Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3 slow engine question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 slow engine question

My 88 3.0 is finally going down after 315K miles. The head gasket issue most likely, along with low compression across the board, no compression on the back 2(broken rings,or stuck valves), oil leaks and knock sensor issues. This motor does not have what I assume is an oil cooler on the drivers side engine block.
I picked up a 91 model 3.0 with 129K that had a knock, but otherwise ran well. I noticed this one has the oil cooler line that has the water pump line going to the cooler on the side of the block.
Both will require rebuild, and probably the newer engine is the better candidate, but is there any issues with having/not having the oil cooler provision, and does any body know if there is an interference issue with the cooler in an 88 4runner?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some definite advantages with having an oil cooler. Especially with this 3.0 of ours. Mine doesn't have it but I know when I tow with mine the oil pressure starts to drop. Not because of any major leak but the oil just starts thinning out (heating up) so much it'll start to lose pressure!
Sludge in the oil system is the only thing to look out for with oil coolers. My only experience with a vehicle that had an oil cooler was a nissan sports car with a turbo and some blockage happened at the oil cooler due to some sludgy oil. I don't think that would happen with the 3vze though.
Ever since I found out that some of these engines have one I've been thinking about installing an after-market oil cooler my self.
Now here is a dancing Chubaka monster teddybear thing for your pleasure.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:33 AM

Thanks Budro. I figured so. I had a simular setup on another domestic truck that was pretty much useless. I will carry forth with the plans to build the newer engine with the cooler intact. Ive always run synthetic oils after break in and never had sludge issues, even after overheating incidents. Had plenty of oil leaks though!!
Any plugs for a favorite machine shop in your area? I have always dealt with a great performance shop in Waco, but he will only reluctantly work on the 3.0. He keeps trying to get me to put a dang bowtie power in it, and I am not ready to go that route yet!!
Old 04-08-2010, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey 88... do you thing you could post some pics of that oil cooler setup? I just picked my heads up from the shop today and we are pulling the block this friday (to replace front and rear seals). Outlawmike was talking about the oil cooler setup, and I cant think of a better time to do mine then now. I see the plug in the block where the oil cooler line will go, and see the correct water pump with the extra port... but I have never seen where this oil cooler mounts or the size?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:56 AM

I can describe it. Its about 4 inches in diameter, anout 2 1/2 inches deep and bolts to the block in the place of the plug you mentioned. there is a line that runs from the water pump to the cooler, and another line that runs from the cooler to a nipple in the side of the block. I think ours has a plug where this nipple can be inserted, but I don't know for sure, as I havn't scraped off the sludge on my block to see for sure. I'm in France until the end of May, so pics are not possible. Maybe someone else who has the 90 up 3.0 will chime in with some pics. By the way, the lines from the waterpump and cooler look to be somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2 inch rubber hoses.
Thanks for the reply