Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

5-speed swap half-way done!!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5-speed swap half-way done!!

So I had the last two days off work (work for the school district...) and decided to get my 5-speed swap going. I am still pretty green when it comes to working on cars, but I am learning! Figured this would be a good challenge to get me going a bit more on this stuff. And it has been... Most of the stuff has really not been to bad. Took my 4-5 hours to get the new pedal assembly in which is pretty ridiculous. Then I did not get a whole lot done the rest of yesterday. Got the driveshafts off and some of the cooler lines from the auto, as well as the shifters unhooked. Anyways... went and voted today, then got right to work. It will still 7:30 before I got the auto transmission out, but I was so proud of myself at that point! It was slow going, I would say 15 hours to get that thing out of my 4runner--but I got it!

After that I got the flywheel off, changed the RSM, put the new flywheel on, pilot bearing.. and that's where I got stuck. I had bought a clutch from a guy off the site here a few months back. It was a marlin clutch and had been used, but not much at all. Anyways, can't seem to get it to go on right. I put the clutch on and have the alignment tool, then try to put the pressure plate over it and it does not work. After comparing it to the clutch that came with the transmission I bought, I realized that I cannot even set the marlin clutch on the pressure plate and have them touch together like the other set does-- the spring assembly or whatever on the clutch plate is slightly too big for the pressure plate. Does that make sense? Just wondering if anyone has any tips, or can give me a hint. I am hoping it is something that is like "duh" I should have known that! I have the part with the springs sticking out further to be installed facing the transsmission (away from the engine).

So that's about it. Also having trouble with the soft line for the clutch. Putting the hard line in did not take any time at all, but can't really figure out where to put the soft line and where to mount it at.

I will have some pictures to put up. I did run into a couple wierd things-

The first was when I was taking the torque convertor bolts out--- the ended up only being 3 bolts. I thought there were supposed to be six of them??

And, after taking the torque convertor off it seems to have a chip/piece missing out of the shaft portion of it.

Oh, and the transmission I am installing is an R150F into a 92' V6. good times..
Old 11-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Well it's coming along. Got the new transmission installed saturday night, along with all the driveshafts and all that stuff.

I am still bummed about my clutch-- I ended up having to by one at the auto parts store as the one I had bought of a member here did not work. It's almost like he sent the wrong pressure plate as the clutch disc did not fit the pressure plate. (yes I should have realized this before, but didn't..)

What I have left:

-Connect the wires to the starter and put the front bolt in

-There are some brackets on the bottom front of the transmission that I need to put back on, can't quite remember how they went but should be able to figure it out fairly easily

-Finish hooking up the hydralic line and the slave cylinder and then bleed it. I think this will take me the longest of all of these things. I just can't figure out where to mount that soft line. I did mount the top of the soft line to the firewall, but have not finished the bottom part of it

-Do the wiring-- my goal is to at least get the clutch pedal switch hooked up so I can start it up tonight, and I am not worried about the other wiring yet

-Finish the interior stuff

-bleed my brakes (unrelated, but did a brake job a few weeks ago a need to do this again)

-Get the air out of the coolant line-- drained the coolant and put a new thermostat in since mine was acting funny.

--Drive off!

So hopefully tonight is the night. I have been working pretty hard on this, but it has been slow going. I am estimating 6 hours tonight and hopefully I will be done. The clutch line will most likely take me the longest. I am getting nervous now for all this--- I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, but it still makes me nervous. I have been working on this in a friends garage and I want to get it out of there so he can use it again.

Almost there!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 AM

The wiring is whats going to give you some trouble. You need to hook up the back up lights, the easiest way is taping into the wire off the nss on what was on the side of your auto. The ecm is also going to be looking at the nss to make sure that it is in either neutral or park, so you will have to either bypass the switch, or leave it connected to your wiring, set it in park and tape it up in a good safe place. You dont have to hook up the clutch switch, you can leave it unhooked, but it will make it so that you can start the truck without pushing down the clutch pedal, which can be dangerous if your not the only person who drives it, or you have curious kids like I do!!!!Hope this helps some
Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 AM

all you have to do is connect the two large pins on the nss plug together, that will simulate a park/neutral position, you can also run those two wires to the the clutch switch. the reverse lights are another pin on the nss plug, they will have to be jumped to the position sensor on the tranny.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I have found some really good posts about the wiring. I may just cross the wires for tonight depending on how far I get, but in the end I am defintily going to hook it to the clutch pedal as I don't want to take a chance of hitting someone accidently in a parking lot. I got married about 17 months ago and my wife has a 5-speed VW and that's the closest I have been to owning a 5-speed... so I am used to starting with an auto, so I know I will forget from time to time. Probably won't take too much longer to actually hook it up to the clutch pedal tonight.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
can you post up the posts taht you have found that tell you which ones are the reverse lights and 4wd lights?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 AM

Here you go-

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...mplete-126323/

Some descriptions of the wiring are in there somewhere. Also, at the bottom of the first post is a link to pictures--which are pretty nice to look at. there are not any pictures of the wiring though, just of the swap.

an update on where I am at- Still fiddling with the clutch line, I messed for a while and got to a point where it could work, but is not completely ideal. Getting that soft line in there has been a pain for me. Getting closer! I will finish the interior stuff on wednesday including the wiring and get this thing driving.