Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 22r Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 22r Help needed

I just purchased a 1986 toyota 22r from someone who did not maintain it well. it feels like it has no power especially on hills and max speed is like 50mph it also overheats very quickly and the engine seems to be covered in oil starting at the front topish part of the engine and dripping down and underneath. I purchased radiator flush coolant and new filters for it as well as a thermostat spark plugs and wires. So while replacing the first spark plug and draining radiator I hit my first "snag" the spark plug was very hard to remove but looked fine,once it was out but when it went to put the new one in it stops about 4 threads down and when I pull it out has flakes and gunk (probably stripped threads and 15 yr old anti seize) so I blew it out with an air gun and still won't go past the 4th thread with my fingers and looks crooked . I'm not sure what my options are about the spark plug but I need to get it done to see if the thermostat will stop it from overheating . I also lost my muffler driving it a short distance could the cat converter be causing the overheating issue if the thermostat does not fix it ? Also how can I tell where oil is leaking from ..... Sorry if any of these questions are dumb I bought this truck to learn to work on them so I appreciate any help at all ... Thanks !!
Old 08-05-2016, 11:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
I sure hope you did not pay very much.

You will be learning quite a lot.

Your spark plug issue might be fixed by the use of a thread chaser size escapes me as I have not touched my Coffee yet.

The trouble is getting things lined up so you don`t make it worse.

Are you losing Coolant at all ??

The overheating could be a few things Blocked Radiator either internal or external

Fan Clutch not engaging when needed

Thermostat ?? Just be careful more then likely one or both of the thermostat housing bolts will break

Oil leak might just be the valve cover gasket

might be the head gasket leaking between the head and timing cover

Clean the oil try and see just where it is leaking .

Take your Time !! If your under pressure it will get very frustrating .

Old 08-06-2016, 07:38 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by shucksyall
so I blew it out with an air gun and still won't go past the 4th thread with my fingers and looks crooked .
sounds like it's cross-threaded, not a good sign.

i would run a compression check before putting the new plugs in, see what you are having to deal with... read the factory service manual on how to do it.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update spark plugs successfully changed and I flushed the radiator and replaced the thermostat but I'm still over heating . feels Like half the radiator is heating way faster than the other and the hose to thermostat from radiator has nothing coming through it . I'm replacing the cat converter and radiator soon will post how it goes when done and hopefully will not overheat again ... . also I think I found the leak in the seal where oil is coming out . thanks for the help so far!