Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'86 Turbo Fuel Pump Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'86 Turbo Fuel Pump Replacement Question

Hello Yotatech,

I'm getting ready to replace my fuel pump (it's hesitating around 50mph) and have a question: Do I need to depressurize the fuel system before replacing the pump? I've searched forums and YouTube videos and, from what I've seen, the guys are just focusing on the actual pump replacement, not the rest of the job. I've read my maintenance manual and can't find anything that says to depressurize anything. However, I'm not dropping the fuel tank. In order to do that, it does say I need to depressurize before proceeding. I'm going to make use of the hatch that gives me access to the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Clay
Old 07-06-2015, 11:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Some people will release the pressure some don`t bother it is a personal thing.

I always release the pressure but your still going to get gas leaking out .

Good luck getting the old fitting loose without breaking.

Have you relocated your fuel filter while your working on the fuel system??
Old 07-08-2015, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Some people will release the pressure some don`t bother it is a personal thing. I always release the pressure but your still going to get gas leaking out . Good luck getting the old fitting loose without breaking. Have you relocated your fuel filter while your working on the fuel system??
I appreciate the reply. I'll be replacing the filter as well to see if that helps. Relocating is a good idea...
Old 07-09-2015, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Disconnect the battery first so the fuel doesnt run down to the Starter wire. Then I just loosen the bolt to the fuel line on the filter and slowly let it pressure off of it that way. You will spill a few ounces of fuel. That is how I do it.

Another way would be to loosen the connection at the Cold Start Injector with a rag under it to catch the fuel as well.

Since you are going thru the hatch on a runner, you can disconnect the power supply and then start the truck and let it burn up the fuel til it runs out. I think that is how Toyota recommends to do it anyway.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Disconnect the battery first so the fuel doesnt run down to the Starter wire. Then I just loosen the bolt to the fuel line on the filter and slowly let it pressure off of it that way. You will spill a few ounces of fuel. That is how I do it.

Another way would be to loosen the connection at the Cold Start Injector with a rag under it to catch the fuel as well.

Since you are going thru the hatch on a runner, you can disconnect the power supply and then start the truck and let it burn up the fuel til it runs out. I think that is how Toyota recommends to do it anyway.
I appreciate the help. It was a success! Now I can go above 50 mph.