Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22re hard fuel line replacement

Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4Runner 22re hard fuel line replacement

Hey folks,

I've cracked the return hard fuel line right below the transition to the horse-collar fitting right where the return hard line leaves the frame rail going back into the tank. All the hard fuel lines (and brake lines) are really rusted bad and I'd like to replace them all. I've found a brake line replacement kit, but I'm having trouble finding an aftermarket replacement fuel line kit that will cover everything. I'm guessing I will end up custom making most of the lines.

Has anyone had any luck replacing rusted fuel lines like this? Do you have any recommendations on kits or maybe just a list of parts I'll need?

Thanks,

Xenofiend

Last edited by xenofield; 04-24-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The Brake lines are easy just buy a roll of tubing 3/16" there was a person on here who had access to both the long and short nuts Flash319

The fuel lines are going to be a real pain . I have looked but I never had any luck outside the dealer for fuel lines.

I have yer to find the fittings anyplace if someone knows please let me know

The worse place is on the fuel pump bracket where it connects to the lines running front. It most often cracks or breaks in this area when trying to break the fittings loose.

If you can get at the fuel line where it cracked and put in a short piece of fuel injection hose with the fuel injection clamps you might be able to keep it running.

This is going to be a project once you start.

Good Luck
Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe stock hard fuel lines ain't so bad...

At first, I really wanted to just by-pass those old rusted hard lines with some rubber fuel injection type hose from the local parts store. However, it occurred to me that this method was pretty un-safe. Next I thought about having all new custom made lines put in. This is really expensive and if you are all stock like me, you just end up paying a custom shop big $$$ to custom manufacture OEM parts! After some preliminary research, I've found 3 realistic options for replacing busted hard fuel lines:

1. The safe route: Replace worn out lines with new OE hard lines and connectors from a dealer.

2. The MacGyver: This method involves leaving the original hard fuel lines in place, cutting out the damaged portion, and using a length rubber high pressure fuel line and some hose clamps to bridge the gap. The main drawbacks to this method are: 1. It's dangerous. Factory hard fuel lines are designed to resist puncture and cracking from road and trail debris. A rubber and clamp job is not going to hold as well or for as long as the OE hard line. Replacing large sections of the OE hard line with rubber will increase the chances for a future fuel leak. Even a tiny leak on a high pressure fuel line could easily catch fire and burn a rig to the ground.

3. Full Custom: This method involves custom made lines. There are shops that specialize in custom made fuel lines. Or, you can build them yourself with the right tools. They are way more expensive than the OE hard lines from the dealer. I've mostly seen this in heavily customized rock crawlers and performance engine upgrades. Folks who opt for custom lines seem to require more line diameter than factory, and or they have moved or replaced their stock gas tank.

I'm going to try and go with option 1 and talk to my local dealer about getting a replacement return line.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What option did you go with?

I'm unfortunately in the same boat. With the same line. The hard line going from the sending unit to the hard line running up the frame. Saw mine leaking while idling in a friend's driveway. Was worried about fire and also the whole line breaking on the way home.
I know the pressure rubber fuel line will fix it. But never thought about it being unsafe? Sure, the line won't last as long as a metal one, but will it really rot away that quickly to be dangerous?
Just curious as to what you ended up going with and or if you knew the dealer numbers for that replacement line(know that's a stretch)?