Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4runner supra mod, finally done

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
4runner supra mod, finally done

I got the supra mod done on the 4runner a little while ago and so far I'm pleased. Throttle response is a lot better and that annoying howl is gone. I have no idea what the noise was but when I'd goose the throttle by hand the stock air box would howl for a second or so and make the motor drop rpms in a hurry, that has now stopped. I also took a few seconds to clean out the TB (yuck) and it idles better. I'll be pulling the TB off this weekend and cleaning it out a lot more as well as pulling the IACV and cleaning that since I found a thread indicating that may be the source of my high idle when cold (2100 rpms for the first 4 minutes). If cleaning the IACV stops the cold idle issue I'll post up a thread so others can benefit from it.

Now all I have left to do is mock up and build the spare tire carrier off of the MC rear bumper (sort of easy) and mount it (not so easy since it came off the pickup) and pull the low pro bump stops and the runner is done until I can afford the lift. Then the truck is for sale and I'll take that money and lift the runner, drop in the front locker and put the dual cases in. Then we wheel!!!

All in all it was a good day under the hood.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
/me puffs on pipe....."I love it when a plan comes together"....lol!

Glad to hear your getting everything all dialed in! 'Bout time!

PICS OR NOTHING WAS DONE!!!!!!!

Last edited by a4runnerfreak; 03-25-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 PM

some pictures
Old 03-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak

No kidding! I've been waiting to get all the primary parts swapped over so I can start wheeling this thing and it looks like this Sunday may be the day.

Oh and nice A Team reference although I thought he smoked a cigar? Hannibal was the leader right?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:02 PM

could you be a little more specific on "supra mod"?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by jjrgr21
could you be a little more specific on "supra mod"?
It's a mod where you install a 1982 Supra MAF onto our 22re's. If you have time do to a search and do some reading it's been covered a lot. Search "Supra MAF" and use my name "Junkers88". You should find my initial install on the 86.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
No kidding! I've been waiting to get all the primary parts swapped over so I can start wheeling this thing and it looks like this Sunday may be the day.

Oh and nice A Team reference although I thought he smoked a cigar? Hannibal was the leader right?
He did. But I smoke a pipe, and I said it in place of him......lol
Old 03-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Yeah, technically its an AFM...

HA!! So, are you going to actually "wheel" this thing or just write about it...

lol!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak

PICS OR NOTHING WAS DONE!!!!!!!
I've been looking for an A-Team box-set for more than a year now. I used to watch that show when I was "sick" from school in the early 90's. I loved it. I think shows like the A-Team, Columbo, Hawaii Five-0, and Magnum PI beat the snot out of todays shows. /rant

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIfuaUTH9Y4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I did a search for the beginning of your supra mod...that's very interesting. I'm going to be looking into this more. Did you have to do anything besides put it in? I do find it kinda odd that it just works...I think I'll be calling around to some local part parks (they're not junk yards when you need something).
Old 03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
I did a search for the beginning of your supra mod...that's very interesting. I'm going to be looking into this more. Did you have to do anything besides put it in? I do find it kinda odd that it just works...I think I'll be calling around to some local part parks (they're not junk yards when you need something).
Trust me it works, Matt16 did a thread on this too(I think with inspiration from Junkers....) and I'm running this mod with the help between the two of them! Works great, total plug and play!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Ok great!!! I just finished reading that thread as well...Now off hunting and hope the little lady does not catch me buying more stuff for this thing. She doesn't understand, just a bit cranky because I have more in parts in this than what I paid for it. Got a really good deal though!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Yeah, technically its an AFM...

HA!! So, are you going to actually "wheel" this thing or just write about it...

lol!
Yeah yeah..... AFM/MAF/VMAF/....... I always get those mixed up but I know what I'm looking for when I hit the parts places.

Oh yes indeed I'm going to wheel it! Heck I wheeled the truck every weekend (and somethimes on the way home from work) although I was careful not to get to far into anything. With the runner I'm going to go as far as I can before nature forces me to turn around.

Admit it, you like reading my posts. It reminds you of the days before your runner was the monster that it is now.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:42 PM

She doesn't understand, just a bit cranky because I have more in parts in this than what I paid for it.
Yup most of us could say the same thing about our wives and rigs.

Be sure you get the Supra AFM (shut up Bigblue) with the right part numbers. I'd post them but can't remember what they are, just make sure the part is off of a 1982 Supra. It's the only year that is a direct plug and play.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by mikepr55
some pictures
Looks just like this but it's in my 4runner instead of my truck.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM

OK got it 82...wonder y they moved everything, switched the bat and the intake. I have a 92 and they are reversed, the intake comes across the rad. I did notice a bit of a difference when I took out the standard intake and put in a 3" pipe and a cone. I was surprised on how much difference it made. I also hollowed out the cat and next weekend I'm changing the exhaust to 2.25 from the manifold back (well from the little Y).
Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM

OK got it 82...wonder y they moved everything, switched the bat and the intake. I have a 92 and they are reversed, the intake comes across the rad. I did notice a bit of a difference when I took out the standard intake and put in a 3" pipe and a cone. I was surprised on how much difference it made. I also hollowed out the cat and next weekend I'm changing the exhaust to 2.25 from the manifold back (well from the little Y).
I guess I should have been more clear. In those pictures the battery and AFM have been swapped by me. Originally the battery was on the pass side and the intake tube ran across the radiator to the drivers side.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Gotcha!!! Any real reason why or just a shorter run for the intake?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 PM

yep! it used to pass the air over the hot radiator and engine.. now he's just suckin in the hot air from the engine bay. kudos for making progress.?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Gotcha!!! Any real reason why or just a shorter run for the intake?
Shorter run for the intake, trying to eliminate some of the heat that the stock intake tube would pick up off of the radiator, better location for the snorkle I was going to build and just to see if I could do it.

Quick Reply: 4runner supra mod, finally done