Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZ-E Headgasket recall?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 3VZ-E Headgasket recall?

Okay so as I'm sure most people know there was the recall on the headgaskets for the 3VZ-E engine. Well a recent check of the government site shows no recall. This comes at the time as my headgaskets decide to fail.

So i just want to know is there still a recall on them or not? i called a Toyota dealer here in Canada and they tell me its an American truck, which is news to me, then they tell me that there is no info on the recall (campaign as they call it) for the headgaskets on my truck.

Now i do not believe it has been done because my steering recall has not been done yet. and secondly its an American truck and yet my speedo is in KMs so i believe (with the condition of the truck itself) that there are not as many kms as it shows.

For those that will ask, its a 1993 Toyota Pick-Up Ext. Cab, 4x4, V6
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...8-t100s-66901/
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Correct. A Special Service Campaign is not a "Recall." Best I can tell, the head gasket campaign was 16 years ago https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/w...all-3-0-a-343/ (so if your head gasket has failed only once your truck made it to 19 years, Toyota wasted a lot of money on that campaign!). I was unable to find any original information on this (you didn't give a url for the government site), but I, for one, would be surprised if Toyota was giving out free head gaskets to trucks that old. Not all years/models were covered by that campaign, but I think yours was.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
TSB EG94-003 October 7, 1994
Name:  EG94-003.jpg
Views: 3156
Size:  147.5 KB
http://www.toyotapart.com/3VZ-E_CYLI...T-EG94-003.pdf

More info on the 3VZ-E Head Gasket Special Service Campaign (V06):

3.0 V-6 HEAD GASKET RECALL

Note to Readers: It appears that sometime around 2004, Toyota has decided to end this recall. This the information that I'm getting from customers that have tried to pursue the recall and meet all the below conditions, but have been turned down. However, if you wish, you might still contact Toyota or your local dealer to see if they are willing to attempt the recall.

To view official Toyota documents, see bottom of page.....

I've included this brief page to keep the Toyota 3.0 V-6 owners out there aprised of the ongoing Toyota V-6 headgasket recall.

This recall has been ongoing for several years. Many are under the impression that this recall in now over, but in fact that is not the case. Unlike recalls of the past or by other manufactures, this one is ongoing for an indefinate period of time and regardless of mileage of number of owners.

POOR HEADGASKET DESIGN

When Toyota introduced the new 3.0 V-6 motor during the 1988 model year, it was the first V-6 engine installed in a Toyota truck. Toyota has had problems with the V-6 headgaskets since the beginning. They always seemed to fail early in the engine's service life for no good reason. I've heard this is due in part to the materials used in making the gaskets, such as a lack of abestos or the design in the gasket. Whatever the case, it caused a lot of V-6 owners heartache.

In October 1996, Toyota came around and initially all 3.0 V-6 gaskets were recalled and replaced at no charged, as long as the trucks were less than 8 years old and had less than 100,000 miles on them. This initial recall involved all V-6 engines made from 1988 through 1995. However this has subsquently changed. In December 1997, Toyota declared that all trucks made before Jan, 1990 would no longer be covered. Probably because they fell outside of the 8 year limit. But Toyota modified it's policy to continue the recall, indefinately, on trucks manufactured between Jan, 1990 and Oct, 1994. Trucks manufactured before Jan 1990 are not covered, so in general, 1988 and 1989 models are no longer covered, while most if not all, other 3.0 V-6 models are. The 8 year/100,000 mile limt no longer applies to trucks made after Jan. 1990.

WHAT TO DO

Toyota has committed itself to repairing each and every V-6 that has the original headgasket and falls under the limited model year production. Toyota has even taken the extra step of repairing or replacing entire engine blocks where damage has occured due to the faulty headgaskets. Dealers have been instructed to inspect the engine blocks for scoring or other damage. Typically, damage is found around the #1 and #6 cylinder walls. When damage is found, Toyota will either replace the entire engine short block with a brand new unit or bore out the cylinders and rebuilt the short block. All at no cost to the owner.

It is important to note that while Toyota will replace the headgasket for free and fix any damage that has occured regardless of engine age or mileage or number owners the truck has gone through, Toyota will only fix it once. Toyota considers the problem to be a faulty gasket design. Once the gasket is replaced by Toyota, the problem is considered solved. Any issues arising after the gasket replacement and inspection are considered the fault and responsibility of the truck owner.

To determine whether your truck was fixed prior under the recall, one only needs to call any local Toyota dealership and provide them with the truck VIN #. The recall is called the "VO6 Special service campaign". Some dealers have been known to either not know what's going on or to not want to participate in this program for whatever reason. If you run into any problems, simply hang up and try another dealership. If the truck's gaskets have not been replaced according to the dealership checking the VIN, then you should immediately schedule an appointment to have them replaced. Not only could you be saving your engine, but there is no telling when Toyota might decide to end the recall once and forall.

For Official Toyota document # 1
For Official Toyota document # 2
For Official Toyota document # 3
http://www.brian894x4.com/V6headgasketrecall.html

Other pertinent details:

The 3VZE engine is experiencing possible "head gasket" problems. The dealer has been covering the first repair up to 100,000 miles driven, but they are not covering the second head gasket repair. Our head gaskets have always used the latest design change, containing the OE Sanwa made head gaskets, 11115-65033 and 11116-65033. But the actual problem is w/ the head design, and NOT the head gaskets. Some engines needed no repairs, others required multiple repairs.

http://www.redlinemotive.com/replace...#ixzz2ChNEOKMy

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-19-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do end up finding out whether or not Toyota is still honoring the Special Service Campaign, I'm sure I am not the only one out there that would like to know.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You can contact Toyota US here. They will let you know what campaigns are open on your truck..
http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html