Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 Pickup Rear Axle Assembly Removal as Whole Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Pickup Rear Axle Assembly Removal as Whole Unit

Hello fellow Toyota enthusiasts...

I've got an 87 Toyota 22r 4x4 pickup and I'm currently replacing the front rotors, calipers, bearings, seals, gaskets and brake lines. I was also going to replace the rear brake lines to the proportioning valve. I knew going in that the drum brake backing plate was very rusty along with the lines and fittings.

My question is: can I remove the entire rear axle assembly with the drums attached so that I can easily remove the rusty fittings / bleeder plugs and then clean off the rust and paint. I've searched yotatech and the web for an answer to this question and all of the hits were related to rear bearing and seal replacement and did not specifically address my question. I'd rather not replace the bearings and seals at this time (funds were spent on the front end) and just clean up the rust, reinstall the axle shaft and replace the bleeder and the brake lines with new brass fittings.

Can the assembly be removed or am I completely missing something that is lurking behind the drum to successfully remove the rear axle shaft?

I appreciate everyone's time in advance.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well you can remove it but it takes some work.

I have never been able to get U Bolts off So you need them .

E-Brake cables off the rear end housing

Brake lines
LSPV Hardware

Drive Shaft making sure to mark the drive shaft.

No doubt forgot something
Old 11-17-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if I was not clear - I was considering leaving the differential carrier in place along with the leaf springs an shocks. I was trying to determine if I could pull the brake drum / hub and axle shaft out in one piece by removing the 4 bolts behind the drum dust shield (as if I was going to replace the bearings).

Like the picture attached but with the drum still attached and the parking brake and brake lines disconnected. From the thread I got this pic from the person mentioned gear oil with the differential carrier. I guess I should read up on that as well.
Attached Thumbnails 87 Pickup Rear Axle Assembly Removal as Whole Unit-axle-assembly.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, take brake lines off, 4 bolts the backing plate and away you go, you can leave your tires on if you want to. Put some rubber tips on your brake lines so they don't leak all your fluid out.