Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 pickup loss of power and dies

Old 03-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 pickup loss of power and dies

My 87 yota pickup 22R carbureted has been hell since I bought it..it first started by stalling out when I slowed down to a stop and most of the time I had to keep giving it gas to stay running after I stopped... It then started having power loss problems on like the slightest hills while driving..
A mechanic replaced fuel filter and fixed two vacuum leaks on carb.. The carburetor is a weber..he had send the carb off to have it machined down on one side...
The truck ran Great for about two weeks.. Then it started just dying on me while I was driving down the road!I would come to a stop and I could start it back up and it would idle mostly by itself.. Once I tried to (manually) go in a gear it would bog down and die..I could rev the engine up with the clutch in also..
After messing with it for a little on side of road. It started running fine again like nothing was ever wrong..
Well things got worse and its back in shop.. Mechanics are telling me to buy an original carb and put it on there. I hate to do something like that it could a few simple other options.
Like fuel cut solenoid? Air flow sensor? Or crap in gas or trash in carb big time..? Let me know what some of you all are thinking please. I love this truck and just want it normal..
Old 03-10-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would start over and recheck everything. Timing, vaccum lines, filters, plugs, etc...etc. To me it sounds like a vacuum problem or a fuel flow problem with the information given.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my my ever is an older Carb and someone has had to mess with it a lot.. The more I mess with the truck, the more I see the right and wrong things with it..
I checked for vacuum leaks and found none at all. I do have an exhaust manifold leak.
So I check the already replaced fuel filter and it looks good and clean.. I blew out the fuel lines with an air compressor and replaced the fuel line from fuel pump to Carb.. bought a new fuel pump too.. Installed a fuel pressure gauge in the short,1/4" line, but it does not keep at a steady fuel pressure. The needle in gauge moves all over the place.. Ranging from 3 to 10 psi.
I'm thinking about getting a fuel regulator to maybe help the situation.

Also my butterfly flap doesn't seem to work properly after it has warmed up. It wasn't really moving at all when I would hit the throttle. I messed with it at little and it started working for a little but then quit again.
Well took off the electric choke assembly and checked it out and had to replace one of those springs because it jumped off, but now I tried and put it back on I can't get it back together! Well theres a plastic nipple coming off this rod to the butterfly flap, and I can't get to stay on the lever mechanism of the choke! I think someone had messed with it before because the nipple is worn done and there was no keeper on the back side of it before I took the choke assembly off. So I tried and unscrew the butterfly and one of the dam screws broke in half! Just my luck!

Please help.. What do y'all suggest? Should I buy a new Carb?

Another thing is this Weber only suppose to have one butterfly flap thing?? Bcuz that's all mine has is one!