Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner, Driver seat is TOAST... help...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
87 4Runner, Driver seat is TOAST... help...

My 87 4Runner, driver side seat, is TOAST! lol. The adjustable lumbar and reclining lever are DONE. The lumbar one is all bent and I can't even operate it, ..... the Reclining side lever seems as though something internal is toast, ...they wont work! lol(This is partly due to me having the speaker boxes back there, right up against the seat, then I forget some times and try to recline and that box resists/tweaked something, I KNOW IT. I will remedy that, move the speakers, whatever, but for nowwwwwwwww?>>>)

I found a 2005 Scion TC, Leather Gray Seats for 100$ for the pair....

1. Is that a good deal?(I'm assuming it is, ... considering year, wear, leather)
2. Will I need to cut/drill like a banshee to make these fit??????

I WANT EM, bad, cuz I've been uncomfy on long trips for a while(the butt part and somewhat on the sides, too, is worn out, cutting into my ribs)... Plus, now, the driver side one is taking a dump!

I want em, but if the 93-95 4Runner seats are more easily dropped in, then I'd go for that, instead. In that case, I would try Pick-u-part, maybe go with some dimensions in hand, and get an even more comfy seat .....IF I KNEW WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! lol

I see lots of threads on "what will fit in my 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 4Runner" ...... but the only swap that seems fairly simple is the Second Gen 4Runner one. I know Scuba dropped Scion Seats in his rig and he loves em... but that's a short bed, standard cab pick up..... Mine needs to slide forward quite a bit so people can get in the back seat, ya know? I would even like seats that roll forward even further.... don't care about heating, etc., ...and wonder on the 'seat belt warning' in the dash, as a concern for 'ANNOYANCE'(this is where Ian and others whom are GR8 with electronics could really help! lol)

ANY input would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS> VERY IMPORTANT...... I'm not the skinniest guy, true... but more importantly, I'm around 54" in the chest/ribs/very wide shoulders... this makes for VERY PAINFUL cutting into my floating rib/Scapula's, while driving in the CRV, .... and those seats are not bad. If the Scion Seats are like that, I'll let you know, but for now, I can only just look at stuff til I get the 'GET THOSE, TRUST ME, HERE'S MY THREAD, DUMMY' type posts! lol.

PSS> Sorry for basically asking, "What seats will fit in my 87 4Runner", ..... I might have missed it, I'm sorry if so, but I couldn't find a SOLID answer as to what will work, no doubt, "here's a write up", etc. I will DEFINITELY take LOTS of pictures and do a good write up of my process as soon as I get rolling on this.... so maybe it's worth it. If not, point me, after a good beating, to the right thread, and I'll have the mods delete it? lol.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once i get my truck back I can get pics. I got 90s prelude seats for 50$ and just hacked stock seat brackest up and had them welded to fit. I only had to weld the legs on to the stock presulde brackets so they would bolt in. They are bolt in and really comfortable with good side bolstering.

These are the ones i have in mine.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/9...ludeSeats1.jpg
Old 08-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd say go find some comfy seats then modify them to install if necessary.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Mark, if you want, I can help you retrofit those scion seats in your truck. You know I did the same for mine. I figure the cutting and welding won't be much different than what I did. And no, they will not easily bolt in, the brackets are way different.

And yea, 100 is a great deal. Keep in mind, those seats are LARGE and even I feel like they take up a little too much space.
But, shoot me a txt and we can figure out when we can put em in. Should only take a day. I'm free this Saturday and Sunday.

210-9zero2 9 zero 5 four.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Thanks a lot, Guys!

Scooooob, ....you are VERY kind! I'm usually very slammed on the weekends, so I will have to dig their 'weekend wish list' out of them by tomorrow... that way I wont keep you holding some time to help me, if I can't even get free from work, ya know? THANK YOU, MAN!

Hmmmmmmmmm, way different, eh? Even with my 87?

I actually found a couple at the Pick-u-part, today, that might just work.... I'll try to nail down, tomorrow, everything, .... as far as this weekend, will the ones in the J-yard work, etc., etc., and DEFINITELY give you a shout!

Thanks Waskily Wabbit! lol. I'ma figure something out! lol.

1styota, .... a Prelude, eh? Hmmm.... The Integra I spied out today at Pick-u-part seemed to be around the same dimensions... didn't see any Preludes.... not many hondas at all, actually. MANY Camry's, lol. (which I've actually been told would work fairly easily.....gonna investigate further on that).... and I also found a 2000-SOMETHING Hyundai, .....THE SEATS WERE SPOTLESS, which is rare for those places, lol... And they also looked to be around the same dimensions as the integra seats. I know, almost ANY seat, even 2nd gen 4unners are gonna take a LIL work, and that's fine ..... Just wanna make sure they're comfortable, too, ya know? I actually did find a 95 4Runner.... the seats are in good shape, visually... but they seem a lil, well, flimsy? The handles were wobbly and it seemed to give a lil grief sliding forward... But Pick-u-part is at 50% off EVERYTHING this weekend, .... so I might just have to take a chance, ya know?

As I said....they have to be wide enough at the ribs, ...otherwise I can't go there! lol.

Sorry this is so frazzled, .... very busy day.... I'll be back with more 'DETAILED' things to add when I figure it out a lil more(options, etc.)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just keep the seat rails from your seats. I'm sure they are in fine condition.
Bolt them to the new seats from whatever vehicle you choose.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Swap passenger side to driver's side. done. No really subscribing to this one just to watch.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
Just keep the seat rails from your seats. I'm sure they are in fine condition.
Bolt them to the new seats from whatever vehicle you choose.
Hmmmm, I feel like it's more complex of a swap than that, isn't it, Stuwy? Not a sarcastic guy, so you know... I'm seriously asking! lol. Ok, I am, at times, a bit of a razzer.... but NOT TODAY, promise! lol .... sooooooooo, I can use my rails, in some cases, I know that.... they just move the mounting bolt holes at times, other times, the rails/mounting spots, etc., are totally different, ....Like with the Scion TC seats. In order to swap the new seats to my rails, I would have to render the old seats 'JUNK'... So we'll see. My passenger seat is PERFECT.... As I said, we'll see. I find TOTALLY wasted seats like mine at the yard all the time, ....sometimes they'll just give em to you if you buy something else, small.... So I might do that for the rails, ya know? Wanna try to fix my seats, over time, and avoid destroying them for this swap... The fabric, etc., is perfect, and I think I would be wise to try and save the original/perfect (surface-wise) SR-5 Seats... no?

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Swap passenger side to driver's side. done. No really subscribing to this one just to watch.
Hahaha.... I thought about doing a "Philbert", as they say, hehehehe(Love yer work, Phil, ...just messin) ..... Anyway, >>>>>>>>>..........

..... I got new seats, I will post up later today, when I clean the grease hand prints from the KNOBS that hang out at Pick-U-Part on 50% off day!!!!!!!!! They are 90'something(???.... Maybe 88 or so) Camry LXE Gray Luxury fabric(not the burlap sack stuff,..more like velour) Cloth seats..... other than the stains, they seem like the person must have been older(cuz they took care of them like an older lady would)... and small person(cuz the cushions seem like no one ever sat in them!).... But again, the stains from these knobs hands are pretty scuzzy..... I gotta clean em up a lil. The head rests are SUWEEEEEEEEEEEET, compared to mine. They're also 5 level adjustable forward-clicking.... And they're MUCH thicker, so I can actually drive while sitting back, reclined, and not have to look down over my nose! lol. (anyone know what I mean???? I HATE THAT! lol)

As gross as it sounds, I did smell them very carefully..... Especially, in a yard...... NOT ONLY because people die in wrecks or get seriously injured and relieve themselves(told you it was gross, lol)..... But MORE SO, because of....... can you guess?>>>>>> CATS! friggin cat urine is worse than anything! That is the Wrecking yards WORST enemy! Ask one! lol.. And fortunately, ..... this Camry came in WHILE I was there, .....fork lift brought it in, and I RAN! lol. Still, cats might have gotten to it while it sat.... so I inspected, carefully(I didn't stuff my nose in the cracks or anything, ....I promise! lol. I have INCREDIBLE sense of smell... I've always had it... and hearing. Didn't even have a wiff of BO, nothing! And like I said, they're pretty clean, considering. Couple tiny lil marks in the back.... ALMOST look like Cig burns, but no burning! lol. So I think they're something else... You'll see, tiny.

Anyway, ...here they are.>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here's some other stuff I got for like 10$ total! >>>>>>

Did I do good for 48$ total for the day???? (OH, I also got 40FT of 10G quality Wire! ..... so I can wire up some extra lights, my aux power, etc...That wouldn't have been free, right? lol)>
Old 09-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Old 09-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea, you did good. When i got my 4Runner the whole interior was toast, i found a set of bucket seats from a mid 80`s corolla and with some moding and fabing i was able to mount the corolla seats to the stock 4Runner seat brackets, and it turned out good and even matched my interior color.
http://
Old 09-03-2011, 11:58 PM

Hey guys

I hit the other Pick-U-Part, today, just up the street from the one I found the Camry Seats at.... After a few hours of walking the GIANT PLACE, I'd found at least 3 4Runners(all 2nd Gen), but they Didn't have any seats or, while one had Gray Seats, working mechanically, they had decent tears in them and had foam coming out of the Headrest, just like mine.(Mine is falling apart and half of the foam has fallen out of the driver side head rest, on top of the fact that the Seats Mechanical portions are TOAST).

I checked measurements of many other rigs, .... turns out the Preludes, Integra's, early 90's Civics, and a couple others ARE fairly close and would work.... but couldn't find any that weren't tore up.... and when I finally did(black and gray), I found they just weren't right, ergonomically, for me.

Then, while about to leave, I found a Newer Model Maxima...... Dark Charcoal Gray Leather Seats, near mint condition, that I'm pretty sure I can make work. Exact measurements inside to outside on both driver and passenger side, nearly exact from front to back on the outside of both, but on the inside, they're set up for mounting to the tranny hump....but also have a hole facing downward. The distance from rear to rear is 18", same as mine... So I think the best way to do it will be to remove my seat mounting feet and weld them right over the right spot on my rig. The driver seat is electric and the passenger is not. So, while I might have to make them fit(modding one bolt hole location... which I might just drill out a new one, further back).... they are by far the most comfortable seats I've sat in out of 100 in the last few days. The sales dude realized that driver was electric, passenger was mechanical, but I was cracking everyone up, including him, so he said, "Meh, ..... 41$ and change for both, we're good", kinda quietly, and I walked out with em for 40$. I have to rig up the wiring, but I think I have that figured out already. At least 5 people stopped me on the way out and even near my rig and said, "You got those in there? TODAY???????" ..... And a Nissan/Infinity Guy told me those are the best they ever made, quality wise, ....so I could probably get 4-5 times my money back, easy for the pair. I figure for 40$, ..... and I can resell em if it's a bust.... WHATEVER! lol

I PLAN ON MAKING THEM WORK! hahaha. I figure, like Wabbit said, "I say get ones that are VERY comfortable, just what you want, and make em fit!" is what stuck with me all day. I like the Camry seats, but the reclining/raising portion is the 'round/dial' type, that you have to turn around and around to get to recline/raise. Makes sense, they were out of a 4door.... But why should I have to deal with that if I don't have to, right?

Was a great learning experience, so far, and its' really got me wanting to re-carpet, redo some interior blunders of the PO(like cutting holes for 6x9's in the rear like a blind banshee! lol)..... and more. I will be REALLY stoked if I make these work... but again, .....no doubt I will get my money's worth out of them if I can't.

My good buddy Andy is coming by, tomorrow, and once again, he will be helping me to make this work(Without him, I probably wouldn't have ever gotten this deep into fixing these rigs.... VERY grateful, brudda!). If I have to, I will GLADLY visit Scoob down in Temecula if it comes down to needing to weld in some stuff(not sure Andy has that equip. here in CA..... My neighbor might, and he's home tomorrow, so we'll see)

Wish me luck, guys... I'll have picks up tomorrow in the light!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Ok, ................I'm kinda stuck, lol.

I've spent 3 days(when I could find time) in the Pick-your-Part in Wilmington during their 50% off sale(They have 2 yards within a mile of each other, and I've been in both). I got the Camry Seats there(not going to use them, already have a buyer) and 98 Maxima Seats, and neither are practical... Mainly because of the bracket set up(way too long into the rear, might work with some welding, etc., but I also have a buyer who wants them as well.... Will triple my money on the both of them, so I'm not worried)...

I'm going to take a second look at the Scion Yard, today, and see what it would involve, per my neighbors instructions/suggestions. Andy came by to help with the Maxima seats(OMGOSH, so comfy, lol)... but again, they're 4door so they're very different and wouldn't likely be practical w/out serious modification. The Scion TC seats were actually doable, but I wanna get all the measurements first.

In the Passenger side of the 4Runner, which I stupidly didn't measure properly, the dimensions are

17.25 inches across from front to front mount.
12.5 Inches from front to rear mounts
18 inches from rear to rear mounts

This is shorter by 3 inches from the Driver seat, front to rear mounts, which are

17.25" front to front
15.5 inches from front to rear mounts
18" rear to rear mount.....

MOST seats of newer 2 door sport cars are the same, on both sides. I'm assuming this is because the doors are MUCH longer on those cars, compared to my 1st Gen 4Runner doors. This allows the people to get out the back of the sport cars much easier than with our first gens. So, the sport car seats can go back further(Whereas, our 4Runner seats do not adjust forward or backward unless you're pushing the seat up to get out.... I DO NOT MIND drilling out new holes... But 3" further back, and to the side a bit(where both of the other seats I have mount)... the Fuel Lines run right there. Plus, even if I ran a bracket to modify mounting location.... it would be a problem of how the person in the back wouldn't have room to get out. IF I shaved the feat off, had MY feet from my spare 4runner seat welded on, it MIGHT work... but still might not roll forward enough, nor be back far enough to be comfy.... Make sense?

I don't mean to sound like I'm bitch'n, lol.... I'm actually enjoying this search for the 'PERFECT TUSH CUSHION'! LOL.

In the meantime, I found a working, yet slightly torn 2nd Gen 4Runner driver seat in GREAT condition, cushion wise and wing wise, for my 1st Gen, ....but it's SO uncomfortable for my wide back/rib cage, that I am going to be putting my orig. seat back in until I can either find a replacement SR5 86-89 SR5 seat... Or until I can get down to Temecula where Scoob and I will get in whatever I find(Scion TC or maybe the Nissan seats I found, ...who knows!lol).

My point, in part, in this post.....

2nd Gen 4Runner seats, for a guy with a 54" chest/wide shoulders, ...... NOT COMFORTABLE, AT ALL! It's bizarre, ...they look nearly identical, and took only minor tapping of mounts to get them to bolt right in to the driver side.

PS> My Only other option is to see if the interior repair guy I heard of in Long Beach can fix my SR5 Seat for a good price! lol. I will be calling him, today, to see what he wants/when he can meet me to tell me if my seat frame can even be repaired.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM

hammer hacksaw, jb weld just sayin. lol.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
hammer hacksaw, jb weld just sayin. lol.
^^^ ......... hahaha. Yeah,.... I have a 4.5" Cutter that would hack those feet right off. Might work, you're right, ...but the sliders are different on the Maxima, big time. So, being that the Driver seat is electric(which works BEAUTIFULLY, btw, ...super quiet!)... and seeing that the Passenger rail is WAY too long... I just don't see it working without cutting the entire frame assembly off/swapping them onto mine, etc.

I'ma do some looking at the driver seat, today, since we never really got that far the other day once we saw the 'fitment issues', lol.

OH< yeah, .... it's not just the Feet... it's the height of the whole Slider/bracket assembly, .... that's what makes the seat sit so high. The seat is not any higher, itself... it's the assembly.

I'll get some pics, today, so you can see the difference, guys... Thanks for your patience with my backwards/slow way of tackling this! lol. I only have so much time, no welding equipment, ....and I'm just learning how to 'work with metals like this pertaining to 'making things fit'... I REALLY want the maxima seats more than anything... most comfy seats I've sat in, LONG TIME, ...besides my buddies 740iL, lol. <<< WAY too wide! lol
Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 AM

new bolts and some ducktape? You can always just ratchet strap them to the floor too.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 PM

Okie dokie... Duct tape it is! lol.

Sorry been away, life is CRAZY right now, and I mean INSANE! lol. S'all good though.

I finally decided to be COMFY, more than anything! I have the other seats on CL and Ebay and shouldn't have any trouble selling them. They're both REALLY comfy, but being out of 4 doors, they're just not that practical...

So, I went down, today, and fished through EVERYTHING the guy had, and picked out the cleanest Scion TC seats I could find. They roll forward AMAZING amounts, and roll back as well, just as much! lol. This should help for people being able to get out. He suddenly, after I came the other day, went UP in price, to 75$ EACH seat, instead of 125$ for both.... But in all fairness, it wasn't the boss I dealt with the first time. TODAY, the Boss was there, and I said, "250??????? This one has a lil tear in the side by the leg adjuster(and I mean VERY lil! lol).. and this one has some spotting from water...."..... He pressed me, after 1 full minute of silence... "OKayyyyyyy, ...how much you wanna pay?".... I said, "100, no more"..... "OK, done", he said, and then he said .... "Remove them, Carlos!" hahahaha.

100$ for these seats? MAN, I think I scored. And since Scuba will likely be helping me, it should not be too much trouble to remove the Scion Mounting Feet and slap mine on there, adjusted to fit right in, ya know? (Not trying to put you on the spot, Scoob... I understand if it has to wait or not happen at all, even! I'm grateful for your offer)

I just want 100$ for the Camry Seats and 150$ for the 95 Maxima Seats..... I think that's fair, right? Yes, I got them cheaper, ...but I BUSTED MY ARSE in the hot arse sun for a COUPLE days, searching and then pulling them! lol. If not, Oh well, I'll bargain, whatever, lol.

I'll have pics up of the seats, tomorrow
Old 09-08-2011, 09:36 PM

Ok, sorry for taking so long..... Here's the pics of the 2005 Scion TC seats I picked up for 100$....

Before cleaning(I KNOW, yuck! lol.... They were outside for a bit)...

I washed em and got THIS out of them......

Here they are, drying, and then all cleaned up.......

Dudes, seriously..... IF YOU GET USED SEATS, CLEAN THEM WELL! lol. That water was SOOOOOOOOOO GROSS, and that was only the steamer... The Shop-Vac water I back up suctioned the seats with had all kinds of nasty water in it too! YUCK! lol. In fact, we should all steam clean our own seats that we're using in our rigs, on occasion! lol.

Hope they work out as well as I'm hoping! lol.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 PM

Spoke to Scoob today. I'm going to get some detailed measurements, then shoot em to him, just to try and help in advance a lil... And it MIGHT be go time next weekend. We'll see..... people are busy these days, ...gotta go with the flow, yeah?

I'm excited, ... been wanting to do something like this for a WHILE! Need more comfy cush-cush! lol. These are a bit racy and not SUPER soft or anything, ...but that's good! They're a LOT softer than the CRV seats that I use for work some times. Those seats KILL ME! They're not bad, just bad for me, ya know? Breaking my tailbone, back and multiple ribs to the point of coma for 14 days......yeah, that didn't help, lol(Thank GOD for Toyota 1st Gen runners.... part of the reason I lived, that thing took a TREMENDOUS BLOW! hehe) These are a LIL more giving in the rump, which is set up in a way that's a bit different than the solid underframe CRV seats that I don't like very much, lol.

I'll be posting pics and such as I measure, maybe that will help others figure out what will fit in their first gens..... 1 thing to remember, .... The front seat, passenger side, is only 12.5" from front mounting hole to rear mounting hole... The Driver? 15.5".... This changes things a bit, especially in regards to the pass. seat going forward enough for people to get in and out of the rear, easily, ya know?

anyway, more to come, sorry it's been kinda going nowhere for a bit.... aside from starting a seat collection at my home! lol. I'LL GET IT, promise! I usually do, with plenty of pics, video, etc., right? lol.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re. Toyota 4Runner seat swap

Subscribed - needing to replace the seats in the '84 truck. Thanks for keeping the details and pics coming.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Hey guys...........

I spent a bit of time looking everything over, measuring, etc., etc., ..... I'm just not sure these Scion Seats will work,..........I'll explain, in a video, mostly. The long and short problem is the passenger seat is, 1. too tall and 2. not easily separated from the bracketry/frame because the bracket for going forward is dual stage. Pull up under your feet and it goes forward some..... lift the lever on the upper/side or the recliner lever on the bottom/side and it rolls forward another few inches for the person in back to get out... But again, it's too tall, and doesn't adjust up and down like the driver seat, which CAN be made low enough, as I mentioned in these videos which I've posted on my build thread.....

I think I can actually make the driver one fit without any welding even, ...but then I have what, my stock passenger seat? I do NOT want to do this mixed match, ya know?

Tried out the Maxima seats, today, ....they might even work, but again are too TALL! lol. The driver seat is electric, ... so I can't really chop that one up, ya know? lol.

PICS Of Scion tC seats and 4Runner Seat:

driver seat on the left, pass. on right........ Driver is adjusted down........

Longer in the legs than my 4Runner seat as well........

Bolt in front of Scion seat I could snug to my frame if I remove the Scion tC seat from the frame and brackets and put on my frame(which I will explain later would be nearly impossible to do without major drama, lol)......

Ignore the bolt in this pic left/center.... the area center/top, where that rivet is, is where the bolt from my frame would have to go through and into the Scion tC seat.....

Here, I'm measuring from the mounting bolt location on the Scion Seat where it would go into my 4runner seat frame, down to the floor....

Here, the same measurement as you can see, on the 4runner....

I will explain more in the video... Maybe I'm missing something glaringly obvious... IT HAPPENS! lol............

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-02-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 4Runner, Driver seat is TOAST... help...