Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3 alternators in less than a year!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I've been searching and haven't found anything else quite like this, so here's my problem:
1987 Toyota 4Runner 22re
I had the original alternator that was in my truck when I bought it go out in February. The power steering pump had been leaking on it for too long (had to replace that one twice too! Stupid aftermarket parts!) I think that's what took that one out. Replaced it with a Napa alternator....thought it was my best choice without paying for dealer parts! That one lasted til about October, replaced it again, part is warrantied, and the battery shortly after. That one only lasted about a month then I started my truck one day and smelled electrical burning and saw smoke, right when I went to shut it off the charge/brake light came on. So I thought it'd be wiring but we checked everything, all wires looked good and weren't burnt and there was power at the back of the alternator. So once again replaced it. I haven't driven it many times since then but I'm hesitant as I don't see how so many went out in a row. Just curious if anyone else has seen anything like it and knew of anything causing this to happen or if I've just been unlucky. If anyone had any suggestions on anything else to check I'd appreciate the input. Since its all internally regulated and wires looked good i can't imagine what else would be the problem!

Last edited by kinsey.clay; 12-29-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Thought 22RE went out of 4rnrs in 1995.

Time to pull out the ole multimeter. Check grounds. Check load on alt compared alt rating. Can't say what yours is rated at but my stock was like 60 amp. Easy to go over that with stereo, amp, heater blower, head lights, etc....

Is power steering still leaking?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:21 AM

No the 22re were in first gen they mostly had the 3.0's in the 90's ones. Some of the earlier runners has just the 22r but mines fuel injected. I've checked everything with the multimeter all seems normal and where it should be. Power steering pump is no longer leaking...my gear box leaks but it's not on the alternator. I just don't see what could make the alternator go out especially with it internally regulated, but just seems odd I've gone through so many makes me not comfortable driving it very far!
Also cleaned up the ground last time I replaced it, put a new end and grounded it somewhere better and replaced cable ends when I replaced my battery!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Have you every upgraded the battery cables to a larger size.

Also the wire from the alternator B terminal to the Fuse Block these get so thermal cycled burnt and brittle they can no longer conduct enough current.

Don`t feel bad I went through 4 alternators in 5 days till I Ordered the parts from Toyota and rebuilt the original one.

Curious just why someone put a 22re engine in a 97 4Runner a reverse 3.4 swap??

Last edited by wyoming9; 12-29-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:43 PM

Ahhh I see the confusion, sorry guys, I will change it, not a 97 an 87! Sorry not sure how I missed that! I have not upgraded the cables and that's worth a check, just checked voltage and visuals of the wires I'll see about that other wire as well...might be worth replacing just to be sure! Yeah i wanted a Toyota one but they want outrageous money for it that's not worth putting into my truck but I'm stressed out this one's gonna go bad again and leave me stranded cuz up til now it's always worked out and i haven't gotten stranded but my luck I would in the dead of winter!

Thanks for the input I'll check those cables and wire and maybe just replace them to be safe!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Yes if you have a 1987 4Runner the Big 3 or 4 is a must these cables were small when new after all this time it will cure a bunch of issues..

Because of where the alternator sits it gets lots of heat from the exhaust manifold. Just cooks that wire
Old 12-29-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Yes if you have a 1987 4Runner the Big 3 or 4 is a must these cables were small when new after all this time it will cure a bunch of issues..

Because of where the alternator sits it gets lots of heat from the exhaust manifold. Just cooks that wire
Makes sense! I'll try that and hopefully not burn through anymore alternators cuz it's getting old replacing it!