86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 22r 2.4 carb hoses attach to

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 22r 2.4 carb hoses attach to

bought this truck and am having some problems getting it to run right. will run when choke is engaged but as soon as it warms up and choke disengages it will shut off. found these 2 lines disconnected figuring its my problem. well part of my problem. the drivers side barrel towards the rear of the truck doesn't seem to be connected to anything other then a little spring (figuring the linkage is gone but don't know for sure.) im wondering where the 2 hoses in the pictures go and if the drivers side barrel needs to be connected or is just ran off of vacuum? (if it needs to be connected anyone know any think i can use for a temporary fix?) any help is greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails 86 22r 2.4 carb hoses attach to-3-1-.png   86 22r 2.4 carb hoses attach to-4-1-.png  
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Im not to keen on the oem carb but these other guys know their stuff!

Last edited by superex87; 11-23-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM

From the look of those images the linkages are okay. The flap on the driver's side is the vacuum operated secondary. Your description of the symptoms suggest that there is a big vacuum leak. The picture with the hose from the front of the float bowl is the float bowl vent line; This should be plugged and not hooked straight to vacuum if there is no charcoal canister to hook it to. The larger ports in the vicinity of where you are pointing are big manifold vacuum ports for either vacuum brake booster or larger vacuum switching; I am suspicious that these are the source(s) for your suspected vacuum leak. These should be plugged or capped if they don't go anywhere.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by superex87
The hose in your second picture is the float bowl vent.
Originally Posted by hemsingd
The picture with the hose from the front of the float bowl is the float bowl vent line; This should be plugged and not hooked straight to vacuum if there is no charcoal canister to hook it to. The larger ports in the vicinity of where you are pointing are big manifold vacuum ports for either vacuum brake booster or larger vacuum switching
+1 or is that +2

anyhoo, the rubber line in the first pic is your brake booster vacuum line. Huge vacuum leak if it is not connected or if there are cracks, then small vacuum leak.

The rubber line in the second pic is for your Outer Vent Control Valve (OVCV). It is connected to a charcoal canister bellow the battery. That hose is only emissions related, it only serves as a vent. There is no vacuum on that line to mess up the idling of the engine.

Last edited by slow-mo; 11-20-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by slow-mo
+1 or is that +2

anyhoo, the rubber line in the first pic is your brake booster vacuum line. Huge vacuum leak if it is not connected or if there are cracks, then small vacuum leak.

The rubber line in the second pic is for your Outer Vent Control Valve (OVCV). It is connected to a charcoal canister bellow the battery. That hose is only emissions related, it only serves as a vent. There is no vacuum on that line to mess up the idling of the engine.
Not quite sure what +1 or +2 means. The '83 has 2 charcoal canisters under the hood. whatever the Toyota acronym for it is coming off of the carburetor, it is part of the evaporative emissions control system. One canister is connected to the vent for the gas tank and the other one located (as you mentioned) under the battery. Capped or not capped doesn't really matter for a smooth idle or stoichiometric mixture , but you wouldn't want to give full manifold vacuum to it as previously mentioned. Indeed it would be good idea to check for cracked and broken vacuum lines all over.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by hemsingd
Not quite sure what +1 or +2 means.
It's just another way of saying "dito", meaning I'm agreeing to the other two posters discription.

I am adding my agreement to anothers agreement.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM

thanks guys for the advice. im not all that mechanical so just so i get a better understanding. in the first picture i am talking about the hose with the screw in the end resting against my finger. not the brass obvious one with the open end
Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 PM

I'd wager that the screw is a vacuum leak. The 'Help' section of any auto parts store is bound to carry an assortment pack of rubber vacuum caps for that purpose. If you are feeling a little more adventurous you can unscrew the nipple fitting from the manifold itself and put a 1/8"NPT plug in it's place. Make sure to use a bit of PTFE Teflon tape or paste on the threads if you take that route.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjabas
in the first picture i am talking about the hose with the screw in the end resting against my finger. not the brass obvious one with the open end
I had to go out and look at mine.

It is difficult to see clearly because of the dark picture, but on mine, that spot has a curved metal port that is part of that large vacuum feed where the large uncapped port is visible in your picture. From there, the vacuum line runs under the air filter assembly. I believe that vacuum line is for the Hot Air Intake (HAI). The HAI aids in cold engine driving by drawing hot air from the shroud around the exhaust manifold.

The HAI is part number 17601 in the image linked below.

http://www.utoyot8.com/images/147907305/222660585.png

What your thumb is resting on is the vacuum port for the brake booster.

The large open "brass" (as you call it) port feeds a rubber hose that also goes to the air filter assembly. I believe it is for the Mixture Control Valve (MCV). I say "I believe" because I would have to unbolt my air cleaner assembly to verify, but I'm not going to do that. My answer is going off memory as well as the parts fiche link.

The MCV is part number 17680D in that same parts fiche.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Weber 38 hose routing problems

hey guys,
just had some questions on where the hoses route too. I do not have a charcoal canister. Any replies help. Thanks

Not too sure where these route to.