Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4runner; clunking in front passenger side from 10mph+

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4runner; clunking in front passenger side from 10mph+

a few days ago I went out to my truck in the morning and started driving to work and noticed that once I got up to about 10-15 mph I could feel/hear a slight clunking which seemed to be coming from the passenger side maybe in the tire area.

as I increased in speed it would get a little bit louder and faster and when I decelerated it would start to slow down as the vehicle slowed.

it doesnt seem to be related to engine speed at all (rpms), just actual vehicle speed. I checked that by driving a in a walmart parking lot and getting up to 20mph with the window down, listening to the clunking, and then pushing the clutch in and seeing if there was any change while the engine rpms went down. none whatsoever, just started slowing as the vehicle coasted slower

I engaged 4wd and drove around for a bit, then disengaged and drove around for a bit, not change.

I crawled under and checked the driveshafts for the u-joints. there is a "slight" up and down motion on the front of the rear driveshaft, side to side is solid. i went ahead and picked up two new ujoints that I will throw in in a little bit, just to rule them out.

I visually inspected the front cv joint in that side, not tears/rips or wear. it is in good condition and not had a replacement boot put on or anything like that. I have not lifted the car and tried to spin the tire, shake the tire; and I have not tried turning the steering wheel all the way left/right to test for cv joint, but will do that right before I do the ujoints tonight.

I suspect:
ujoint
cvjoint
wheel beering
(automatic) locking hub

in that order, is there anything else I should check, or should I change the order in any way?

-Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 PM

Jones>>> What happened? I found your post while looking for info on CV Boot replacement. Now I'm curious as to what was making the clunking sound... LOL
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My stab in the dark would be a CV Joint, but I'm blonde, so what would I know. I'm sure some of our more learned colleagues will be along shortly to give you the answer !!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 AM

My '88 was doing the same thing. Upon jacking it up completely in the front and truning the passenger tire as if steering, I found the idler arm was really slopping around. Everything seemed tight with the tires on the ground. After I got it out we spun it around like a party noise maker! Totally wasted. I hadn't thought to look there since there was verry little slop in the steering and almot no wobble at speed.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kitty's 4Runner
My stab in the dark would be a CV Joint, but I'm blonde, so what would I know. I'm sure some of our more learned colleagues will be along shortly to give you the answer !!

Uhh... Blonde maybe... But that obviously has no bearing on how much [you] know! Anyone could tell that by checking out your build thread, Kitty.

Our daughter got a kick out of the baby wallaby and the "road train"...

Last edited by dluvlady; 06-09-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:04 PM

i got a clunking noise in front right side ( passenger side ) and like a scratching noise like a mud flap scrapping across the ground i dont know what it is. but it still ride smooth and stuff ?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 PM

I know this was an old thread, but since it's been reborn, I'll throw in my two cents. My truck did the same thing. I tracked the clunk down to the plastic cap in the middle of the rim. I put some tape around the clamps that hold it to the rim, and no more clunking. it made me very happy that is was not in my suspension/steering. Good cheap place to start before you go spending money on it.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Had a bolt missing from my front differential mount on one side so the diff would bounce on the cross-member. Took me two drive shaft rebuilds and a set of locking hubs until I noticed.