Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZ-E Fuel Pressure Pulsation Dampener Repair or Delete updates?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3VZ-E Fuel Pressure Pulsation Damper Repair or Delete updates?

I have done a ton of searching through this forum and competing forums for information on the FPPD that commonly leaks on the 3VZE motor. Mine has a slow slow leak, one that just makes the damper wet, and makes the cab stink.

I feel the boot is still present on it, and was wondering if it could be repaired? I have yet to pull the plenum so I am not sure if the screw is present. Does the screw contribute to the leak if it is removed, or is it just in there as a pressure reference? Do these things walk themselves out of the fuel rail?

I ordered a $75 replacement from Rockauto, as I am simply not willing to spend $150 at Toyota for a part like this.

I read around that the 22RE doesn't have the FPPD in 89, and it was deleted by toyota. Has anyone deleted one of these off of a 3VZ-E motor?

I have seen stories and pics/video of these things spewing gas or dripping gas but again, mine hardly gets my finger wet at this point.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 11-19-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The Fuel Pressure Damper (it's Damper; it doesn't "dampen" anything) can't be repaired; you have a hole in the rubber diaphragm. Here's some pictures of what they look like inside: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...octite-266710/ . While the leak is not uncommon in a 20-yr old truck (like mine), I'm pretty sure I'll get another 20 years out of my new one before it leaks.

According to Toyota, http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h22.pdf the screw is just a pressure indicator as you say. It has nothing to do with whether it leaks. There was a post here recently which referenced an article where the author knew a guy who talked to a guy, who thought replacing an FPD with missing screw "fixed" a miss. (suggesting that the screw did more than indicate pressure). Do they "walk" themselves out? Again, after 20 years, anything can happen.

Like all leaks, they only get worse, never better. And you're talking about gasoline, dripping right over the exhaust manifold. I'm sure you've spent $75 on a lot more frivolous stuff.

If you wanted to "delete" the FPD, you'd need to machine a plug to fit where the FPD goes. Which would cost you a lot more than the $75 for a new part. Which I think will last you another 20 years.

By the way, you're going to have to remove the aft cross-over fuel pipe to get a wrench on the FPD. So you'll need 4 crush washers (in addition to the two on the FPD, which should come with the new one). I've only found them at the dealer, but they are cheaper than dirt so get a few extra. No, you can't reuse them, no matter what anyone on this list says. Remember: gasoline.

Last edited by scope103; 11-19-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:01 AM

Scope, this is great information thanks so much. I wasn't trying to sound cheap, I will replace the part, its just that the truck is my daily driver and this has put me in a bad position.

I noticed where this thing leak too haha, perfect storm.

I ordered a plenum gasket, but I know nothing about these crush washers...

Forgive my ignorance but what are the crush washers I need? I'll go over to the dealer and get them, but Ive had an issue with my parts guy at Toyota before….is there a part number?

Originally Posted by scope103
The Fuel Pressure Damper (it's Damper; it doesn't "dampen" anything) can't be repaired; you have a hole in the rubber diaphragm. Here's some pictures of what they look like inside: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...octite-266710/ . While the leak is not uncommon in a 20-yr old truck (like mine), I'm pretty sure I'll get another 20 years out of my new one before it leaks.

According to Toyota, http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h22.pdf the screw is just a pressure indicator as you say. It has nothing to do with whether it leaks. There was a post here recently which referenced an article where the author knew a guy who talked to a guy, who thought replacing an FPD with missing screw "fixed" a miss. (suggesting that the screw did more than indicate pressure). Do they "walk" themselves out? Again, after 20 years, anything can happen.

Like all leaks, they only get worse, never better. And you're talking about gasoline, dripping right over the exhaust manifold. I'm sure you've spent $75 on a lot more frivolous stuff.

If you wanted to "delete" the FPD, you'd need to machine a plug to fit where the FPD goes. Which would cost you a lot more than the $75 for a new part. Which I think will last you another 20 years.

By the way, you're going to have to remove the aft cross-over fuel pipe to get a wrench on the FPD. So you'll need 4 crush washers (in addition to the two on the FPD, which should come with the new one). I've only found them at the dealer, but they are cheaper than dirt so get a few extra. No, you can't reuse them, no matter what anyone on this list says. Remember: gasoline.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 11-19-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Cheap is good. You discovered RockAuto, didn't you?

Here's a picture of the cross-over (you can see the FPD under it on the left of the photo):

Get to know a website like:
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18186

You'll need to re-start from the top and insert your specific year/model/etc, but I'm pretty sure the crush washers you'll want are 90430-12005. Heck, do your parts guy a big favor; print the drawing, and write your VIN right on the drawing. Hand it to him, and he'll have everything he needs to confirm you have the right part number. (You can even print the prices, but don't be an ass and expect him to match internet prices. You just want him to think you're an okay guy who isn't going to keep wasting his time by asking for the wrong part each time. And maybe he'll give you the "independent mechanic" price.)

And if no one else has said it, welcome to YotaTech.

Last edited by scope103; 11-19-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
Cheap is good. You discovered RockAuto, didn't you?

Here's a picture of the cross-over (you can see the FPD under it on the left of the photo):

Get to know a website like:
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18186

You'll need to re-start from the top and insert your specific year/model/etc, but I'm pretty sure the crush washers you'll want are 90430-12005. Heck, do your parts guy a big favor; print the drawing, and write your VIN right on the drawing. Hand it to him, and he'll have everything he needs to confirm you have the right part number. (You can even print the prices, but don't be an ass and expect him to match internet prices. You just want him to think you're an okay guy who isn't going to keep wasting his time by asking for the wrong part each time. And maybe he'll give you the "independent mechanic" price.)

And if no one else has said it, welcome to YotaTech.
Thanks for the welcome. I'll go pick these up and a few extra, I am not sure if the replacement FPPD is going to include them, it doesn't specify. You have been a great help. I am glad I asked.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 AM

The job is done. The part I used was Standard Motor Products Part # FPD6 and it worked out really well and was a little over $75, as opposed to the Toyota OEM which was $150.

Thanks to the picture above I was able to avoid damaging that green part that the vacuum lines go into, and I had just enough clearance to remove the damper by simply removing the top vacuum hose from that unit.

The standard motor products replacement was only slightly different in design, as the bolt head did not have an elevated step for the crush washer as the OEM one does, but the crush washer still aligned itself well, and the truck is leak free and running great.

My intake plenum gasket was in good shape so now I have a spare.

Thanks Scope 103, the crush washers for the gas line were correct and saved me a headache.

All is well in Toyota Land.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89fourrunner
The job is done. The part I used was Standard Motor Products Part # FPD6 and it worked out really well and was a little over $75, as opposed to the Toyota OEM which was $150.

Thanks to the picture above I was able to avoid damaging that green part that the vacuum lines go into, and I had just enough clearance to remove the damper by simply removing the top vacuum hose from that unit.

The standard motor products replacement was only slightly different in design, as the bolt head did not have an elevated step for the crush washer as the OEM one does, but the crush washer still aligned itself well, and the truck is leak free and running great.

My intake plenum gasket was in good shape so now I have a spare.

Thanks Scope 103, the crush washers for the gas line were correct and saved me a headache.

All is well in Toyota Land.

I changed my fpd same part number as your fpd6 but for some reason gas was still leaking through the washers. I tried to tighten it up as much as possible and I ended up breaking the mushroom piece off. I did it gradually to see if I he leaking would stop but it never did than I guess I tightened it enough to break it. Any help or suggestions of what I’m doing wrong? I will need to get a replacement part again.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shawnsta671

I changed my fpd same part number as your fpd6 but for some reason gas was still leaking through the washers. I tried to tighten it up as much as possible and I ended up breaking the mushroom piece off. I did it gradually to see if I he leaking would stop but it never did than I guess I tightened it enough to break it. Any help or suggestions of what I’m doing wrong? I will need to get a replacement part again.
Just went through 3 day nightmare involving 2 of those fbd6 dampers. They have inherent design flaw. The more you tighten, the further you separate the 'the mushroom' from the threaded part. I was stuck in auto parts store parking lot with leaking gas and they kept selling me these flawed parts..they all broke before getting even close to torque(enough to crush washers and seal gas). I'm guessing some percentage if them do not break(at least initially) so no seems to know about the problem or they don't care. I just got an ebay seller who was selling them by the truck loads to pull them from their shelves. Took a few emails as they ignored me initially. Now, I'm on phone/email with lawyers looking into lawsuit to manufacture. If you have one of these on your vehicle, you are putting yourself and others at risk! Please contact me if you want to be part of class action case. We need to shut these import products down!
Old 04-16-2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by TheWeirdSide
Just went through 3 day nightmare involving 2 of those fbd6 dampers. They have inherent design flaw. The more you tighten, the further you separate the 'the mushroom' from the threaded part. I was stuck in auto parts store parking lot with leaking gas and they kept selling me these flawed parts..they all broke before getting even close to torque(enough to crush washers and seal gas). I'm guessing some percentage if them do not break(at least initially) so no seems to know about the problem or they don't care. I just got an ebay seller who was selling them by the truck loads to pull them from their shelves. Took a few emails as they ignored me initially. Now, I'm on phone/email with lawyers looking into lawsuit to manufacture. If you have one of these on your vehicle, you are putting yourself and others at risk! Please contact me if you want to be part of class action case. We need to shut these import products down!

YEP! The old autozone got me as well 😡 just replaced my headgaskits and did some valve work and figured i would address my stinky dampener while I was in there... boy did I have a wakeup call. Felt like it wouldn't torque down...thought I stripped the threads but after a few more turns she caught and snuged up good. Put her together and started her up and let idle for about 20 minutes then as a rev her up by hand at the TB the SOB let lose and soked me, my truck, my wall, and my dog in gasoline. My garage still smells like gas and this happened last weekend 🙄