86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze head gasket and short block replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze head gasket and short block replacement questions

Stuck between a rock and a hard spot. Doing headgaskets, and pull the heads off to discover this. Cyl 6 ( which had 90psi) is crusty. Gasket didn't look that bad but coolant showed signs of bad hg, and the drivers side was leaking. I'm having thoughts of this possibly being a short block issue, but I'm unsure. I'd hate to puthe too much money in the heads to have a bad Ringland. The real question is with it having 200k miles, would it be worth decking the heads and taking a chance of slapping them on, or look for a new motor?
Attached Thumbnails 3vze head gasket and short block replacement questions-20170107_152026.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 01:12 PM

Your post talks about #6, but is not the picture of 1,3,5? Getting the heads surfaced is pretty cheap, (think it cost me $40 per head) but once you add all the gaskets and other parts, it seems to add up quick. A new short block will probably run $1500. I just surfaced the heads on mine, but just got it back together, so cannot say how long it will last.

I read lots of posts about doing a 3.4 swap, but that was beyond my skill set.

Last edited by DallasTX; 01-10-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Cylinders are 1 3 5 on passenger side, front of truck to rear and 2 4 6 on driver side, front to rear.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was the hg leaking into the combustion chamber? I'd say not, or it'd be scrubbed clean. Usually when there's coolant in the combustion chamber it's very clean.

Get your heads tested (valves.) Guessing you've got a valve that's not sealing well on that chamber.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Andrew, Based on the issue you are describing, it is most likely a bad or blown head gasket. Cylinder 6 is where the head gasket issue occurs from and if coolant is leaking on the drivers side, this has most likely occurred.

My HG blew back in January of 2015 and It ruined the cylinder ring on #6. I decided to have the whole engine rebuilt by a local shop as the rest of my 4runner was in good shape.

If you want to fix the issue, it will not be cheep anyway you go. Because of the high mileage on your engine, you might need to rebuild/replace both the heads & short block to get it running again.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Janos01
Andrew, Based on the issue you are describing, it is most likely a bad or blown head gasket. Cylinder 6 is where the head gasket issue occurs from and if coolant is leaking on the drivers side, this has most likely occurred.

My HG blew back in January of 2015 and It ruined the cylinder ring on #6. I decided to have the whole engine rebuilt by a local shop as the rest of my 4runner was in good shape.

If you want to fix the issue, it will not be cheep anyway you go. Because of the high mileage on your engine, you might need to rebuild/replace both the heads & short block to get it running again.
Pretty sure a head gasket is no longer a problem since there isn't a head on the engine he just showed us...

Sorry couldn't resist a little trolling I guess.