Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 Pickup, 22R 5 speed transmission/shifter ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Pickup, 22R 5 speed transmission/shifter ?

Changing transmission oil today and can't get the filler plug off.... any ideas? vice grips just tore it up and a chisel didn't do much better... lol guess I'm going to my shop guys :-(

So I take off shifter stick (to fill case because, yuuuup, already drained it) and find a lot of what appeared to be dried up grease? or thinking more likely a rubber bushing that disintegrated down in the opening after I removed the stick... lots of it.... went to Toyota dealer and seems I'm not missing any parts (via their diagram using my VIN). Is there somewhere online here I can find a schematic or diagram of the 5 speed tranny in this truck INCLUDING the shifter? I questioned the Toyota parts guy because his diagram didn't show the spring or cap above it just below the mounting plate... only showed the top of the mounting plate that gets mounted to the top cover of transmission... then the ball that rides in the top cover... I see a wave washer on the bottom of the mount hole but thinking there should be something besides that metal washing against the metal ball of the shifter.... there IS a plastic bushing on the tip of the shifter at the bottom but thinking there should be some cushion in the shifter mount hole????

am I making any sense?!? lol
Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The parts picture can be vague at times.

There is a seat the nylon bushing rides in.

Was your shifter really sloppy??

Check Marlin Crawler

*** Hint 24MM 6 point socket always remove the fill plug first ***

Have new plugs and gasket washers on hand.

Never seize them when installing
Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Shifter is a little sloppy but not as sloppy as I remember it being when the nylon bushing was chewed up maybe 10 yrs. ago.... I believe I understand what you mean by the seat the bushing rides in... and that's fine... I'm talking further up the shifter stub where the other ball or semi ball is.... It just seems there would be some cushioning in there... I thought there was a metal wave washer down in the mount for the ball but after further inspection it was a rubber washer/seat! Meanwhile I found an exploded diagram of shifter and retainer for a 4Runner of that year and while top cover looked different, did order the rubber washer for it thinking maybe it would make things a little stiffer... looks a little different but may experiment... thanks for the help.... I'm thinking most of that chewed up rubber I noticed might have just been from the shifter boot that goes over the mount plate... it's falling apart pretty bad and maybe from the shifting and heat, it's just been falling down into there somehow.... guess if it works, not gonna mess with it too much! :-)

btw, mine wasn't a 24mm bolt.... it was a 17mm... and yes, probably tightened it too much whenever I last changed it.... if I had extra fill/drain bolts for all the vehicles and engines I own just in case of a situation of a seized bolt, I'd be poor... ;-) filled 'er up through the stick shift and works for now... maybe take to shop one day to get fill plug out since it is a good way to just check the level....

Last edited by Brian1973; 08-28-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have been away from the W56 series with the smaller plug.

Maybe that is why I am broke having all these extra parts

How did you tell when it was at the correct level just put in the amount called for??
Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 AM

Calls for 2.5qts in owner's manual... put 3 in ;-) (plus that's about what I pulled out of it)