Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86' 22rte Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86' 22rte Buildup

Well I have had my 1986 sr5 for 4 months now. And I must say I feel like I have had nothing but problems from the get go , but things are finally starting to change.

When I first aquired it, it had the infamous startup rattle, that I was all too familiar with. So I proceeded to put a timing chain on it. Thus I did, but to no avail, she still rattled, like crazy.

Due to my frustrations, I just let it set for a while, and recently broke back into it. I decided that I was going to go ahead and rebuild the whole thing, as it has 140,000 miles on it. So i yanked the head off......

And its a good thing I did....
  • The headgasket was blown in 5 places (3 between compression & compression, and 2 between compression and coolant)
  • The truck has obviously set for a while, in the past, as there was evidence of prior rusting in 3 cylinders, that has now cleaned off, and is only evident because of the pits in the cylinder wall)
  • The 3 pistons in the rusted cylinders had some damage, and I'm sure it would only get worse.
  • Although the oil pump was new, it had some damage, I believe from some stuff it picked up from the oil pan.

And for now I'm going to assume that the damaged oil pump was resulting in a slow prime, and lower oil pressure, and ultimately my rattling chain.

Anyway, heres what I have in the works for my build up........
  • Block - Cleaned, line bored on the mains, cylinders bored 40 over.
  • Crank - straightened, turned 0.25mm, and polished
  • Bearings - New OEM toyota .25mm over rods, mains, and thrusts(I order 2 sets of cleavites, from 2 different sources both came in damaged, so I said heck with it, I'll get them from the stealership. This doesn't necessarily mean that cleavite is a bad bearing, its just means this time, I was unable to have any good luck with them )Hy
  • Pistons - Hypereutectic 9:1 pistons
  • Stock Rods
  • Head - 3 angle valve job, cleaned up casting on intake and exhaust ports
  • Stock Exhaust Manifolds & Turbo - Cleaned up exhaust manifold casting
  • Dual Row Timing Chain conversion - I dont ever want to deal with timing chain problems again
  • Headgasket - 0.067" MLS Cometic headgasket
  • Head Studs - ARP head studs ( 3 of mine had rust damage, and I prefere going over board in this sense, because I plan to but a better turbo on it in the future)
  • Intercooler - Stock from 91' Mitsubishi Eclipse

I have all my parts in, and right now the machine shop is finishing up with my block and head. As soon as I get that back, I'll post some pics.

I'm anticipating the completion of this project, as I know its going to run so much better, theres no way it had any compression, as bad as those 3 cylinders looked.

And besides, it will be getting warm soon here, and my toyota is my only vehicle with working AC

Smish
Old 03-22-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting... how close are you to having it running?

I haven't seen a 22RTE that's been bumped to 9:1 be attempted yet.. Let us know how it runs.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
No cam modification? Or was yours still in good shape?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Will do. The machine shop will have my block till at least Wednesday.

Unfortunately, I don't think my final compression ration will come out to much higher than stock. The CR of the pistons are based on the 22RE closed combustion chamber(smaller) head. I'm still using the 22RTE open chamber(larger) head. This will effectively increase the final compressed size of the intake charge, and lower my CR.

Also, the stock head gasket thickness is only .040", and the one I have is .067". This will further reduce my CR.

I'm counting on 8.25-8.5:1 in the end though.

Smish
Old 03-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by thook
No cam modification? Or was yours still in good shape?
Fortunately, mine looks brand new, and in fact, may be new. I know the motor was apart, sometime in the past, before I got it.

I still might get a cam before its over with though.

To be honest, I guess I started running out of money, and sacrificed in the area of performance, rather than durability

If I do get a cam, I'm torn as to what to get though. AFAIK, no one offers a turbo/forced induction specific cam, although I know such is not necessary.

My truck is 2wd, and will never see a trail, so in the end I'd rather end up with more mid to upper end power, than bottom end.

Smish
Old 03-22-2008, 01:21 PM

nice! awaiting progress.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:22 AM

This is a shameless bump, in anticipation of receiving my block back

The machine shop stated that my block would be ready for pickup, on Tuesday.

So what do you all think about cams? What cams have you used, or had any experience with?

Currently I'm looking at Engnbldr's RV cam

LC engineering's entry level turbo cam

Smish
Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 AM

the rv cam
Old 04-19-2008, 06:42 PM

Make sure you calculate compression. You need to know two things primarily: Dish or dome volume of those pistons.
CC of your head.

Check it now.. Trust me.