86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze head gasket rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3vze head gasket rebuild questions

Hi all. Just bought a 93 extended cab pickup with the 3.0 in it and just under 250k. I've been wanting one since before I could drive and finally found the right one. I drove it about 270 miles pulled out of a parking lot and that was it. White smoke white smoke. I took it to a local mechanic and he basically told me what I already knew: head gasket. And it would cost about $2000. I decided to go it on my own and it's gone well, but I have a few more questions for the veterans before I put it all back together. And they are as follows:

- I've taken the entire top half apart, had the heads redone, and am in the process of cleaning everything I've taken off (any recommendations on cleaners?). It looks like there has been some engine work at one point because I can see some cross-hatching on the cylinder walls. I've replaced the knock sensor wire, but not the knock sensor. I haven't taken off the oil pan to clean out the mess because of the pain it looks like it will cause (front diff, tie rods, etc). I was planning on flushing everything with some transmission fluid (mostly detergent anyway) and then changing the oil several times after I put it all back together to filter out anything I've missed. My question is: is there anything I should worry about on the block side of things besides head flatness?

- I'm trying as many things as possible to keep this from happening again to an old engine, until I have the money and means to throw a new powerplant in it all together. Here's what I've thrown at it so far:
- LC Engineering headers and studs
- K&N cold air intake
- ISR mod
- MLS head gaskets and studs
- OEM knock sensor wire replacement
- OEM plugs and wires
and I think that's it. Oh, new headlights too . I'm down to choosing the right oil and the right antifreeze (unless someone brings up something else I need to look at). Both are subjects I can't seem to come to an answer on. I've heard a thousand different recommendations for them both. I've heard good things about Royal Purple products, but I've been told that with an engine this old it's not going to make the difference I'm looking for. Also, I'm leaning toward the Toyota Red antifreeze. Any thoughts?

I'm about at the end of my budget, but I try to find the BEST to avoid nickel and diming myself to death. Any advice is welcome to this eager newbie. Thanks in advance to all.

- Jake
Old 11-27-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you have things well in hand. Put on a new timing belt, idler pulleys, and water pump while you're at it. Clean the cylinder block gasket surface really well, and then clean it again.

Your engine may not have been worked on before as it's not unusual to see the original crosshatch machining on the cylinder walls of a 3.0 after this many miles. My cylinders had almost no ridge and the machining was visible too, after more than 210,000 miles when I pulled the heads off.

I use brake parts cleaner on most of the parts. Simple Green works well on caked on grease, along with a wire brush (on non-gasket surfaces). You'll find as many different opinions on oil as you have responses to the thread. I use Mobil 1 15w-50 in warmer months and Mobil 1 10w-30 in the winter.

Toyota red antifreeze is good stuff.

Good luck and enjoy the project!
Old 11-27-2009, 02:40 PM

I had no problem cleaning up parts with a parts brush and paint thinner in a large storage type tub. Once the main grease was removed I was able to complete the cleaning by wiping them down well before a fresh coat of 1200 degree heat paint.
I'd be sure to torque everything in @ Toyota spec's and use a thread lock compound where applicable and wipe down all gasketed surfaces well with acetone.
Do to my running across numerous rounded off nuts/bolts I replaced many and found that the exhaust manifolds and crossover went back together so much easier than it came apart.
Good Luck
Old 11-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the info! I did infact get a new timing belt, i forgot about that one. I'm not looking forward at setting the timing on this thing either. any recommendations on best setting? i'm just planning on going factory on the timing unless convinced otherwise. I hadn't planned on the water pump as it seems to be in pretty good shape. My main concerns for cleaning are my piston heads and inside the intake plenum of all things. It looks like a burnt marshmallow in there. I'm gonna have to strip all the hardware off it and soak it in some cleaner. Simple green or thinner and then some acetone huh? ok, we'll try that. thanks!