86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

35s, 5.29s and lockers front and rear!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35s, 5.29s and lockers front and rear!!

ok, im planning on getting 5.29 gears with 35in tires on my 92 toyota pickup extra cab with a 22re and i wanna get lockers front and rear, but i heard you cant use oversized tires with powertrax lockrite lockers. is this so and have any of you had any experience with this kinda stuff? along with the 35s im gonna istall a 3in bodylift kit on top of my 5in suspension lift, ive heard some people have had bad experiences with body lift kits so whats your guys idea on any of these topics?? any help will be very much appriciated!
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Thats a lot of lift, just cut your fenders
Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 PM

5 inch suspension plus a 3 inch body lift? To clear 35's? Seems a bit too much to clear just a 35.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:06 PM

thats alot of lift....

my buddy clears 35's no problem with about 3-4" of bodylift (hockey puck wayne gretzky lift) lol...

Your suspension lift should be adequate. If you feel the need for a body don't go for 3"...see if you can get 2"
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM

well i know it might clear with just the five inch but with out another 3in i just dont like how it looks, looks too crammed and i just came across these 35s for cheap, im planning on getting something like 37 or 40s later.
Originally Posted by Justinlhc
5 inch suspension plus a 3 inch body lift? To clear 35's? Seems a bit too much to clear just a 35.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 4" bracket, 3" body, and bj spacers and I can rub my 36's pretty easily. As a matter of fact, the back of my truck is up almost 10" and I can even rub the back. Who the hell wants to cut up a nice truck?

Btw, your bl will be a lot more trouble free than your bracket lift. Body lifts are great. They get the truck up off the tires and make it easier to work on too. I've had mine on for 14 years now and only once had to tighten up one bolt because it started rattling.

Do your truck the way you want.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-09-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:47 AM

I ran 35's and lock-rights for about 4 months. Was pretty hard on them in south Jersey terrain and never had a problem. Running aussies on 4cyl thirds now on 38.5's and still no problems. I'm never on rocks however.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David_mx70
ok, im planning on getting 5.29 gears with 35in tires on my 92 toyota pickup extra cab with a 22re and i wanna get lockers front and rear, but i heard you cant use oversized tires with powertrax lockrite lockers. is this so and have any of you had any experience with this kinda stuff? along with the 35s im gonna istall a 3in bodylift kit on top of my 5in suspension lift, ive heard some people have had bad experiences with body lift kits so whats your guys idea on any of these topics?? any help will be very much appriciated!
Check into Aussie Lockers, I run one and love it, so does Matt16 (Sp?) his writeup sold me on it. 5.29's are the gears you want, I would just go with the 3" body lift, they're cheap, dont raise COG much, and work good, just run a nerf bar or slider to cover the frame if you want.. You CAN use oversized tires with those lockers, whoever said you can't is a moron, Me, Ovrrdrive, Jay351, Tacoma750, and a buttload of other people run body lifts and LOVE them. Makes working on your truck ten times easier. Although if you plan on running over 35's-36's I suggest you do a Solid Axle Swap or you might snap the crap outta steering parts, cv's, etc... I run some fat sticky 33's and haven't broke hardly anything but a rear ring gear (4.10) cause I was being stupid with the skinny pedal.. No biggie though.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:20 PM

thanks for the advice, i think im gonna go with the aussie lockers 3in body lift, 5.29s and 35s
Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Check into Aussie Lockers, I run one and love it, so does Matt16 (Sp?) his writeup sold me on it. 5.29's are the gears you want, I would just go with the 3" body lift, they're cheap, dont raise COG much, and work good, just run a nerf bar or slider to cover the frame if you want.. You CAN use oversized tires with those lockers, whoever said you can't is a moron, Me, Ovrrdrive, Jay351, Tacoma750, and a buttload of other people run body lifts and LOVE them. Makes working on your truck ten times easier. Although if you plan on running over 35's-36's I suggest you do a Solid Axle Swap or you might snap the crap outta steering parts, cv's, etc... I run some fat sticky 33's and haven't broke hardly anything but a rear ring gear (4.10) cause I was being stupid with the skinny pedal.. No biggie though.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would really consider cutting fenders before I put on a big body lift. One reason pickups are better off road compared to 4Runners it their OCG is lower. It sounds like you must wheel it through some pretty harsh boulder fields if you need 37" tires, so keeping the body untouched should be the last of your concerns.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
since he wants 37's or 40's.....does that automatically mean he crawls over some HUGE boulders...if hes wantin tires that big..i imagine he muds it..

of course thats just me..i for one will NEVER rock crawl my truck...trail riding with a few small rocks here and there MAYBE..i dont like rocks..i've seen more break in the rocks than i have in the mud...and the body damage that you WILL get..no matter who you are..or what you drive..

as long as your not COMPLETELY ignorant when your muddin...you'll be fine...

of course i admit..i was stupid..and i went through a hole that i seen a 4-wheeler make it through no problem at all(2wd 4 wheeler)...and i sunk my truck up to the headlights...will i ever do it again..NO...will i go back through that hole...ya DAMN RIGHT I WILL!!!!!..im gonna conquer that mofo (after i get some bigger tires..4in lift..e-locked rear)..

and theres not a dang thing wrong with body lifts..as long as its not over 3in.

now these chevy's with the 8in body lifts..thats a different story..

you can clear the 35's on the 5" suspension lift...personally..i think you should buy the body lift...but not install it untill you get the bigger tires..maybe that will make everyone happy..it wont look to crammed..hell 35's on a 4IN suspension lift dont look crammed...

but its your truck..do what you please to it..lol
Old 04-09-2009, 01:20 PM

This is my play truck and i do alot of playin in the mud with it but here in north west montana theres alot of rutted trails and if you dont have big tires it gets pretty difficult to get around (especially where i wanna go ). if i was playin in the rocks ide prob consider an sa swap but for what i use this truck for i dont think its worth it. I definitely DO NOT want to cut the body up! this is the first truck i rebuilt from engine to body so i have way too much time invested in the body to just hack into it.
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
since he wants 37's or 40's.....does that automatically mean he crawls over some HUGE boulders...if hes wantin tires that big..i imagine he muds it..

of course thats just me..i for one will NEVER rock crawl my truck...trail riding with a few small rocks here and there MAYBE..i dont like rocks..i've seen more break in the rocks than i have in the mud...and the body damage that you WILL get..no matter who you are..or what you drive..

as long as your not COMPLETELY ignorant when your muddin...you'll be fine...

of course i admit..i was stupid..and i went through a hole that i seen a 4-wheeler make it through no problem at all(2wd 4 wheeler)...and i sunk my truck up to the headlights...will i ever do it again..NO...will i go back through that hole...ya DAMN RIGHT I WILL!!!!!..im gonna conquer that mofo (after i get some bigger tires..4in lift..e-locked rear)..

and theres not a dang thing wrong with body lifts..as long as its not over 3in.

now these chevy's with the 8in body lifts..thats a different story..

you can clear the 35's on the 5" suspension lift...personally..i think you should buy the body lift...but not install it untill you get the bigger tires..maybe that will make everyone happy..it wont look to crammed..hell 35's on a 4IN suspension lift dont look crammed...

but its your truck..do what you please to it..lol
Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 PM

If you start goin over 2 inches of body lift, you'll start having to modify a couple things, the shifters, steering, gas filler neck etc...lots of people run body lifts with no problem. Some people like 'em some people don't because they read online that they are bad. If you do it right with a quality body lift, you'll be fine. If you do it with hocky pucks or 2x4's you'll be running into trouble.

As for running 40's on ifs don't!! You'll break steering components left and right along with cv's amongst other stuf as soon as you touch the throttle (which you'll have to be careful with even with 35's).

Plenty of people run 35's with 5 inches of lift, you'll be fine w/out a body lift. Maybe some minor rubbing at full compression or full lock, but nothing a BFH or a sawzall cant take care of if you're into that kinda thing. You can't fit a tire that large without rubbing without trimming a pinch weld, or the bottom corner of a fender.

Last edited by 89silverpu; 04-09-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:01 PM

i blew up 5 front ifs diffs with 35s. so be careful with the skinny peddle. and if you want a body lift i wouldn go higher than 2". with 3" it really starts stretching things. i had a 5" susp. lift with a 2" BL and removed the BL because the truck looked "skyed out" way to tall for 35's it still looks to tall with out the BL "IMO". Hopefully by next winter i will be running 39.9 iroks with my 5"susp. and a lil trimming.
to each his own
Old 04-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is my play truck and i do alot of playin in the mud with it but here in north west montana theres alot of rutted trails and if you dont have big tires it gets pretty difficult to get around (especially where i wanna go ). if i was playin in the rocks ide prob consider an sa swap but for what i use this truck for i dont think its worth it. I definitely DO NOT want to cut the body up! this is the first truck i rebuilt from engine to body so i have way too much time invested in the body to just hack into it.
So you're willing to risk tipping over and damaging a tonne of sheet metal to save a couple square inches of sheet metal?? When I lifted my truck 2 inches, it felt a lot tippier. Done properly, fender trimming looks factory.

read here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386066

Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

thanks for the advice, i think im gonna go with the aussie lockers 3in body lift, 5.29s and 35s
No problem man, you will love those lockers, Have fun! If you need any other advice PM me.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've driven a 1985 chevy shortwide 4x4 with 54" iroks..and TONS-O-LIFT..and it actually wasnt as tippy as i though..and i was going through some DEEEEEEPPPP a$$ ruts...i've also driven a 98 dodge dakota sittin on 38's..still ifs..and was EXTREMELY stable..

as long as you know what your doing..you can avoid a roll over..i've had some close calls..been on the passenger side 2 wheels..because i was younger and stupider at the time..now that i have a good 3yrs of muddin experience under my belt..i can take some bad turns in the mud and not even come close to flippin it..its all about knowin how to drive..and knowing the limits of your truck!

i mean..i know my truck wont go through the same stuff that a truck with 36's or bigger went through..so i dont try it..and if i look at a hole...and i know its WAY deep..i wont go through it..i know the limits of my truck..i know how fast i can take corners on the street before i start scaring myself..
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu

As for running 40's on ifs don't!! You'll break steering components left and right along with cv's amongst other stuf as soon as you touch the throttle (which you'll have to be careful with even with 35's).
Refer to Toyvana and a guy from florida running IFS with 38"+ tires. No problems.

The hardest I've pushed my front diff was when I was yanking a Chevy 1500 laying frame and suspension in 4LO, with crazy CV angles... no blown diff. This is the hardest I plan to push my truck, but I have 35's and no broken diff, and I was at 5000RPM a lot of the time, and no my cv's aren't destroyed.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:20 PM

Thanks for your help guys, all of your input is really helpful
Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OP. I think you'll like the Aussie lockers. I gave them a call about the larger tires since they used to have a caveat that limited the tire size to under 31's. The lady I spoke to said that the lockers are good up to 35" tires and in the case of lower hp motors (like the 22re) probably much larger to include 40" meats. The initial stipulation was due in part to folks running 40's with 400+ hp at the rear wheels and shattering axles. It's not the lockers fault when a dana 44 explodes.

I think you'll be damn happy with a pair of Aussies.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-09-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 35s, 5.29s and lockers front and rear!!