86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are 4 cyl carriers interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are 4 cyl carriers interchangeable?

Just like the title says. I picked up a lockright thats still in a carrier it was installed it, minus the ring gear. Can I pull my third member, remove my ring gear from my open carrier and install it on the carrier with the lockright?

4x4wire had a good right up on a lockright install, so as long as I mark everything well, I can get backlash to where it should be.

Just trying to figure out if I need to disassemble and then reassemble the lock right into my carrier.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM

just remove the lock-rite and install it in your 3rd.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rue86
Can I pull my third member, remove my ring gear from my open carrier and install it on the carrier with the lockright?
Yes. But considering the simplicity of just swapping the locker into an already setup carrier/3rd member, it's probably not what I'd do if I were you.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Make sure that your ring gear will work with that pinion gear before you do that. A 4.10 ring gear will not work with a 4.56 pinion.

But I agree with MudHippy and yotaman, take the locker out and put it in your carrier.

Either way..dont forget to check backlash.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 01-30-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 AM

Well you have to pull the ring gear to get the retaining pin out. Not as easy as just swapping the locker into the other carrier.

If your confused by this, 4x4wire has an install article on it. If I can use the carrier its in, ill just swap over the ring gear and reinstall it in the third member.

Would save me a little bit of work anyways.
Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Make sure that your ring gear will work with that pinion gear before you do that. A 4.10 ring gear will not work with a 4.56 pinion.

But I agree with MudHippy and yotaman, take the locker out and put it in your carrier.

Either way..dont forget to check backlash.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 AM

I re-read your question. The answer is yes, Put your ring gear on it and put it back in your 3rd. But still check backlash.

I was thinking you had a whole 3rd minus the ring gear. Haha. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 01-30-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well you have to pull the ring gear to get the retaining pin out. Not as easy as just swapping the locker into the other carrier.
Daaah....no you don't.
Not as easy as just swapping the locker into the other carrier.
Yes it is! Removing the ring gear is not the way you really want to do this...trust me(ring gear bolt lock plates, not good to reuse those). No, you DO NOT need to pull the ring gear to get the pinion shaft out. Reread your article(no link provided), or just look at the carrier you supposedly have. How's the ring gear going to stop the retaining pin from coming out?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 AM

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/lockright_locker/

Sure looks like the ring gear prevents the pinion shaft from coming out in this article.

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Daaah....no you don't.
Yes it is! Removing the ring gear is not the way you really want to do this...trust me(ring gear bolt lock plates, not good to reuse those). No, you DO NOT need to pull the ring gear to get the pinion shaft out. Reread your article(no link provided), or just look at the carrier you supposedly have. How's the ring gear going to stop the retaining pin from coming out?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Yea, the truck has 4.88 gears right now. The guy I bought the locker from replaces it with an arb, and he never took it out of the carrier.

The write up is pretty thorough. I'll still check backlash when all is said and done.

On a d44 or other axles you would have to worry about removing the ring gear. Unless the 4.88 ring is different from the 4.10 and allows the pinion shaft to slide out, ill just be swapping over the ring gear.

I re-read your question. The answer is yes, Put your ring gear on it and put it back in your 3rd. But still check backlash.

I was thinking you had a whole 3rd minus the ring gear. Haha. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon View Post
Ohh. The 4.88 carrier might need to be used then. 4.88s use a slightly different housing than the rest of them and they are not interchangeable, not sure on the carrier.

Edit: Found some helpful info

The FACTORY 4.88 V6 diff is unique!
- Axle code G144, white pinion paint code,
- generally came in 92-95 trucks/4runners with V6, auto tranny, 31" tires, and tow package.
- Housing offsets pinion towards ring gear, allowing ring gear to be thinner
- OEM Toyota gears are the ONLY gears that fit this diff due to the thinner ring gear. All other gear sets have thicker ring gears and do not fit.
- The carrier (case) is the same as the V6 diffs, so normal V6 lockers, LSD's, etc. will work in this diff

Linky: http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

So it seems that if you have 4.88, that they are out of a V6 truck/runner, and unless you buy the special bearings from inchworm, youll need to find a V6 locker.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 01-30-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 AM

I didn't realize I needed to give this much info.

But it's a 4 cyl, thats regeared (I'm assuming this) and not 4.88 3rd members from a V6. I could be wrong though.

I'll have to check when I pull the 3rd.

Thanks for the link on the info.
Ohh. The 4.88 carrier might need to be used then. 4.88s use a slightly different housing than the rest of them and they are not interchangeable, not sure on the carrier.

Edit: Found some helpful info

Linky: http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

So it seems that if you have 4.88, that they are out of a V6 truck/runner, and unless you buy the special bearings from inchworm, youll need to find a V6 locker.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 AM

You can tell if its a v6 or 4cly just by looking at the housing. 4cly has 3 fins, 6cly has 4.

From the same link as above.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 AM

Haven't spent a lot of time under the 4runner since I bought in a few weeks ago. But I don't think the rear third is as beefy as the V6 shown in the pics. I'll have to double check when I get home tonite.

If it's a 4cyl, i should just be able to swap the ring gear to the other carrier, and reinstall in the third, then check the backlash.

I appreciate your help rattlewagon!
You can tell if its a v6 or 4cly just by looking at the housing. 4cly has 3 fins, 6cly has 4.

From the same link as above.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i don't understand why you don't just make it easy on yourself and extract the lockrite assembly from the carrier and install it into your current 4.88 diff that's already setup? it's definitely the easier route and you get to check the locker for broken springs or pins which definitely happen.

one thing you definitely want to make sure though (and i'm no gear/diff expert) is that if you swap the lockrite over, that you have the correct locker for the carrier you're putting it into. 4cyl and 6cyl are 2 different designs.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Roger. I get that. Extracting locker from carrier. Easy enough. BUT I still have to remove ring gear from my current carrier because the ring gear prevents the pinion shaft from being removed... a necessary step involved in installing the lockrite. Check out the 4x4wire link above.

Everyone keeps telling me to just swap it in without removing the ring gear. Unless Kris Angel shows up, I'm pretty sure that pinion shaft isn't coming out without removing the ring gear...

I will be checking to make sure the carrier is a 4 cylinder, and that it is the correct one. No doubt about that.

Originally Posted by highonpottery
i don't understand why you don't just make it easy on yourself and extract the lockrite assembly from the carrier and install it into your current 4.88 diff that's already setup? it's definitely the easier route and you get to check the locker for broken springs or pins which definitely happen.

one thing you definitely want to make sure though (and i'm no gear/diff expert) is that if you swap the lockrite over, that you have the correct locker for the carrier you're putting it into. 4cyl and 6cyl are 2 different designs.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM

Here's a pick of the pinion shaft block by the ring gear. So you know that I can't just transfer it over without removing the gear!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
OK....i think the problem might be terminology used to describe the parts you were concerned with. can't speak for the others, but when I hear "pinion" and "differential" in the same sentence, I think of the actual pinion/input to the differential. i believe the pinions you're referring to are the spider gear pinions.

you are correct -- in order to get those out of a 4cyl diff, the ring gear has to come off first. V6 is more convenient with its split carrier, but still easy job. so long as your 4.88 diff is in fact a 2-pinion 4cyl diff your locker will fit just fine and I would still recommend you just swap over the locker only to your diff. this way you won't have to really worry about any differences in the settings between the two carriers/ring gears.