Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3 newbie questions

Old 01-06-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 newbie questions

I just got my 94 2wd pickup running after a 2 year stint sitting. Bought truck for $300 with a blown motor. Replaced motor and damaged auto tranny in process ( I know my bad). Finally got tranny repaired at shop and officially in business.

Question 1: I notice a leak at the oil filter. Is this an oil cooler gasket leaking? If not what could it be?

Question 2: My exhaust manifold is missing top 2 right bolts/studs and it's noisy. Is this repairable? All the other bolts are torqued down. If I remember correctly we may have stripped something.

Question 3: What would cause the motor to shutoff when leaving park? I have to give it gas before I throw it in gear or it shuts off. Seem like fuel delivery. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Just what engine might help!!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just what engine might help!!
22re. Sorry about that major detail. Anyhow it looks like the leak was coming from filter itself. Off to wally world.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have used heli-coils to fix stripped out exhaust bolts. Getting the drill in with the correct size bit can be tricky if it is near the fire wall. It can take a stubby drill to access it. Sounds like you are on the right track to get the oil leak fixed. Just make sure the old seal came off with the filter and a new seal is on the new filter.

As far as your fuel system. Todays gas is crap. If it has been sitting for a couple of years, I would clean the entire fuel system out starting at the tank all the way to the fuel rail. This truck sitting for a couple of years, I would do a complete tune up by the manual, clean the Intake System of all of the carbon from the EGR.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have used heli-coils to fix stripped out exhaust bolts. Getting the drill in with the correct size bit can be tricky if it is near the fire wall. It can take a stubby drill to access it. Sounds like you are on the right track to get the oil leak fixed. Just make sure the old seal came off with the filter and a new seal is on the new filter.

As far as your fuel system. Todays gas is crap. If it has been sitting for a couple of years, I would clean the entire fuel system out starting at the tank all the way to the fuel rail. This truck sitting for a couple of years, I would do a complete tune up by the manual, clean the Intake System of all of the carbon from the EGR.
Thanks for the advice. I have a haynes manual and will follow it step by step. Fixed the leak last night by replacing oil filter. It seems to have rusted and deteriorated and the bottom so alls good there. I also put in lucas full system cleaner at $9 to see if it helps for the fuel problem. Off to Autozone for exhaust gaskets and nuts. Thanks again.

Search this Thread