Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'87 4Runner Manual Transmission and TF: Troubleshooting out of the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'87 4Runner Manual Transmission and TF: Troubleshooting out of the truck?

I pulled the transmission and transfer case from my '87 4Runner because I stopped getting any power from the engine to the wheels in either 2wd or 4wd, and after replacing the clutch and some other diagnostic work I believe we've narrowed it down to one of those two components. I've separated the two, and I tried manually turning the input end of each while trying to hold the output end in place, hoping that something would just turn freely and I'd know right away where the problem was. But I've tried that while shifting through all the gears, and near as I can tell everything seems to be working as it should.

Maybe I'm just not able to apply enough force by hand? Can anyone give me any good pointers on how to check out a transmission/TF outside of the vehicle to make sure they're working correctly, beyond what I've done? I'm considering pulling them apart further on my own, but I'm a little nervous about doing that, plus it would be nice to narrow the problem down to one or the other first.

I guess the only other option is to haul them off to someone else to take a look at them... Anyone have any good advice about finding a fair and affordable place that would do that, or any specific recommendations for places in the San Jose, CA area?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
if you've already pulled the transmission, replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing anyway. i doubt you can create enough "hand power" to slip the clutch. when it slips, the crankshaft is applying force, transmitting that to the driveshafts, which in turn are trying to spin the wheels. that's a fair amount of force. the slippage is resistance to that, and the clutch disc's inability to transmit all of the force.