86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3-Point Seatbelt for Middle Bench Seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3-Point Seatbelt for Middle Bench Seat

Hi everyone, I have a 1995 DLX Pickup, 2WD, 4 cylinder. It has a bench seat with "3" spots. The driver and passenger seats have usual 3-point seatbelts (shoulder+lap belts), but the middle seat only has a lap belt.

I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the middle seat's seatbelt with a 3-point version. The driver and passenger shoulder pulley is not on the seat, but on the cab of the truck, so I don't know where such a pulley would fit for the middle seat. Has anyone ever seen this, or done this? Modern vehicles come with 3-point belts for middle seats.

Thanks!
JF
Old 04-24-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
I've never seen it done to these trucks. The only place to mount the third point would be above the back window. Wouldn't be an option if you have an extended cab. Keep in mind that the mounting point has to be able to restrain a person in a front end collision. If it fails the belt will simply slide through the buckle end and the middle passenger will have the equivalent of no seat belt at all. Even if it does all work out perfect, you have the hassle of fighting the seat belt to tilt the seat forward and get back there. Just how important is it to have a three point belt? How often do you have the cab full?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:13 AM

I should have specified that I have a regular cab, not extended cab. I just recently had some potential passengers opt to rent a car instead of riding with me, the excuse given being the middle seatbelt. I guess if they are that kind of people, the lack of airbags would be the next excuse anyways. If it's an easy (& safe) mod, I would do it, but if it the new seatbelt is going to be potentially-less-safe than just the lap belt, I'll leave it as is.

JF
Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
They might have just been too nice to say that three people in a standard cab Toyota is going to be cramped and uncomfortable. If they rented a car I'm guessing it was a long trip.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Yeah I'm not blaming them if it's a comfort thing, even if they didn't want to tell me directly. It was just for getting around town during their visit, and maybe up to ~1 hour drives at a time. They probably have pretty different assumptions and expectations about safety features and comfort than I do.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would imagine that being a very tight fit for 3 adults. My grandson and I are quite cramped and the eldest grandson is 12. I am trying to figure what to do when they both hit their mid-teens... We had a 3 hour round trip this weekend... Glad we are close! Haha...

grey
Old 04-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
anything is possible, you could get a universal 3 point seat belt, mount it to the rear firewall, making sure it is anchored to a good solid point. You might be able to use the two mounts for the left and right belts near the tunnel
Your upper mount would be the challenge being under the window or above the rear window.
I have used a mount like this in the past https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-sbhp?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-autoloc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxPbHBRCdxJLF3qen3dYBEiQAMRyx S1csL0mnB2zHse4JSE-RHpqYbcktwv5sdOV63PIPsJAaAsGZ8P8HAQ

Last edited by dropzone; 04-24-2017 at 12:39 PM.