86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 vz-e

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 vz-e

I was wondering if the 1988 3.0 v6 is the same as the 3.0 in a 1993 t100. Mainly wanting to know if it would be a direct swap.
​​​​​​
Old 05-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
the 88 was a sort of one off.
this thread will have some info for you
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...k-3vze-187741/
Old 05-24-2017, 04:14 PM

I read that but it never really said anything about similarities of the years of the motor. But thanks tho.
​​​​​​
Old 05-24-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
which motor are you wanting to swap in to which vehicle?

it's not a direct swap. i don't recall offhand what exactly all the differences there are, but it's not many....relatively speaking. depends on the answer to the question i posed as to what to use for your build.
i'd swapped in a rebuilt late 80's 3vze into my '92. may have been an '89. not sure as it was years ago. i'd have to go back and check records.
anyhow, i kept all the electronics from the '92, swapped the sensor cluster (back of the motor behind the plenum) out replacing the 80's for the '92. kept the plenum and vacuum rail for the '92. all the emissions stuff i kept from the '92. my 4rnr's an auto, so i had to keep the ecu to drive it...hence keeping all the '92 electronics. ah, and the dizzy is different, so i kept the '92. in short, i suppose, all i used from the '89 (?) was the heads, lower manifold, block, timing ass'y, and exhaust manifolds.

hope that helps?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
which motor are you wanting to swap in to which vehicle?

it's not a direct swap. i don't recall offhand exactly what all the differences are, but it's not many....relatively speaking. depends on the answer to the question i posed as to what to use for your build.
i'd swapped in a rebuilt late 80's 3vze into my '92. may have been an '89. not sure as it was years ago. i'd have to go back and check records.
anyhow, i kept all the electronics from the '92, swapped the sensor cluster (back of the motor behind the plenum) out replacing the 80's for the '92. kept the plenum and vacuum rail for the '92. all the emissions stuff i kept from the '92. my 4rnr's an auto, so i had to keep the ecu to drive it...hence keeping all the '92 electronics. ah, and the dizzy is different, so i kept the '92. in short, i suppose, all i used from the '89 (?) was the heads, lower manifold, block, timing ass'y, and exhaust manifolds.

hope that helps?
Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I know for a fact that the injectors and their connectors used in 88 were different from the other years. That said, as mentioned above the real difference is going to be in the electronics, including the dizzy. Get an engine and switch all of your electricals(sensors, dizzy...) from the old engine to the new and you should be good. there is one thing to note here... If you are in possession of a Kommifornia vehicle your emissions will be different then the other 49 state vehicles. Shouldn't be a huge issue, but you will have more complicated electricals, so you may need to swap intakes.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:05 AM

Unrelated but question on the 3.0 (won't let me post anything new since I'm a newb). Long story short have a 88 4runner with the 3vze that I bought with a "new" engine replaced 5 years ago but with a rod knock. Story goes kid had the engine replaced and the shop that installed it left one of the flywheel bolts out and it dumped the oil out quickly and developed the knock. Kid parked it and fought the shop that installed it but they denied any type of warranty because the kid bought the engine elsewhere and brought it to them. It then sat up and passed through two friends of mine over 5 years with grand intentions of fixing it but never got around to it. I work in a svc dept at a GMC dealer so I had a tech tear it down and sure enough one of the flywheel bolts was missing and had very slight damage to the # 5 main.

Anyway polished the crank and put new bearings in and a new clutch (SOAKED in oil), new plugs and she fired right up and ran beautifully. No overheat, no noise but she was spark knocking badly. Cleaned the very little fuel out of the system and set timing to 15 degrees but now has NO power. A friend before I bought it had the distributor out and I think it might be off a tooth. I heard these can be a little tricky. Any ideas? Maybe the distributor still out of range somehow? EGR possibly or converter?? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:53 PM

That information greatly helped. I was going to help a guy put the 88 motor into a 92 or 93. Not sure what he is going to do now.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
I have a 3VZE off of a 1995. Needs head to be rebuilt. Will let it go for cheap if you are close enough to Los Angeles to pickup (assuming you would be interested) I'll throw in wiring harness and computer as a package.