86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4runner smoking

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner smoking

Hi, I have a 1988 4runner with a 4 cylinder engine that has been rebuilt. It may have 1000 miles on it at the most. It ran good until the radiator started leaking and ended up blowing a head gasket. After replacing the head gasket the engine runs good but smokes. It doesn't start smoking until the engine warms up. I was going to get someone to adjust the valves since i've never done it before although, I would think it was a simple process. My question is, if the valves are not adjusted correctly would that cause the engine to smoke or do I have other problems? Before removing the head I poured some marvel mystery oil into the cylinders to help prevent rust since water got into the cylinders however, I have operated the engine, at idle speed, on three different occasions bringing it to normal operating temperature hoping the MMO was causing the smoke but I would think after three times it should be gone. Another question I have, before the radiator started leaking I was having alternator problems so "ALL" the dash lights came on. The lights would come on for a little while and then go off so when they came on again I just thought it was still the alternator so I kept driving so I could get home before dark without using the headlights. I didn't know the lights were on this time because the engine was overheating. I was told Toyota designed these lights to all come on at once to get your attention. Is that true? If so, why would Toyota design all the lights to come on at once.The 4runner also has a gauge but it never indicated the engine was overheating so I may have a bad gauge or sending unit. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
So the radiator leaked it's coolant while you were driving and the temp gauge didn't rise noticeably? You probably need a new temp gauge sender. Also, was the t-stat replaced when you got the new radiator? It could be stuck closed.

Sounds like you ran it long enough that the MMO's burned away so shouldn't still be smoking. A dry then wet compression test will help determine what's going on.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 PM

The thermostat was replaced when the engine was rebuilt which was no more than 1000 miles ago. When I shut the engine off the water was still spewing out the front of the radiator so I didn't think any harm had been done until I replaced the radiator. After installing the radiator I filled it with water and left the cap off to top it off once the engine heated enough to open the thermostat. As soon as I turned the engine over water started gushing out of the radiator. That was the first sign I had problems. How is the wet and dry compression test performed or should this be done by a mechanic? Thanks for the advice
Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 PM

The thermostat was replaced when the engine was rebuilt which was no more than 1000 miles ago. When I shut the engine off the water was still spewing out the front of the radiator so I didn't think any harm had been done until I replaced the radiator. After installing the radiator I filled it with water and left the cap off to top it off once the engine heated enough to open the thermostat. As soon as I turned the engine over water started gushing out of the radiator. That was the first sign I had problems. How is the wet and dry compression test performed or should this be done by a mechanic? Thanks for the advice P.S. is the dry compression test just the normal test where you place the gauge into the spark plug hole and a wet test maybe adding oil into the cylinder before the test?