Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4runner help. No clue where to start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner help. No clue where to start.

So I have an 87 4runner with the 22R in it (i think, it may be the 22re.)

Its got about 277xxx miles, and was running great till about .3miles until I was home.

I turned a corner to get home and all the sudden It started to lug, hard. Kind of like when your not giving it enough gas in a higher gear. There was alos a loss of power, and the dash lights turned on ( I believe it was the Check Engine light, as well as the Charge light.) I got home still luggin. and then shut her down.

Then I try to Start it up to get some information, but nothing. No clicks, no turning over, nothing.

It doesn't feel too hot, The coolant is not boiling. The oil looks like oil should, not like a delicious milk shake.

Last night My battery was dead But Im not 100 percent sure if its cause I left my lights on or not. I got a jump then drove home ( about 6 miles) and parked it. This morning when I went to work the battery was dead and I had to swap in a new battery.
(not sure if this is related or not but figure it cant hurt)

Im at a loss of even where to start to figure out whats wrong.
any help or direction would be great.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Lets start with identifying the motor. does it have a carb or EFI? If it has EFI it's the 22re.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM

EFI.. So the 22re
Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Did you notice your battery voltage on the way home. Sounds like you might have lost the alternator and on the way home your battery finally went dead... Thats happened to me before, Just a thought...

Good luck
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillin_guy
Did you notice your battery voltage on the way home. Sounds like you might have lost the alternator and on the way home your battery finally went dead... Thats happened to me before, Just a thought...

Good luck
Exactly what I thought when reading it

I've lost an alternator on the way to Mammoth... MIDDLE OF NOWHERE... and luckily made it to the next station where they let me camp til my alternator got delivered to me in the morn.

I've also had the 80A fuse blow(it's in your fusible link box right behind the battery/ Black / Large fuse with clear top window...) ....Look in and verify it's good, for the heck of it, k?

In the mean time, have your battery charged(or charge it yourself if you're equipped), as it's CLEARLY dead.

The 'lights in the dash' should be the Check engine light, Brake light will stay on and the Battery light. Not sure if the CELight always comes on in that sitch....

Best wishes, keep us updated

PS> You can upgrade your alternator(plenty of threads on here) or go for an OEM Inner Parts Replacement from Napa. I got a 70A from them for 98$ and lifetime guarantee, no questions asked, and it powers my 8" Dick Cepek 150W lights, just idling, without hardly any voltage bounce at all. I'm sure, if you need an alt..... Many will also put in their 2 cents on the best way to go....so you should be fine on Info input!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-24-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Right, so I got a battery getting charged right now, But the one thats in my 4runner now is shows about 12volts with a multi-meter... I feel like if my alt is dead then my battery should be a lot lower.

as far as I can tell none of those fuses by the battery were fried..
Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 PM

Hmmm, yeah, that's strange. It SHOULD be, I would think, a lot lower voltage reading than 12V.

Well, .... sounds like you have some other issues going on. Time to do one thing, first.... Get those codes, yeah?

Jump TE1 and E1 in the Diagnostic box, next to the fusible link box.... and then turn the key to ON, not starting it.. And then read how many flashes of the Check Engine Light(CEL) you get. If you have a Haynes manual the diagnosis for those codes is in the Emissions Section, toward the rear of it. Our codes, for 87, are 1-16 flashes, I believe. You might have a series of several flashes..... different numbers..... write them all down and report back.

A paper clip will work fine for jumping those terminals, btw. Or a piece of hard-wire.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Well I know how to get the codes.. Problem is, there is no currant going to anything. When I get the put the keys in and turn it to the start position nothing. I cant even turn my Headlights on. (those fuses are good too)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Wow, ... Ok........ Hmmmmmmm.... ur probably around here, right now, eh? >>> lol.... Ok, let's see.

FIRST, ... check in the driver kick panel by your foot for the IGN fuse, etc. Make sure one of those fuses didn't blow out(I doubt it as it seemed to gradually die, ..but why not check, right?) Then, I would start with checking all the grounds, including the chassis ground from back of head/block plate to firewall, neg. terminal to block, neg terminal to fenderwall next to battery... See if anything gave up the ghost/severed while hitting a ruff bump, etc. Also check the wiring to the alternator. Just a place to start.

Might wanna check those fusible links(IN THE WIRES) that run from terminal+ to fusible link box? Just see if it's dangling there, something like that. Sounds like somehow, the charge that your battery possesses is not getting to IGN(obviously, I know, ..just thinking out loud, lol)....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-24-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, ... Ok........ Hmmmmmmm.... ur probably around here, right now, eh? >>> lol.... Ok, let's see.

FIRST, ... check in the driver kick panel by your foot for the IGN fuse, etc. Make sure one of those fuses didn't blow out(I doubt it as it seemed to gradually die, ..but why not check, right?) Then, I would start with checking all the grounds, including the chassis ground from back of head/block plate to firewall, neg. terminal to block, neg terminal to fenderwall next to battery... See if anything gave up the ghost/severed while hitting a ruff bump, etc. Also check the wiring to the alternator. Just a place to start.
On it.. ...

and I aint too pissed... yet... I but once I cant get to work, or things get spendy then, ill be pissed. real bad
Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM

PS> Look at my post again.... I added a lil! lol. Sorry bout that.... I'm about to do a gig(I'm a Chef)... so I'm kinda on overload of info at the moment/multi-tasking. But while I wait for my lead cook for this party.... i'm on Yotatech, what else, right? lol.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:19 PM

which is why yer name is ChefYota.. very nice.. and thanks for all the help

And I work in a restruant too, Spend a lot of time on the ih8mud forums for my fj40

but any who. ..

I found this wire .. and it dosent look too great...

this is from the fire wall to the somewhere on the block, beats me.
1. would this be a problem. (probably)
2. how do I figure out where it whent/ goes

Last edited by linkspast; 08-24-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Having trouble posting the pic?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM

I guess so I just snapped a pic with my phone then emailed it to my self.. But I suppose that did not work cause yer all not logged in to my gmail. ill fix it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by linkspast; 08-24-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Have you also checked the grounds? Sometimes it's the stupid stuff that gets overlooked...
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 PM

Lol, sorry, pic wasn't up when I posted. I can't tell, does that wire look like it got hot? Short maybe?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 PM

Yep.... that be the "Head Block Plate to Chassis Ground".... I'm NOT SURE that it would cause such a dramatic issue.... But you DO NEED IT, so I'd start there.

Basically, you should feel the other side of that wire attached to a hoop-connector(or maybe just the connector) on the back of the head. The bolt that holds the block plate in(one of 4) also holds in that hoop-connector. Rig up another wire, or for now, ground that wire to the block plate with a battery jumper cable(you know, something SOLID and a good ground)...just to check and see if it's working/will help out with your issue? It might be the source of some of the Grounds inside the dash(I think it is)... but again, I don't think it's the source of ground for your Ignition, etc. Just jump it for now and see if it helps get your dash to light up, maybe?

Keep chasing grounds... along with the other stuff I mentioned... and come back and let me know. I'll be working from 5:30-10PM or so, PST.... Don't think I'll be able to get back on before then. But I'll try, promise.

Also, get an FSM if you don't have one and start tracking down the "NO power with key on" troubleshooting section. IT'S THERE, trust me. The Haynes HAS SOME, but very vague comparably, ya know?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Drillin_guy
Lol, sorry, pic wasn't up when I posted. I can't tell, does that wire look like it got hot? Short maybe?
Yeah, ...Just noticing that black marking on the firewall.... is that arcing on the back of the firewall? Did that wire melt off there? Not sure how, it's a ground, but if it's somehow getting juice in the cab/touching the other side of that ground.... that could be bad, for sure!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Id also check the Starter wire, if its shorted out on the block it could melt that ground and start causing havoc with everything
Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Here's a pic of how it's SUPPOSED to look.... insulated and then traveling downward to the head/back of head block plate>>>

See, behind the VSV breather, the black/yellow striped wire, traveling down to the back of the head? IT'S A PITA to get that bolt out,.... You'll need a 12 or 14MM(think it's 12mm) angled closed end/open end to get it out(unless you have a breaker bar(3/8") with 12mm socket directly attached to the angle portion... then work it in there on the socket and back it out, replace the ground and you should be good to go.

sorry, I don't have any pics of that install. Thought I did(strange I didn't, ...I'm anal about that stuff! lol).

Quick Reply: 4runner help. No clue where to start.