Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 22re 4x4 headache

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 22re 4x4 headache

ok..... so a little background on the truck im about to burn to a cinder. Bought truck and swapped motor (22re) after running truck on 3 cyl for a little.Intake manifold and upper plenum were cleaned along with injectors when motor was swapped. The fuel pump and filter were replaced when the truck was purchased.. Ran fine for a little while after motor was swapped but sputtered heavily under load and going up hills around 3k rpm and on up. Sometimes this sputtering was would mellow out to an occasional miss and i was unconcerned for the most part. Then it got really bad. I tested the AFM and found its dynamic range to vary heavily above 1000 ohms and replaced it. The truck again ran fine for a little but started to bog and lope heavily at idle and sputter occasionally around the same rpm range but would clear up significantly faster and ran better once up to cruising speed. This rough idle became concerning so i tested , replaced, and adjusted the Tps, again the truck ran better for a little while, but completely rich, to the point where black smoke spewed from the exhaust and almost made me pass out( lucky i got up from under the truck when i did). I originally thought the sputtering under load was due to a lean running condition but i now believe it was a overly rich condition. some things to mention would be that the Egr has been bypassed and the VSVs for the 4x4 and AC idle up have been deleted. New o2 sensor also. the IAC has also been replaced with a Needle valve due to the climate of where the truck is located and for manual operation. Spark plugs are fouled with carbon soot indicating overly rich condition. wiring harness in engine bay has been gone through and checked for damaged or otherwise faulty wiring or connectors. Fuel injector plugs were replaced and connections remade.Cold start injector is functional and is not sticking open. No other significant vacuum leaks can be detected. fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is intact.

Now getting to the good stuff.....power steering blew out an old high pressure line new years eve, drive belt for the pump was removed to avoid burning up pump to limp home , but 3 miles down the road the truck died, and would not start and idle . Vacuum lines for PS were removed and associated ports on upper plenum capped to cease vacuum leak through PS system. I towed the pig home and made sure the engine had fuel and spark ( even re stabbed the dizzy). Truck now starts but dies almost immediately after starting, and if i try too many times it gets harder to replicate this start up. my gauges go crazy and this sucks.No amount of manipulation of Dizzy or manual operation of AFM vane will make the truck idle. beyond rechecking new reman AFM and TPS. my diagnosis has led me to a Messed up ECU or faulty ignition system . CEL is now on and showing codes 2, 6, 8. It may be valuable to add that it has rained a little here and the Ecu got a little wet a few times, But would latent water damage be this immediate and disabling to the EFI? Im hesitant to buy or locate a known good ECU because everything ive read or heard has told me ECUs often dont go bunk and that the issue is generally a sensor or wiring issue. Wiring has been 70% checked ( from firewall to plugs in engine bay). EFI ground bundle is grounded on top of NEG ground for battery on engine block. My tests for the ignition system are inconclusive but it seems to be solid with new wires, cap, and rotor.Help a bruh out?

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-02-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Language