Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3zve Power Steering Pump replacement questions

Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3zve Power Steering Pump replacement questions

I purchased a used pump from a boneyard and have a few questions before I get into the replacement of my old one.

I have an 89 4x4 pickup with 3.0 the 3ZVE motor and am looking at the instructions on
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...11powerste.pdf

I'm a bit confused with the instructions, between the RN series and VZN series.
It appears I have the VZN series pump since the reservoir is attached. The RN series seems to have the reservoir on the drivers side. Is this for the 4 banger? The documentation describes main points of removal and installation for the RN series (point 1) does Loosing Pully Nut (point 2) apply to the 3vze?

My pump has the "adjusting stay" (page 3). Does that mean I don't to loosen the Pully Nut to remove the belt? Why do you have to loosen the pully nut, if the tension can be adjusted with the adjusting stay?

And because the boneyard cut the belt to remove the pump, they didn't loosen the nut. Am I screwed?
(this is my real question)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
You normally need to loosen the pulley nut because, with a new pump, you need to transfer the pulley from old pump to new. It's much easier to loosen the pulley nut while the belt is still in place, so the pump shaft doesn't rotate while you're trying to break it loose. Plus, getting the pulley out of the way will greatly ease accessibility to the other mounting bolts and brackets.

However, since you got the pump from a boneyard, you already have the pulley mounted on your replacement pump. If you can get to the brackets behind the pulley to install the pump with the pulley in place, then no, you don't have to remove the pulley. The belt adjustment is independent of the pulley mounting nut.

BTW, it's a lot easier (and somewhat safer) to pull the pump if you remove the battery first and get it out of the way. Also remove the fan shroud.

Just one more thought. New pumps from autozone are about $60. At that price vs the pain of possibly replacing the pump again in the near future, I don't know that I would go through the hassle of putting on an unknown junkyard pump vs. going new.

Last thought. Make sure you are using ATF in the pump, not power steering fluid. PS fluid attacks the seals and makes them leak.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM

That all makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:18 AM

What I learned when replacing mine was to bleed the system when filling the res.

When you have new pump installed, Jack the front of the truck up just so the tires turn freely off the ground.

Fill res half full, then crank engine over. Do not start it. Then fill res again. Crank engine one more time without starting.

Now top res off to cold line. Now start the truck and check fluid level. If fluid level drops, top back off

With res full and truck running slowly turn tires to left until stop and right until stop do this 6 to 10 times then check fluid level by this time it will prob be to the hot line.

If fluid is steady at the full line drop truck off jacks and take her for a spin.

By doing this you won't get air bubbles in the system. From what I've learned there's alot more to it than just dumping fluid in the res and calling it good. Hope this helps and good luck