Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 P/U Restoration Trans/Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 P/U Restoration Trans/Fuel Tank

Ok I will start with a little history on the truck 86 22RE I am the only owner I use the truck for hunting and camping. In 2001 everything under the truck was shot so I put a 4 inch Pro Comp stage II lift kit on it I didn’t use the 4 inch rear blocks I put news springs on the rear replaced all the ball joints and all new polyurethane bushings 26 MM torsion bars and 33/12.50’s BFG’s a LCE dual row timing chain conversion and H4 head lights. All was good till 2003 when it blew HG I pulled the head and off then the world fell apart lost my job so on and so on the truck has been moved 5 times AZ to CA and back to AZ again and some moves in the middle of all that but I hung on to it just couldn’t let it go. Well it 2011 and I have started working on it and I have a lot of questions for you guys and thanks in advance for all the help I know you will give. Tom

1. Fuel tank is there something I can put in it to clean it I have a new fuel pump for it.
2. Auto Transmission sitting for 8 years should I pull the converter and put a new seal in it change the fuild what more should I do.

From this

To this

Dirty

Yuk

New stuff

Cleaning things up

New BFG's 33X12.50R15 KM2's the old BFG's rotted off the rims very upsetting

So much work ahead oh boy !!

Last edited by Chuckar; 06-01-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM

I was working on the truck today and noticed that the seatbelts are shot are there aftermarket ones not having any luck finding OEM ones.

Last edited by Chuckar; 05-31-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Check on car-part.com sometimes you can find some parts on there.

I even checked my inventory and nothing.

Fyi, you HAVE to use XtraCab belts, the regular cab belts won't bolt in to the side panels of your XtraCab
Old 06-05-2011, 04:06 AM

Check on car-part.com sometimes you can find some parts on there.

I even checked my inventory and nothing.

Fyi, you HAVE to use XtraCab belts, the regular cab belts won't bolt in to the side panels of your XtraCab
Thanks DC you just save me some money local guy is parting a regular cab truck I was going pick them up. Found some on car-parts.com thanks again.

Ok back to the gas tank and trans anyone have any advice !
Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 AM

No idea about the fuel tank or trans, but that is a sweet looking truck. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I got my 86, I pumped out 10 gallons of slush. Literally. It sat for about 5 years before I got it. I dropped the tank, took everything out and proceeded to pressure was the mess out of it. Then I took a brush and some simple green and went to work. It suprised me how clean I was able to get it. Not simple but effective. Nice looking truck, hoping to get there one day with mine.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm, I thought I'd been here already, lol.

Far as the Hastings Rings, .... My machinist ordered them. I can ask him if you want, but I think you will hear here, and from Tod and Ted, etc., .....the MOST IMPORTANT factor in your rings seating is not always the type of rings(though IT CAN differ)....as much as how you prep the holes and whether or not the cylinders were fitted to the rings, indicator tested dozens of times as it was being machined and honed, and then, when it is time to seat them in the holes.... DO NOT coat the holes above the piston with lots of oil. I used LINT FREE Towelettes with a thin bit of oil on them to clean and then prep the hole before inserting the pistons/w/rings on(obviously on, lol). You can then VERYYYYYY lightly coat the hole again with just a residue film,...but DO NOT get them really heavily coated with oil. What happens when you do is the piston can come up the first several strokes of the fresh build and 'glaze' the cylinders...... That's what happened to mine, and you can see, in pics I've posted.....they're still totally glazed over and only partially seated after 5K miles!

There are other rings, by other manufacturers that would probably work just fine for you.... But if you want the Hastings-USA rings, .... I can't help you for another week, as he's in Hawaii for another 6 days and has NO PHONE! (what I was told, hahaha... and I wouldn't bother him anyway, the man works VERY hard, lol).
Old 07-05-2011, 10:49 AM

PS> Rings? Looks like your motor is COMPLETELY assembled. Did you do it? Another shop? Please share more as I didn't see that pic above until just now. Don't want you to tear it apart, man, ...it could cause debris, etc., to get in there that you don't want there. Plus, it's fairly precise, the procedure of removing the rods with pistons, re-inserting the rings, bearings, etc., ....... things can go wrong if you're not VERY CAREFUL! I would leave it alone, if it's been built by a shop.

PS> SICK TRUCK, I had to state that again! lol.... nice meats, too!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 AM

OOOOOOOOOOH, LOCKERS, POLAR BEAR STUFFS? Wait, you had a double roller chain already? Did you keep that cover, etc.? I'm a lil confused, help me out here, lol.

Nice looking stuff you got going on here, man! WOW, not cheap, but GREAT investments!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM

nice build so far! as for the fuel tank, It really depends on the condition of the fuel inside the tank. If its really bad sludge, then dumping it/pressure washing it would be the best idea. And the trans, doing a regular service to it would be a good idea, just replacing the old fluid and filter and make sure theres no water or metal chunks in the old fluid. Or just get a manual trans
Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 AM

PS> Rings? Looks like your motor is COMPLETELY assembled. Did you do it? Another shop? Please share more as I didn't see that pic above until just now. Don't want you to tear it apart, man, ...it could cause debris, etc., to get in there that you don't want there. Plus, it's fairly precise, the procedure of removing the rods with pistons, re-inserting the rings, bearings, etc., ....... things can go wrong if you're not VERY CAREFUL! I would leave it alone, if it's been built by a shop.
It is just mock up to check deck height I need too take .010 tho off to get 0 deck I have a ajustable cam gear so cam timing will not be a problem and I am doing all the work my self (not the machine work ) just the assembly.

OOOOOOOOOOH, LOCKERS, POLAR BEAR STUFFS? Wait, you had a double roller chain already? Did you keep that cover, etc.? I'm a lil confused, help me out here, lol.
Yes I still have the LCE cover and the original I just got a new chain and gears for it and a LCE pro oil pump.

nice build so far! as for the fuel tank, It really depends on the condition of the fuel inside the tank. If its really bad sludge, then dumping it/pressure washing it would be the best idea. And the trans, doing a regular service to it would be a good idea, just replacing the old fluid and filter and make sure theres no water or metal chunks in the old fluid. Or just get a manual trans
As for the tank it is dry has been for years so mite not be to bad I just need to get it out work is killing me 50 to 60 hours a week no time.

Last edited by Chuckar; 07-05-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I dont know about the tranny and what to do about that, but in my thread I have listed somethings and links that I did for my fuel tank and it has been working great. Sweet truck.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckar
It is just mock up to check deck height I need too take .010 tho off to get 0 deck I have a ajustable cam gear so cam timing will not be a problem and I am doing all the work my self (not the machine work ) just the assembly.
Ahhh, nice, ok, well, .... If you want, I will reach him as soon as he returns. Let me know, k? Didn't mean to poo-poo your plans or thoughts, Man, .... just was trying to save you some headache if it's not needed, ya know?

Maybe this will help? >>>

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/dev/
Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM

No poo poo here man I appreciate all the help I can get..I like doing the work myself that way I know how it was done. This is my first 22RE but not my first engine rebuild I have the FSM and YotaTech so I think I will be ok. Thanks again for your help Tom
Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckar
I was working on the truck today and noticed that the seatbelts are shot are there aftermarket ones not having any luck finding OEM ones.
I just rebuilt my seat belts with the guys from seatbeltplanet.com, a sister company of BEAM'S an OEM supplier of seat belts.

They can re-web your factory retractors, adjust the retractors or build a new set from their components. What's nice is they have a TON of different webbing colors, you can match up to the factory ones or pick something to jazz it up.

Talk to Chris Moyer. He built my set and I went with electric blue. Make sure you tell him you have the 86-88 model extra cab, not the 89-95 model.

They are great to work with.