Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze...... Really could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze...... Really could use some help

Ok, so i bought this truck and it had a bad head gasket. I tore it down, sent the heads out for a valve job and resurfacing.Got the heads back, torqued them down according to the fsm. Installed the intake manifold.........and I'm stuck. For a few reasons, one being I accidentally broke the fuel line to the cold start injector. Does anyone know the part number to replace this? is there a way to fix it? or where i can get a new one? Also, the machine shop left the cam sprockets on so i am having a hard time finding a tool or a way to get the sprockets off to install the timing cover. Also is it necessary to remove the crank pulley to set timing or can i just set the timing mark to 0 and it will be ok?

I am SO frustrated with this truck and am ready to throw in the towel. If anyone is in the Corpus Christi area and knowledgeable of this vehicle I would gladly pay you to help me get this thing back on the road. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. i have reviewed quite a few threads about rebuilding this engine but i cant seem to find the specific answers i need. Thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:48 PM

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM

There is a hex in the middle of the camshaft that you can put a big wrench on, then use a breaker bar to remove the cam sprocket bolt. The injector line can be found at about any junk yard and if you post in the "wanted" section here for one I bet you could have one on the way in minutes. You don't have to remove the crank pulley to put the timing belt on if the belt is already on the sprocket but you really should be replacing the belt while you are in there if it isn't practically new.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you removed the timing belt without setting it at top dead center first then you need to remove the crank pulley. If its a manual trans truck put it in high gear and loosen bolt.

Cam sprockets have to come off the put rear timing cover back on. You can try some back yard type ways to hold the spocket like the one above. but the best was is with a special cam sprocket holder tool.

You can probably by the cam sprocket tool from toyota while your there to get your fuel line. Toyota sells you just about anything. fuel line plus cam tool from toyota if you want. Or you can just order the tool online.

If you already tourqed the head down then you could just hold the sprocket with a pry bar.... Not a recommended method...
Old 09-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
You can probably by the cam sprocket tool from toyota while your there to get your fuel line. Toyota sells you just about anything. fuel line plus cam tool from toyota if you want. Or you can just order the tool online.

If you already tourqed the head down then you could just hold the sprocket with a pry bar.... Not a recommended method...
The SST from Toyota is probably crazy expensive. I used a pry bar and it's fine...just be careful. And make sure you torque the crank pulley to spec...I'd put loctite on it too just to be safe. If that bolt backs out the pulley will ruin the crank and you'll have to rebuild again.