Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze Manual Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze Manual Transmission Question

I have a 90' v6 3vze 4wd manual 4 runner with over 250k miles. It has been great to me over the past eleven years and I plan on keeping it for a few more years. The other day while I was coming to a stop I felt something in my shift stick as I was idling at the stop sign. Normally there is a certain amount of play when the stick shift is just sitting there if you move it to the left or right, up or down it has a circular play field like normal and when you get to the point where you need to push in the clutch you can feel a gummy tension area normally. Well I still feel that tension but now I feel like a weening vibration or light grind like a lack of fluid in the gears... the best way I can explain it is if you could feel the vibrations of a squeaking power steering pump. When it is idling without the clutch in you can hear a settle weening. But while in gear driving you don't notice or hear any issues. I checked the transmission fluid, the differential fluid and the rear diff fluid. The only one low was the differential fluid right behind the transmission. It was about two good squirts of 75-90w gear oil low. My fluids in the other areas are topped off good an show a nice light honey color so nothing is wrong there. Driving it after topping off the diff. fluid the symptom is still there it didn't get better or worse. I'm the second owner of the 4 runner and have always kept all of the maintenance squared away, but what is this issue? Its the original transmission and clutch, is this is symptom of the clutch or transmission going out? If so how much life is left in it and when should I look at fixing it... is it safe to drive it etc.? Just random questions but I can't seem to pinpoint this issue. Any feedback would be great.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If the transmission is still shifting in and out of gears just fine, then there's nothing "wrong" with it. The clutch will start slipping WELL before it actually gives out. So if it isn't slipping, then don't worry about it yet.

You could try some shifter maintenance and see if it helps alleviate the "symptoms" you're experiencing.

By shifter maintenance I mean replacing the shifter seat and bushing(socket). They're both cheap and easy. And if they haven't been replaced in 250k miles, then they probably need to be anyway.

You want these, AND ONLY THESE, parts from Marlin Crawler. There are no substitutes for these parts from MC(as in the OEM parts are dog crap in comparison).

HD shifter seat.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats

HD shift lever bushing(socket).

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...t-lever-socket

If the lower shift handle boot is cracked/torn, it would be a good time to replace it as well.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...t-handle-boots

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-24-2010 at 01:04 PM.