Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE Opening up the exhaust w/o a lot of expense

Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE Opening up the exhaust w/o a lot of expense

OK all 3VZE exhaust advisors:

The upper end rebuild is done. New Rock Gaskets. 94SR5 4WD 5 speed is running great again. To be brief we just want to keep it from blowing another head gasket.

One tip is to open up the exhaust "all the way back" to 2 1/2 inches or larger.
Put in a free flow cat and any muffler.

We will not be spending the money to do the headers and pulling the heads as long as it continues working well as it is now. going on the first 1000 miles after rebuild top end.

Would taking the problem to a muffler shop be the best way to go?
The original exhaust pipes are still solid. Muffler and cat could probably be replaced. Free flow cat much create less heat build up and back pressure.

Heat is the enemy, that's clear. Considering all options.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't step up to a 2.5" exhaust, the 3.0 doesnt flow enough exhaust to justify that size of piping. I would stick with a 2.25" (mandrel bends would be a major plus) go with a nice freeflow cat ( magnaflows are nice) and a nice muffler ( magnaflow,flowmaster etc.).

If you have the money you could always get yourself a set of headers and go from there.

LCE offers a very nice exhaust system, headers, crossover and optional 2.25 mandrel bent catback. Nice system, if I had the cash I would go with them.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heat being the enemy, i would highly recommend Downey's Cermaic Headers. but since you dont want to do headers right now, and you have to do monthly emissions testing, Jay351 makes a good point. but if you live in a place where they only do emissions testing when you move, then i recommend something close to straight pipe like what i did.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cheapest way to open up the exhaust on a 3vze is to remove the entire exhaust, remove the cat, remove the stock exhaust manifold, and pick up a set of ear plugs.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
The cheapest way to open up the exhaust on a 3vze is to remove the entire exhaust, remove the cat, remove the stock exhaust manifold, and pick up a set of ear plugs.
iv been there done that, you loose power and its a great way to get a ticket. but i did convince more than a few people that i had a v8 putting out over 400hp under the hood, the idle sounded really cool but anything past that just sounded like crap
Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 PM

No joking here: Best stock ehxhaust@best price

All jokes aside here yotas. I can log on to Autozone.com or Napa.com and figure this out myself. Just thought that some of you had been down this trail before and mentioned where to get the best Cat (free flow of course) that would be a direct bolt on at the best price.

We live way out so usually we UPS or Fed. Ex a great product@ a great rice then bolt it up with the usual 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, or 17mm Crafstman wrenches and say yahoo, "I'm a homegrown Toyota Tech" Not really, just trying to live, learn, and save a dime. Of course we have the FSM, wouldn't wrench one without it. Just follow the pics and directions.

So in short: Who supplies the best free flow cat via the internet that is a direct replacement. No welding necessary. Just performance/price/ without going the header route.

Trying to save another headgasket job to be plain honest.