is having the same thing happen...ever figure it out?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Unfortunately I never did figure it out. I found a "sweet spot" on my ignition that will cause the battery to cut off, thus causing the starter to disengage, the truck will stay running, and once it warms up, I turn the key back to run and my starter will behave. I even contacted a toyota service technician and he was baffled, that leaves little to no hope for me...unless someone out there has figured this out and can chime in here
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Mechanical not Electrical Issue

Originally Posted by slow-mo
Boy, that is odd.

That relay is what energizes the solenoid in the starter to transfer the large 12V power directly from the battery.

If anything I would say the solenoid plunger is not disengaging. Its gear is always meshed with the flywheel. Since you have removed the source power to energize the starter, the only other thing is a faulty starter, the solenoid plunger portion. Or that the starter itself is not aligned correctly. Therefore, the plunger is physically not able to retract.
Originally Posted by slow-mo
I was thinking, because of the prolonged condition of your last starter, that may have buggered up the teeth in the flywheel which is now causing the new starter's teeth to not disengage.

I would say pull the starter and look at it's teeth and then look at the teeth of the flywheel. You would have to rotate the engine to check the whole flywheel's teeth. Sparkplugs removed so it's easier to rotate the crankshaft.
Re: OP's issue, I agree with Slo-mo.
This is not an electrical problem.
Solenoid plunger mechanically stuck in engaged position, or misalignment or buggered flywheel gear that somehow catches starter gear and does not allow it to retract.