86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 IFS BJ Spacer lift - rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 IFS BJ Spacer lift - rough ride

Hey guys, I have an 87 XtraCab 4x4 that I've installed a 1.75 inch BJ spacer and differential drop kit on and the truck just rides really rough up front.

When I did the BJ spacer lift, I removed the sway bar since one bolt had snapped in the frame and the links were completely rotted. I installed brand new Rancho Shocks all around as well as a Zuk mod in the rear. The rear felt a lot better after the mod. But my concern is the front. I feel as if it should have some what of a softer rebound. When I hit bumps it just feels as if the front isn't moving at all sometimes. As far as I know, the torsion bars were untouched. The height didn't seem to be higher than stock and after Installed the parts I didn't feel the front needed to be adjusted.

Do these trucks ride somewhat rough with these parts up front? Or am I completely overlooking something?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Relax the torsion bars
Old 05-02-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
The height didn't seem to be higher than stock and after Installed the parts I didn't feel the front needed to be adjusted.
I'm not seeing how this is possible. If you stick a 1.75" spacer in there, it's a given you're going to increase height.

What's your final height? From center of axle to bottom of fender
Old 05-02-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Ranchos are stiffer than stock. So if you replaced stock shocks with those, and/or the shocks you replaced were shot, then that would explain the extra stiffness.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
I'm not seeing how this is possible. If you stick a 1.75" spacer in there, it's a given you're going to increase height.

What's your final height? From center of axle to bottom of fender
Oops. That was a typo on my part.

I meant the height of the truck prior to installing the spacers. It seems like it was untouched. The rear had the normal sag so the front seemed normal

After I installed the spacers in the front and the rear Zuk mod I was happy with the height where I didn't have to adjust the torsion bars.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Ranchos are stiffer than stock. So if you replaced stock shocks with those, and/or the shocks you replaced were shot, then that would explain the extra stiffness.

The shocks I replaced on the truck were the original ones when the truck was new. They were blown but the truck still was very stiff up front. It wasn't bouncy as one would expect with blown shocks.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:24 PM

+1 I've got the same spacers. I felt like the ride was smoother after removing my sway bar. Relax the torsion bars half an inch. Maybe run the front tires 5lb under. It's a 30 year old 4x4 not a caddy
Old 05-04-2016, 12:51 AM

I hear you on not a caddy. I do remember riding in trucks that weren't as bad.

However I've been paying more attention to this truck on the highway the last two days when I hit bumps. I'm starting to believe it's the rear that may be stiff and not the front. I gotta throw this thing into some good highway bumps and potholes to really narrow it down.

I ordered the 14 inch springs at 100lbs for the Zuk mod which I read was the correct spring rate for a truck that's usually unloaded.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:59 AM

My girl has a 95 runner and the front feels softer than my 87. Could be the weight of her v6 vs my 4banger, could be my torsion bars are worn out. I looked at the Zuk coil spring mod and it looks great. Coil springs definitely offer a softer ride. When I got mine it was riding on the overload spring and I addressed that by adding a rancho 1" add a leaf to the pack. Not very soft but easy and cheap.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I can promise you one thing. Doing the ZUK mod is going to make the rear suspension stiffer than it was before. It doesn't matter what brand or type of leaf springs you have installed. Nor does it matter what type of coil springs you use. Or what condition the leaf springs are in. You will automatically end up with a stiffer rear suspension as a direct result.

Which is one of the reasons I think the ZUK mod is dumb. Just replace the leaf springs. Or try a progressive rate AAL. In fact I'll bet any AAL is actually better than any ZUK mod. As far as stiffening up the suspension less. It's way beyond time for someone to prove that hypothesis. But it ain't gonna be me. It's way less work and a far more reliable setup to do new leaf springs or AALs instead.

Oh..."but the ZUK mod is so innovative and effective". No...it's stupid and if not done absolutely perfectly is going to fall apart if you ever do some serious flexing of the rear suspension.You're also making a less complicated system considerably more complicated with all the added parts required to do it. It fails the KISS test right out of the gate. IOW it's a cheap ass hack job is what it is. AALs or replacement leaf springs will never fail on you...EVER!!!

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-04-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 PM

I agree the Zuk mod would complicate the rear suspension. I got my add a leafs off eBay for like 50 shipped and real easy to install. I never looked back. Ome offers replacement leaf packs but new leafs will set you back hundreds.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^I agree 100%.
I appreciate ZUK for documenting this as I think it's a great Jerry-rig solution as a cheap and temporary bandaid - but I seriously have no idea why it's so "popular" now and people are actually seeking it out as their first attempt to "remedy" the common Toyota saggy butt
Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 AM

Hey guys, bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.

So, the last year of driving my pickup ive just accepted that theres something not right in the front end. It just doesnt seem to be absorbing bumps like it should. As Ive mentioned before, I never touched the torsion bars after installing the 1.75" Tall BJ Spacers and Rancho Shocks. The rear of the truck is just the stock saggy leafs with a 14" Tall 100lbs rate spring to pick the truck up off of its overload and lift it slightly. Prior to even touching the suspension when I first got the truck running after the motor swap, it rode like garbage. The front didnt seem to even really bounce with the blown original shocks. And the rear was just laying on the overload. Again, as I stated up top, the torsion bars seem to be untouched when I got the vehicle. As it was bone stock and didnt seem higher than most of them do stock. Even if it was slightly adjusted, I dont think it would even ride as bad as it did.

So basically what my question is. Am I overlooking something in the front end? This year, im looking into removing the stock rear springs and the ZUK mod to replace them with proper lift springs. Im even considering going with a bracket lift up front and keeping the spacers with just turning down the torsions a bit. I just dont wanna lose the height the truck is at. So if someone is replying, I just want info on the front end.

Im just looking for good street driving capabilities. This truck is strictly a street truck with the look of a mall crawler. Thanks guys!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 AM

I'm curious if your front springs were turned up sometime before you got the truck. How close are the upper control arms to the stops? Are they touching? Did someone turn them up so much that they are loaded into the stops? If everything up front is good I'd be thinking about the ZUK mod and the Rancho shocks.

I'd take the front shocks off and drive it around to eliminate them as the culprit. You might also add some weight, 300 or 400 pounds, to the vehicle and see how that affects the handling/feel. A road/camping trip load smooths my rig out a lot.

My '86 'Runner has 1.25" spacers up front and OME medium duty springs in the rear (one leaf pulled). No diff drop. I installed OME shocks all around. I also removed the anti-sway bar. I've got the ARB winch bumper but no winch mounted yet - the bumper alone adds considerable weight. Front end (and rear too) feels great to me, on and off road.

Miami Vice fan?

Last edited by Mr. No SPAM; 01-07-2017 at 07:37 AM.