Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze Timing Belt / Water Pump / What else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
3vze Timing Belt / Water Pump / What else?

I am starting to assemble a parts list and some info on tackling the timing belt replacement on my 93 pickup 3vze myself. Of course, water pump will also be replaced when I do this and since I am pretty sure it has never been done before I'm also considering changing the tensioner/idler pulleys. Truck is at 235k miles and I'm trying to save money by tackling this myself. Just a couple of quick questions for you experts (I have read tons of info here that has been very helpful, so thanks!):

1. How important is it to use OEM parts for this (belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioners, etc.)?
2. What else should I consider changing while I'm in there? Anything around the oil pump area?

I can get a kit from the big parts stores that has belt, water pump, tensioner/idler/actuator for around $200.
I can also get a package from a Toyota parts dealer with all of that plus drive belts and thermostat for $400, all OEM parts of course.
Both prices are much cheaper than paying someone to do it, but I would love to hear your opinions on how much I should put into this.

Thanks!
Stuart
Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
"Nobody ever got fired for using OEM parts."

But you're driving around a truck where all of the other parts are 21 years old. Me, I don't think it's so important to get replacement parts that will last another 21 years. I've had perfectly good luck with good aftermarket parts.

You don't NEED to replace the pulleys unless you can feel something in the bearings. If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait until I could feel the existing ones.

What is the torque for the crank bolt? (hint: it's more than you could put on it by standing on a breaker bar!) So how are you going to keep the crank from turning as you tighten it up? You're going to need a tool to hold the crank, and there are many excellent shop-built tools described on this site. Some folks will try to get you to use the starter to loosen the bolt, which is fine if you're really brave, but you STILL need a crank-holding tool to put it back together.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the middle of putting the top in of my 3vze back together from a HG replacement at #6. I would suggest using GATES as the timing belt and it does come ina "kit" with a waterpump, idler pully, gaskets and tensioner with spring. it was less than $200 and when I get all of this back together and get another 100k miles I will be happy as a pig in ˟˟˟˟˟. As far as a crank holding tool I built one for less than 20 bux and can post a pic if oyu like. It is ugly as hell but worked coming on and going on.